cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

looking for a smaller 5th 25-maybe 30'

dux5977
Explorer
Explorer
Recently single and looking to purchase a smaller 5th before next winter, to head out and go boondocking this winter. It's just myself & I have 2 dogs and want to spend next winter on the road, since I lost the love of my life. Would like a toy hauler, have sportsman I'd love to take, but doesnt seem to be many used for the size I'm looking for ...wondering if anyone has idea's of 5th's I can look at. I have a diesel 6.6 duramax w/receiver so I dont think size would be any trouble. hesitant pull extra-trailer behind 5th, not knowing the laws for pulling doubles, in any given state traveling through. any ideas would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Ron
6 REPLIES 6

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
First off I'm very sorry for your loss.

If you're boondocking you'll want to consider power options. You might look for a 5er with a built-in generator but that is going to require fuel. The other thing you can do is have a large bank of batteries and install a large array of solar panels on the roof.

If you do the solar panels and battery system, you can run your fridge for quite a while on propane only.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

RockyMt
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the new edition of trailer life- lots of smaller 5th wheels.

SugarHillCTD
Explorer
Explorer
Not 5th wheel TH, but short and very well built.

http://northwoodmfg.com/toy-haulers/desert-fox/
John & Cathy
'12 Chevy 2500HD CC 4x4 sb
'16 Cougar 25RKS w/ Andersen rail mount
'13 Eagle Cap 850 (sold). B4 that a few other TCs and a TT

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
There also maybe some tow behind toy haulers that may fit the bill as well.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
There's an write-up on smaller fivers in this months Trailer Life.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
dux5977 wrote:
Recently single and looking to purchase a smaller 5th before next winter, to head out and go boondocking this winter. It's just myself & I have 2 dogs and want to spend next winter on the road, since I lost the love of my life. Would like a toy hauler, have sportsman I'd love to take, but doesnt seem to be many used for the size I'm looking for ...wondering if anyone has idea's of 5th's I can look at. I have a diesel 6.6 duramax w/receiver so I dont think size would be any trouble. hesitant pull extra-trailer behind 5th, not knowing the laws for pulling doubles, in any given state traveling through. any ideas would be appreciated and thanks in advance. Ron

First question is where do you plan on boondocking? If in MI, you need to find something like an Artic Fox or you'll need to take a couple 100 lb propane tanks with you to keep warm for more than a day or two. Do a search on "winter camping", or the like, to read about cold-weather in a FW.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member