cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kids and class C

bescurred
Explorer
Explorer
newbie here! we are in the process of deciding on what kind of motorhome/travel trailer would be a good fit for our family. We have 3 kids (age 3,6,12) so we have to utilize carseats for the younger two.
The Class C is appealing to us if we can move around the rig (use the restroom, make a sandwich and watch TV) en route. is this a safety issue? we would keep the children seated unless they are using the restroom etc.
I'm really asking what do people actually do that own these with children. There is no way to safely install a carseat in any of the seating.
10 REPLIES 10

maillemaker
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just stop at a rest stop every couple of hours?

Spoken like someone without kids! ๐Ÿ™‚

We've had our RV about 9 years now, and when we got it the kids were 0 and 2. They are now 9 and 12. So they have grown up in the RV.

RVs are great when traveling with kids because invariably kids have to pee every 10 minutes going down the road. Or they need a diaper change. With an RV, they can go potty whenever they need to and the other adult can help if needed without having to pull over and find a bathroom.

The rule of thumb is as others have stated: Most of the time you should be in a seat with a seatbelt on. If you need to get up to get a snack or drink or potty that's fine but otherwise you get in a seat with a seatbelt on.

Sometimes when we are driving late at night I will let the kids climb up in the overhead bunk and sleep. I don't like it but when it's late and they are sacked out there's not much other choice.

I try to keep passengers seated in the inbound seats instead of the outbound seats as the side of the RV could get sheared away in an accident. I worry sometimes about the kitchen table breaking loose and becoming a guillotine to those seated at the kitchen table but it is what it is. Most of the time the kids prefer to sit in the bucket seats away from the table anyway.

Our kiddie car seats fit at the kitchen table seats just fine. Again we positioned them in the inbound part of the benches away from the side wall of the coach.

Steve
1990 Winnebago Warrior. "She may not look like much but she's got it where it counts!"

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rick Jay wrote:
We have a class A and our kids are all teenagers now, but when we first bought it, they were ages 1, 3, 4 & 7. Yes, in those days, we did use at least 2 cars seats with the youngest ones. But once they were big enough to be belted in, we no longer used the car seats in the motorhome.

Our general rule was, once they were old enough to move around on their own, that IF they needed to use the potty, they would ask permission. If I felt it was safe (I was driving), then I gave them permission. This would require that we were not in a high traffic situation, there was lots of space between vehicles, good weather, etc. etc.. In other words, a low risk situation. If we were in bumper-to-bumper, stop & go traffic, then we pretty much encouraged them to get up and use the potty during the traffic jam. Again, very low risk situation. Once we started travelling at speed, most of those caught in the traffic jam were pulling into rest areas to use the potty while we just kept trucking down the road.

If we were on a long trip, we would have premade sandwiches, snacks & drinks and wifey would distribute these. Or if a diaper needed to be changed, we'd pull over at the next convenient rest area. As the kids got older, they had more freedom, but they will ALWAYS ask for permission to make sure it's safe, and so that I know they are no longer in their belted seats.

In my opinion, there is no better way to travel with children than in a motorhome. Use it wisely and enjoy the trip!

~Rick

I like this because you let it "live a little". There were days when you could pile up children in a hatchback, ride in the back of pickup trucks, and not worry about every little thing you did on the road. I mean, you are the driver, if you are not in a dangerous traffic area, things look smooth, we'd go for it. ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Right now, I am glad we were out of power and broadband yesterday. That is because Rick Jay just saved me a whole lot of keyboard.

Some years back, I work for a OEM in and crash group. Back then, tests with unrestrained occupants were required. You only need to see one to know that this is a real bad idea. But all of life is a risk and you can mitigate those risks. Seat belts are a great way.

We now travel with grandchildren from time to time. I have made modifications to the coach seats to allow for what kidseats are required, none were all that difficult.

I will say that once they are a the belts only size, we do allow breaks from the seat at the driver's judgement (and there is no discussion).

It can't be too bad, because at birthdays, we offer either a present or an experience. Traveling by coach allows us to easily access things that are out of normal day trip range. Our plan must not be too bad, because when given the choice recently, a GS just said he would like to go someplace in the motorhome.....

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a class A and our kids are all teenagers now, but when we first bought it, they were ages 1, 3, 4 & 7. Yes, in those days, we did use at least 2 cars seats with the youngest ones. But once they were big enough to be belted in, we no longer used the car seats in the motorhome.

Our general rule was, once they were old enough to move around on their own, that IF they needed to use the potty, they would ask permission. If I felt it was safe (I was driving), then I gave them permission. This would require that we were not in a high traffic situation, there was lots of space between vehicles, good weather, etc. etc.. In other words, a low risk situation. If we were in bumper-to-bumper, stop & go traffic, then we pretty much encouraged them to get up and use the potty during the traffic jam. Again, very low risk situation. Once we started travelling at speed, most of those caught in the traffic jam were pulling into rest areas to use the potty while we just kept trucking down the road.

If we were on a long trip, we would have premade sandwiches, snacks & drinks and wifey would distribute these. Or if a diaper needed to be changed, we'd pull over at the next convenient rest area. As the kids got older, they had more freedom, but they will ALWAYS ask for permission to make sure it's safe, and so that I know they are no longer in their belted seats.

In my opinion, there is no better way to travel with children than in a motorhome. Use it wisely and enjoy the trip!

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
It's best for everyone to remain seated while the motorhome is in motion as you can never tell when an emergency situation might arise that would cause problems for anyone walking around or even in the bathroom. As one of the respondents above noted use rest areas for the folks to get out, go to the bathroom, get a coke from the fridg, etc. Everyone should be using seat belts when the vehicle is moving, it makes it easier on the driver too.

txnese
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 30ft Class C and 3 kids. All over 10, so we don't need car seats. The children stay seated and belted most of the times. I'll let them out of their seat for something quick, but most restroom breaks are done while I'm fueling or at rest stops.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
My kids were just about that age when I had a class C bunkhouse. The kids were belted when we were moving, but if they needed to get up, they got up. Somehow they survived! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
Why not just stop at a rest stop every couple of hours?

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
What people do, and what is legal (which are not the same things always) vary between people and states. In some areas, certain laws regarding car seats and seat belt use and such don't apply to motorhomes; it depends on how the laws are written. Often car booster seats are only required where suitable places to put them are available in the vehicle, so as not to entirely prohibit children from ever riding in antique cars and so forth. A motorhome is generally not classified as either a passenger car, a truck, or a van, but is its own category.

As a practical matter, many people do get up to use the restroom or grab a soda from the fridge while en route...obviously only if someone else is driving. Many other people avoid doing this.

In terms of safety, no motorhome is all that crashworthy, really. The seat belts they're equipped with would be of use in a sudden stop or minor accident, but I think would not be too helpful in a severe crash as the house structure often doesn't survive very well and, even if it does, there are just too many things that can get loose or fall out of cabinets or whatever and become missiles. The good news is that care and caution in driving will allow one to avoid most accidents. This applies to both class C and A motorhomes in general.

I don't have any children of my own, but if I did I suspect I might take a rather permissive approach here: remain seated in general, but using the restroom or getting a book etc. is okay with the driver's permission (given based on the road conditions). Others have different opinions, possibly wiser ones.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
When we purchased our Class C in 2009, our kids were 6 and 7 (soon to be ๐Ÿ˜Ž and both no longer need car seats in the state of GA, so for us it wasn't an issue. My sister-in-law and family has traveled with car seats in their Class C without a problem. There are special car seats that are made to be used on the sofa, sorry I can't remember the brands or models.

To answer your main question - our kids were always belted when they were in the motorhome while traveling unless they had to go to the bathroom. If they needed anything, my wife would get it for them. When they were teenagers we gave them a little more freedom, but they were still required to wear seat belts at all time. Our motorhome had 6 seat belts (not including front seats) - 2 on the sofa and 4 on the dinette.

Before the motorhome, we owned a Hybrid TT. Even though both of our tow vehicles were comfy on long drives, the motorhome was a much nicer way to travel.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)