cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Window installation weep holes on side

Lillscherm
Explorer
Explorer
I have a church bus I'm turning into a little home on wheels. I ordered all of my windows off of eBay and they were great. We took out all the old windows, welded in supports and installed the two new back windows (12x48"). It rained the next day and leaked almost as bad as not even having a window. After further inspection we realized the windows are meant to go longways. With the 12" horizontally and 48" vertically. They have to stay the direction we installed them. Does anyone have any solutions for an awning or change of weep holes etc. For an awning it would need to cover the front leading edge and top while parked and driving in the rain? Help, I'm at a loss and can't afford new windows or custom awnings
8 REPLIES 8

Rainier70
Explorer
Explorer
I would pull the windows out. Look at how and where the weep holes are and see if you can drill new ones in what is now the bottom. If you aren't sure about doing it yourself or if it is even possible on your frames, then take them to some window or rv shops and get an opinion or quote.

Lillscherm
Explorer
Explorer
bobm233, that was what I was thinking. Just make an aluminum awning to over hang about 4 inches and have it cover the front leading edge as well. Just figured I would pick peoples brains for ideas! If worse comes to worse I may just have to seal the windows up.

lawrosa, 2 windows and the original bus windows leaked (ironic) and I wanted to have screens/ tint to my new windows. Also I can afford new (used) windows, I just don't want to fork out the money for custom windows to fit the frames we welded in.. or have to re frame for new sized windows.
They did great work on the bus, but mine is going to have a different set up!

Thank you for all the feedback, I can't wait to hear of more ideas (if there are any)!

bobm253
Explorer
Explorer
If you have vertical space above the windows, you can try aluminum over the window (or door) drip edging. Comes in various lengths. Not very expensive and might help.

want-a-be
Explorer
Explorer
lawrosa wrote:
midnightsadie wrote:
no reason to beat the guy up ,or are you the only person who never screws a job up? so he made a mistake and is asking for help .

Not beating him up... You need to take your lumps is all.

What would you suggest?

I dont think you can cut weep holes in windows that are made for a certain install position.

So he

a. Needs to remove and put the original windows back in.
b. Get new windows and sell the old. ( Modify the window opening best you can to fix
the mistake.)
I believe your second answer is a lot better then your first!!!
c.
Find something like this. Work already done...

https://tinyhouselistings.com/listings/2002-thomas-school-bus-conversion/

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
no reason to beat the guy up ,or are you the only person who never screws a job up? so he made a mistake and is asking for help .

Not beating him up... You need to take your lumps is all.

What would you suggest?

I dont think you can cut weep holes in windows that are made for a certain install position.

So he

a. Needs to remove and put the original windows back in.
b. Get new windows and sell the old. ( Modify the window opening best you can to fix the mistake.)
c.
Find something like this. Work already done...

https://tinyhouselistings.com/listings/2002-thomas-school-bus-conversion/
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II

path1
Explorer
Explorer
WOW... glad I'm not the only one that has projects go astray sometimes 🙂

I would call the window manufacture and see if you could talk with someone that might offer some suggestions. They might have simple fix or have been thru it before.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

lawrosa
Explorer
Explorer
How many windows you talking about?

What was wrong with the original bus windows?

Your SOL really. Sell those windows and buy what you need.

If you cant afford new windows how can you afford to continue with the bus project?

You did not budget correctly then..
Mike L ... N.J.

2006 Silverado ext cab long bed. 3:42 rear. LM7 5.3 motor. 300 hp 350 ft lbs torgue @ 4000 rpms
2018 coachmen Catalina sbx 261bh