cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replace Thetford Aqua Magic Style II with Dometic 320?

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I posted last summer about a bad experience while camping in Bryce. My Thetford Aqua Magic Style II toilet overflowed and I was lucky to catch it before any real damage occurred. Assuming it will fit (have to measure), I am leaning toward replacing it with a Dometic 320. Oddly, the model with sprayer is less costly than without (on Amazon). Any thoughts here? Has anyone else made this or a similar upgrade to a Dometic 320? The other option would be a Thetford Aqua Magic Style Plus. But, with my poor experience with the Style II, I am leaning toward the Dometic.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L
14 REPLIES 14

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
The best thing about the dometic is how simple it is to remove and replace or clean the seal in the bowl.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
neal10a wrote:
My Aqua Magic Style II toilet started to act up after 5years and I was going to go with the Demetic, but installed new valve kits and everything is good again. The Aqua now is like new. Much cheaper and less hassle-- knock on wood....:-)

I've replaced mine twice in 3 years so I'm not too confident with the Aqua Magic. The next time the Dometic is going in.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
When we ordered our Mobile Suites we added many Elite Suites options. One we did NOT want was the macerator toilet as keep it simple sometimes is better! So after 3 years of full time use I can honestly say our Dometic 320 is by FAR the best RV toilet we have ever owned!!!

BIGGIE is to do a demonstration flush for the guests. Simply push pedal to the floor and pull foot straight back and let the pedal "SNAP" back up.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

the1adman
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed one this morning. Really like the toilet and glad I followed the advice of others and got the hand spray.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Interesting that this has come up now - our Thetford Aqua II just wouldn't shut off one time so I'm looking at replacing the valve. We've spent about 1000 nights in our 7 year old RV. I removed the identical powder room toilet after 6 months to make room for cat box and feeding station. All our toilet use has been with this unit and until now it's been perfect.

Since I have to remove the old toilet to replace the valve, I think I'll just put the one that's been in stick house basement. I'll test it to make sure the gaskets and stuff haven't dried out before I install it.

Then I'll obtain replacement parts at my leisure. I'm not switching.

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
PPL Motorhomes shipped promptly. I received the toilet yesterday in one piece. Warning to any who buy ... it's packed in foam popcorn. And I mean PACKED (full 40 gallon trash bag full). The seat is pre-mounted and even the toilet bowl was full of the stuff. It took me longer to clean up the mess and vacuum it all out of the toilet than to install it. When replacing the Style II, everything comes with the new toilet that you need (seal and bolts). It fits the old floor flange (which I cleaned thoroughly). The hose inlet is a few inches closer to the floor than the Thetford. I had enough play in my supply line that I didn't need to shorten it. Pretty easy job and the toilets are light enough for one person to maneuver. I really like the hand spray. Glad I ordered that option.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
I upgraded the JUNK Thetford in our 2012 Montana 2 years ago to the Dometic 320 w/sprayer and last Fall after negotiating our 2018 Montana purchase I told dealer OK if he would install Dometic 320 w/sprayer in new unit. Best place to purchase 2 years ago was PPL Motorhomes. $198.00 no tax and no shipping cost.

Thanks for the tip on PPL Motor Homes. I was planning to order from Amazon just because it's easy and usually competitive pricing. I noticed that the Amazon product was sold and shipped by PPL. I checked PPL pricing and saved $30 by simply placing the order through PPL directly.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
My Aqua Magic Style II toilet started to act up after 5years and I was going to go with the Demetic, but installed new valve kits and everything is good again. The Aqua now is like new. Much cheaper and less hassle-- knock on wood....:-)

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
momentum rv wrote:
Made the change to the Dometic 320 w/sprayer about 1-1/2 years ago. Still works great and glad I made the change. Also added a Bemis soft close lid, a nice addition.

Thanks for the tip on the Bemis lid. I'll check it out. I'm definitely going with the Dometic 320 with sprayer.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

momentum_rv
Explorer
Explorer
Made the change to the Dometic 320 w/sprayer about 1-1/2 years ago. Still works great and glad I made the change. Also added a Bemis soft close lid, a nice addition.
2015 Grand Design Momentum 385TH
2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
I upgraded the JUNK Thetford in our 2012 Montana 2 years ago to the Dometic 320 w/sprayer and last Fall after negotiating our 2018 Montana purchase I told dealer OK if he would install Dometic 320 w/sprayer in new unit. Best place to purchase 2 years ago was PPL Motorhomes. $198.00 no tax and no shipping cost.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
I posted last summer about a bad experience while camping in Bryce. My Thetford Aqua Magic Style II toilet overflowed and I was lucky to catch it before any real damage occurred. Assuming it will fit (have to measure), I am leaning toward replacing it with a Dometic 320. Oddly, the model with sprayer is less costly than without (on Amazon). Any thoughts here? Has anyone else made this or a similar upgrade to a Dometic 320? The other option would be a Thetford Aqua Magic Style Plus. But, with my poor experience with the Style II, I am leaning toward the Dometic.

We replaced our 2001 toilet for the brand you have. it was a bad move because of the water valve poured out the water before one year was up. We changed to the 300 series Dometic with out the spray.

Do a You Tube search on how to change the water seal on the dometic and it will help you decide. Have not needed the wand.
We bought 2 water valves for the Aqua at $45.00 each.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
Njmurvin wrote:
I just measured and I have 13" from center of bolt to the wall. So I think the Dometic 320 will fit.

All you need is 10.5" for the Dometic 320 to fit. Do yourself a favor and get the one with the sprayer. Trust me on this one. I didn't, then after doing all the research, I returned it and got one with it and glad I did.
It's easy to do. One thing I did that helped me was after turning the water off and draining the toilet, I removed it by sitting it into a big plastic bag in the shower or hallway. Then I took a pair of channel locks and clamped them gently around the base of the water line coming through the floor. You don't want it to slip through the floor and have to take down the belly. I then cut off the factory connection and installed a Sharkbite connector that was a 90* elbow and standard 1/2 inch male threads and put in a 1/2" braided water supply line from the connector to the toilet. Some people put in a water shutoff here too as well. Then make sure the flange is set and tighten the bolts alternating sides and you are done. Turn on the water.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
I just measured and I have 13" from center of bolt to the wall. So I think the Dometic 320 will fit.

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L