cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1997 Southwind ignition key

Fletch_03
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for some help regarding an ignition key for a 1997 Southwind. My dad recently passed away and all I can find is a door key to unlock the door. The only key that even fits into the ignition is a silver GM style key. Should I be looking for a GM style key? He has accumulated hundreds of keys over the years, so I'm just trying to narrow down my search.

Thank you in advance for any information that you can provide.
10 REPLIES 10

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
if it has a 17 digit vin, run it through a vin decoder and it will tell you what chassis it has, i have gotten keys cut for my 90's car due to the key being too badly worn to be cut at a hardware store. if the lock is in the steering columns they can be a pain to remove without the key, most time i have just drilled them..

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Fletch, I feel that you are over thinking this, if a GMC key fits, take all your dad's keys that look like the GMC key that fits the switch and try them. Probably faster and less hassle is to call a locksmith.

Often locksmiths can cut a key in under 60 seconds and the charge is about $50. If you have or your Dad had roadside service as part of his or your insurance, it won't cost anything.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Fletch_03 wrote:
Sorry, I should have added that it's a Freightliner chassis.

Don't believe Fleetwood made a 1997 Southwind on a diesel Freightliner chassis.
It should be a gas chassis, which would have to be a Ford or Chevrolet.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Don_s_Lock
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck no codes available for that year .Is it in dah or on the colum .
Let me know and I will give you the centriole what will happen.
Don
2016 Ford Focus
2013 Georgetown 335

77rollalong
Explorer
Explorer
if you can find the ownership for it, (vin #) you maybe able to go to a dealership for that chassis, and have them cut a key from the vin # alone.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
It may just be easier to put a new key into it using lock pics to push the cylinder into place? Is it a classic fit key with the small whole to change the cylinder? Often doing so is a 5 minute job.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

gfs1943
Explorer
Explorer
Freightliner chassis usually use a GM ignition switch and key. Likely one of the Chevy-style keys will fit.
gfs1943
USAF, Retired (1962 - 1983)
2006 Monaco Diplomat 40PRQ
2006 Honda CR-V

Fletch_03
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, I should have added that it's a Freightliner chassis.

MrWizard
look at the VIN sticker, under the drivers window

if its GAS, then it is either GM or Ford

if its FORD, it will probably say FORD on the steering wheel
along with ford motor company on the VIN sticker

given that you didn't say anything about seeing 'FORD' anywhere

yes you are most likely looking for a Chevy key
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Chassis will tell you what type of key you need.