cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Newbie WorkKampers

HighwayJunky
Explorer
Explorer
As Newbie's wife and I are doing a workkamping stretch from May to September 2018. Any suggestions, concerns, things to look out for? We each will spend about 24-hours week working (total 48hr) for the convenience of getting a all electric, cable,water sewer site..

Anything to offer us as we begin???
2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif
7 REPLIES 7

classic_31
Explorer
Explorer
If you are both volunteer for something free how are they giving you a bad name.are you also getting free rent?

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Wife and I have more than 5,000 hrs each volunteering over the last 8 years. Most gigs have been 24hr per person for couples 32 for singles. We have worked as few as 15 hr per person. We volunteer because we like it and at locations we want to explore. We run into two different types of people volunteering, those that want to assist with the mission of the facility and those looking for a no cost RV site be it north in the summer or south in the winter. The latter are few but give volunteers a bad name.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
westernrvparkowner wrote:
Fulltimer50 wrote:
I think 48 hr/week is a bit much just for the site. We never work more than 20.
Totally depends on local rents. Some places RV sites rent for $300 a month. Other locations can exceed $3000. 48 hours isn't a deal when sites are cheap. But covering a $2000 a month site by working 200 hours a month combined works out to well over $13.00/hour considering an actual part time job's income would be taxed and there would be commuting costs. It is not as simple as x hours are fair and x+1 isn't.

True. ๐Ÿ™‚
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

nancyjerry
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, a lot of folks will think you are working too much. It's your gig, enjoy it.
We have done this for a few years. We did 'work' 24 hrs each at a wildlife refuge for just the site, no $ for 2 months.
It was hardly work....extremely small gift shop and a small area with animal identification info, I think we saw 20-30 people all day. We just read or used Internet. And in our free time, I did photograghy which was the reason we wanted to be there.
Some gigs you will want to do again whether you are paid $or not, others you won't. Move on.

I would say for advice, is to relax. Everyone thinks 'it should be done this way'...and get upset because it could be done more efficiently, effectively, etc. if you make a suggestion, let it go if they don't change.
Example ... We moved a small trash can at the Yellowstone store to be under the area of the coffee creamers/stirrers because people would leave them or try and throw them over to the trash can.(..and miss), but, 'no, we always leave it there'...
Your boss today might be the person who started 1 week earlier than you!

We do not serve as camp hosts. We think that would be like on duty all the time!

Where will you be for the summer?

westernrvparkow
Explorer
Explorer
Fulltimer50 wrote:
Totally depends on local rents. Some places RV sites rent for $300 a month. Other locations can exceed $3000. 48 hours isn't a deal when sites are cheap. But covering a $2000 a month site by working 200 hours a month combined works out to well over $13.00/hour considering an actual part time job's income would be taxed and there would be commuting costs. It is not as simple as x hours are fair and x+1 isn't.

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Is this paid or volunteer gig?
If its paid, get in writing exactly what your jobs will be.
If its a volunteer job, sit back and relax. Some managers will be horrible, others are a joy to work for. Try different parks and pick and choose those that work with you and dont treat you like a slave.