cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Part timing with family & toys

Colorado71
Explorer
Explorer
We're a recently retired family of four (two young kids) looking for some serious adventure and fun out there on the road for 4-6 months of the year.

Right now we have a truck/TT that we've owned for the past 7 years. We never did get to use it as much as we planned, but it's given us some great insight into the type of RVing we like to do.

We'd like to split our time between boondocking and National Parks and the occasional RV park (dumping/washing cloths etc). Mostly along the Rockies where we live and the Desert/west coast.

The wife has a 2 door jeep wrangler that we want to use as a toad, and I have a dirt bike and sport bike that I want to bring along (~700lbs) so were looking at a hydro lift. There's also four mountain bikes that we'd put on the back of the jeep (hanging hitch rack).

We think we have two options:
1) buy a new Newmar New Air 33'. We're not a fan of this idea though as we don't like the idea of taking a new vehicle on dirt roads or taking the huge depreciation hit.
2) buy an older 2002-2007 (pre def) coach like a Monaco Dynasty (38'), Country Coach Allure or Intrigue (37') or 36' Foretravel.

Questions:
1) Given the weight of the jeep, motorbikes etc do we need a tag axle?
2) Should we expand our preferred length criteria from 36-38' to 40' so we could consider the Monaco Signature/Executive, Country Coach Magna or Foretravel U320? We're afraid this will limit our camping options but we know we'll have to comprise somewhere.
3) Are there other options we're not considering? Maybe a 37' Allegra Bus?
4) If we add an after market system like Hadley or HWH Active Air will this give us extra ground clearance to better navigate dirt roads?

Thanks for your help!
4 REPLIES 4

Colorado71
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
The two young kids need to be in school.

They're home schooled.

Colorado71
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
C71, the bigger the RV, the more comfortable your family will be. For all the toys that you want to bring, a tag axle would give you plenty of CCC.

You will want at least a 10,000 lb. towing capacity as I'm sure you are aware, the shorter coaches may not have that capacity.

I wouldn't be excited taking a class A coach on dirt roads, especially, if they are uneven and rutted.

All of the coaches that you mentioned in #2 would be very nice but condition and maintenance will be paramount! The older coaches (pre-DEF) may need upgrades to the TV's, electronics, etc. The DEF coaches actually get a little better mileage and have more HP vs. the coaches with the DPF (diesel particulate filter).

We had the DPF in our '08 Dynasty (42 ft.) and never had any problems with it and drove it almost 70,000 miles. Our current coach has the DEF system and it works as designed, no problems (45,000 miles now). I would not be apprehensive getting later model coach.

Good luck,
MM.

Thanks for the input MM.

My biggest concern is taking a 40ft coach on dirt roads. It's really hard to judge how much clearance they have since most pics show them with the airbags deflated.

I think it would be a lot more feasible with after market air bags that can further raise the coach (at low speeds).

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
C71, the bigger the RV, the more comfortable your family will be. For all the toys that you want to bring, a tag axle would give you plenty of CCC.

You will want at least a 10,000 lb. towing capacity as I'm sure you are aware, the shorter coaches may not have that capacity.

I wouldn't be excited taking a class A coach on dirt roads, especially, if they are uneven and rutted.

All of the coaches that you mentioned in #2 would be very nice but condition and maintenance will be paramount! The older coaches (pre-DEF) may need upgrades to the TV's, electronics, etc. The DEF coaches actually get a little better mileage and have more HP vs. the coaches with the DPF (diesel particulate filter).

We had the DPF in our '08 Dynasty (42 ft.) and never had any problems with it and drove it almost 70,000 miles. Our current coach has the DEF system and it works as designed, no problems (45,000 miles now). I would not be apprehensive getting later model coach.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
The two young kids need to be in school.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad