Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5th Wheel Hitch Ripping off Camper!!??

jbslade82
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening,

I'm posting this for information gathering. My mom who travels often with her 5th wheel for dog shows across the northeast broke down tonight. The hitch on the 5th wheel camper appears to be ripping off the camper itself. Seemingly a structural failure. I have a link below with the photos which also include an internal photo showing how the closets are affected. Luckily no accident occurred and all are safe!

Has ANYONE seen this before? It just seems so impossible. I tried googling a similar failure and came up with nothing.

The camper is a 2009 41' Heartland Cyclone Toy Hauler. She does not have it overloaded. She carries dogs, not toys.

I'm looking for any advice, information, etc. She was traveling a longer distance than usual today. From NY to MO and broke down in Indiana after a 12 hour drive.

https://adobe.ly/2HyIH4t

Any info will be VERY helpful....

Moderator edit to insert pictures

32 REPLIES 32

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
RV dealer near us told me the frames are the worst he has ever seen. Long time rv store owner.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
They build them to the manufacturers specs. "Light N Cheap"

"Light N Cheap" can be a good design IF it's built properly. I've seen plenty of pics of beautiful welds that only stuck on one side. I've also seen pics of some fugly welds that cracked right through. I've seen pics of places where there were =supposed= to be welds, that never got done. This is where I fault both Lippert =and= the mfrs for not doing quality checks. The mfrs, especially, seem to just grab a frame off the pile and slap parts on them without first checking anything against the specs. This is where they are at fault for missing cr@ppy and missing welds as well as not catching any non-spec metal used. I've seen more than one report here where Lippert flat out used the wrong metal to build frames that then failed.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
They build them to the manufacturers specs. "Light N Cheap"
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
My first thought would be to call a mobile rv repair guy to remove, and re install the overhang, and a mobile welder to patch it up so she can continue her trip.

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
jbslade82 wrote:
tinner12002 wrote:
Does anyone know what part of IN she is broke down in??

Yes, 45 mins east of Indianapolis.

We plan to call around place this morning and figure out where to get the RV into. If anyone has recommendations please let us know!

Would she happen to be anywhere near Richmond, IN on I70? FlyingJ shows a location at Spiceland, IN....is that the one? If so, there is a big Camping World dealership in Richmond that has been there for years. I don't know anything about the quality of their service but it's been there ever since I was a kid (don't ask, but it's been decades).

There could be local welding shops near her but an RV dealership might be a place to start. As big as that CW dealership is, I'm sure they've had to have seen the Lippert frame failure and would hopefully have experience fixing it.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
memtb wrote:
stew47 wrote:
She should talk with insurance agent also.

And a good attorney! Maybe with enough bad press these manufacturers will up there game as far as quality! We have “FAR” too many frame failures in the RV industry.
If the trucking industry had these types of failures....you could bet your “behind” that the DOT would be involved!

Didn't stop Lippert from turning out axles with grease contaminated brakes for years. The manufacturer of our unit gave up on them and switched to Dexter.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
memtb wrote:
stew47 wrote:

And a good attorney! Maybe with enough bad press these manufacturers will up there game as far as quality! We have “FAR” too many frame failures in the RV industry.
If the trucking industry had these types of failures....you could bet your “behind” that the DOT would be involved!

Keep in mind that any mention of legal action, past, present, or future, will get the thread either closed or deleted.

From forum rules:
Posts are not allowed in which a local, state, or federal consumer action board and/or legal counsel is/have been involved. This includes posts related to future, ongoing or past lawsuits.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

memtb
Explorer
Explorer
stew47 wrote:

Todd & Marianne
Miniature Schnauzer's - Sundai, Nellie & Maggie Mae
2007 Dodge Ram 3500, 6.7 Cummins, 6 speed manual, 3.73 ratio, 4x4
2004 Teton Grand Freedom, 39'
2007 Bigfoot 30MH26Sl

jbslade82
Explorer
Explorer
tinner12002 wrote:

Yes, 45 mins east of Indianapolis.

We plan to call around place this morning and figure out where to get the RV into. If anyone has recommendations please let us know!

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

camperfamily
Explorer
Explorer
Going through something similar myself now. Located a competent repair shop or if the current location will allow it, a mobil welder. Its scary but the repair really isn't that hard. Removing and reinstalling the covering is perhaps just as hard. Ours has failed a little differently than that one and requires different repairs. Google lippert frame failure or lippert pin box failure to see what's going on. Have it fixed and move on, not worth crying over or filing claims on. JMO.

As others have said, do not tow it. A large flat bed tow will be in order. If she has roadside find the repair shop then call for a tow to that shop.
2011 Cougar 322QBS
2007 Pilgrim 278BHSS (Sold)
2023 F359 CCLB 7.3
2013 F350 CC LB 6.7 (Retired)
2002 F350 CC LB PS (Retired)
B&W Companion Hitch

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Lippert frame. WHat else do you expect.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good thing she checks her equipment!

Any decent frame shop should be able to help. You could google around for some of the big rig tow companies and ask them if they have any references for a good shop. When my dad has a suspension equalizer fail on him the tow company was able to get the trailer to their yard and he found they were also capable of making the repair in their yard...so he paid them to do it. You may find the same.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
Forget Lippert as they only warraenty the frame for 24 months from date of purchase find a good welding shop local.