cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Engines to avoid on F-250?

Aaronsmity
Explorer
Explorer
Got a lot of feedback on the F-150 5.4L 3v having a lot of problems. Is there any specific engine/year to avoid on the F-250? Thanks for the help.
50 REPLIES 50

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
parker.rowe wrote:
Samsonsworld wrote:
Coming from a history of small engines, I never added a k&n where I didn't have to rejet a carb. They do flow better. But I'd never use one on anything with a long duty cycle. You have to wonder about a company that sells prefilters for it's filters.

Exactly! They flow more air, because they flow more...everything. ๐Ÿ˜„
Basically, what my mechanic told me as well.

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:
Coming from a history of small engines, I never added a k&n where I didn't have to rejet a carb. They do flow better. But I'd never use one on anything with a long duty cycle. You have to wonder about a company that sells prefilters for it's filters.

Exactly! They flow more air, because they flow more...everything. ๐Ÿ˜„
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
The Ford 5.4L 3v is a good motor for towing up to 7k, the lower 4.10 rear makes it better. The 6.8L 3v is a towing machine when paired with a 4.10 rear gear (I have one). In fact I have owned both motors and never had to do a repair for anything other than normal wear over a 15 year period with them. the newer 6.2L 6 speed needs to be matched with the 4.30 rear for best results
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago, I saw a good comparo test done for off road engines. The three types of filter were K&N ( oiled cloth ), oiled foam, and pleated paper.

The results were the K&N passed the most dirt and allowed larger particles to pass thru, but it continued to flow fairly well when very dirty.
The pleated paper stopped the most dirt, and filtered down to finer particles, but when clogged with dirt, severely limited flow.
The oiled foam element was in the middle of the other two.

This convinced me to stick with pleated paper and change it often enough to maintain flow.

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Crabbypatty wrote:
Ive had K & N cold air kits on 5.7L Tahoe and 8.1L Suburban each sold with over 250,000 miles and going strong. It adds gas mileage and there is a noticeable uptick in power when towing. Tweaking the exhaust and a a 5star tuner, like I used on the Suburban, will increase horsepower more than 5% making towing easier and more fuel efficient. While diesels get better mileage and have more torque, it don't tow anything that heavy to warrant the extra initial price and fuel costs. 95% of the time the truck is used locally, then we tow with it. Very happy with the 6.2L 6 speed setup. The Burb was 3 speed and bruted through towing. This works for us.

Dyno test after dyno test says "cold air" kits from the aftermarket make zero power, and in some cases reduce it. The cotton/gauze filters also pass through a lot more dust. I had a K&N in my 2002 Dodge/Cummins. I found dust in the intake tube after the filter and gunk on the turbo blades. It went in the garbage.

Oh, and BTW, the factory air intakes are also cold air. Anyone who thinks and open filter element under the hood is sucking cold air is being lied to.

I had a similar experience on my 7.3L diesel. I was NOT happy when I saw how dirty the intake tube was downstream of the filter.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:
Ive had K & N cold air kits on 5.7L Tahoe and 8.1L Suburban each sold with over 250,000 miles and going strong. It adds gas mileage and there is a noticeable uptick in power when towing. Tweaking the exhaust and a a 5star tuner, like I used on the Suburban, will increase horsepower more than 5% making towing easier and more fuel efficient. While diesels get better mileage and have more torque, it don't tow anything that heavy to warrant the extra initial price and fuel costs. 95% of the time the truck is used locally, then we tow with it. Very happy with the 6.2L 6 speed setup. The Burb was 3 speed and bruted through towing. This works for us.

Exactly how can it add "gas mileage?" I would love to know how you think this works.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

ib516
Explorer
Explorer
Crabbypatty wrote:

Dyno test after dyno test says "cold air" kits from the aftermarket make zero power, and in some cases reduce it. The cotton/gauze filters also pass through a lot more dust. I had a K&N in my 2002 Dodge/Cummins. I found dust in the intake tube after the filter and gunk on the turbo blades. It went in the garbage.

Oh, and BTW, the factory air intakes are also cold air. Anyone who thinks and open filter element under the hood is sucking cold air is being lied to.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Procrastinator wrote:
I am going to chime in here. I own a 6.0, yes I knew about all of its flaws before I bought it. I have owned multiple Cummins, a V10, a 7.3, and now a 6.0. I have driven a lot of miles in all of them.

My advice is simple. If you come to an online forum for diesel advice a 6.0 is not for you. I turn my own wrenches and I have a large tool box. I don't mind doing preventative maintenance. There is a video or forum for every 6.0 ailment out there. When I upgraded trailers I wanted a dually again. I got a very good deal on 6.0 because of all the fears of it. Like, about $12,000 savings compared to other trucks. I constantly monitor my engine with Torque Pro. The truck's brakes and transmission have given me more problems than the motor. Good luck in what you choose and remember the internet NEVER lies.

This was my point earlier. But ^ this guy said it more eloquently.
If A guy is on a budget and wanted/needed a heavy hauler diesel AND was willing to to turn wrenches, the6.0 is a great value package.
If a guy values more turnkey reliability and less timeunder the hood, move along from the two problem Powerstrokes.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Procrastinator wrote:
I am going to chime in here. I own a 6.0, yes I knew about all of its flaws before I bought it. I have owned multiple Cummins, a V10, a 7.3, and now a 6.0. I have driven a lot of miles in all of them.

My advice is simple. If you come to an online forum for diesel advice a 6.0 is not for you. I turn my own wrenches and I have a large tool box. I don't mind doing preventative maintenance. There is a video or forum for every 6.0 ailment out there. When I upgraded trailers I wanted a dually again. I got a very good deal on 6.0 because of all the fears of it. Like, about $12,000 savings compared to other trucks. I constantly monitor my engine with Torque Pro. The truck's brakes and transmission have given me more problems than the motor. Good luck in what you choose and remember the internet NEVER lies.

Well said
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Procrastinator
Explorer
Explorer

2018 F150 Max Tow with 6.5 "long" bed.

2019 Coachman Freedom Express Liberty 292BHDSLE

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
My experience with the 5.7 diesel has been nothing but good. They must be a great engine! Just posting my experience with the Olds diesel! :R

Some of you crack me up. :B

X2

Anecdotes, in either direction, do not change statistics and probabilities.

My definition of a terrible engine is one that has a much higher failure rate than its peers and not one that simply has many that donโ€™t fail.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
My experience with the 5.7 diesel has been nothing but good. They must be a great engine! Just posting my experience with the Olds diesel! :R

Some of you crack me up. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln