cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Truck limit

RickeyS1
Explorer
Explorer
I still need help to understand what TV I need, looking at a Durango Gold fifth wheel unloaded weight of 12250 lbs, and GVWR of 14,995 lbs.
So my current truck is a 2018 Ram 2500, It has 6000 front axel and 6500 rear axel, 6.7 turbo diesel, door sticker says 2380 cargo capacity. I went to a cat scale with wife and dog & gear in truck and the front axel weight was 4980 & rear axel was 3300. So now the confusion if I go by the 10,000 then I only have cargo or pin weight available of 1720 lbs. But if you go by axel rating I would have 3200 lbs, I suspect I would need a Ram 3500 but not 100% sure, Help me understand this better please, the more I read the more confused I get. I understand where the axel ratings come from but why is payload limited to the 10,000 lb, where does that number come from? need to figure out what to do before buying the Durango.

Thanks,
29 REPLIES 29

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
semlohde wrote:
I have a similar situation. 2018 RAM 2500 MEGA 6.7 Cummins I got 2 weeks ago and Forest River Sierra 356RL, GVWR 14040. I've never had the tanks full traveling - but don't go far either. I look at it using the GAWR of 6000 and 6500. The SRW 3500 has a rear axle rating of 7000, same 6000 for the front, and payload near 4000 while mine is like 1800!?!?!. I weigh below both axle ratings on CAT scales, tires and wheels are capable of those weights, but yes, am above the 10,000. This 2500 is too similar to the SRW 3500 specs for me to believe it can't safely handle the load.. You traded a 2018 2500 for a duelly? wow, had to take a hit on that. But you'll certainly have a truck with nothing to worry about.

Any of the current model year 2500 diesels would handle a 14k lb fifth wheel with no issues. Just make sure you're registered properly for teh weight and go have fun.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

semlohde
Explorer
Explorer
I have a similar situation. 2018 RAM 2500 MEGA 6.7 Cummins I got 2 weeks ago and Forest River Sierra 356RL, GVWR 14040. I've never had the tanks full traveling - but don't go far either. I look at it using the GAWR of 6000 and 6500. The SRW 3500 has a rear axle rating of 7000, same 6000 for the front, and payload near 4000 while mine is like 1800!?!?!. I weigh below both axle ratings on CAT scales, tires and wheels are capable of those weights, but yes, am above the 10,000. This 2500 is too similar to the SRW 3500 specs for me to believe it can't safely handle the load.. You traded a 2018 2500 for a duelly? wow, had to take a hit on that. But you'll certainly have a truck with nothing to worry about.

Jim_Sharon
Explorer
Explorer
Good thinking Rick. Use the tool that will do the job, and then some, Jim
2006 Wildcat 27RL
2006 2500HD w/Allison/Duramax
KB3TXH

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
My thinking parallels CWSWine's

X2
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

RickeyS1
Explorer
Explorer
Well; I pick up the new 3500 dually on Saturday!
This will be the last truck I ever buy.
Thanks
Rick

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think this has been beat enough. Let's move on.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
laknox wrote:
Lantley wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
CRSWine - still waiting for you to show me one lawsuit where exceeding the GVWR entered into the equation for liability. Been about 6 months now and I'm still waiting. Until then it's just a lotta hyperbole - could cause this, could result in that.

You are correct . But if the plaintiffs lawyer realized you were exceeding your GVW do you think they would use it against you? Hyperbole or not it would be a liability if you were in civil court.
There are civil court trials everyday all across America it would be naive to believe the issue has NEVER surfaced.

And how do they prove that you were exceeding any numbers? Likely the FW is a pile of sticks, so =real= hard to tell, especially if you're close.

Lyle

Sure we all seen photos of rigs that have been obliterated. But we have also seen rigs that were towed away.

I don't think the GVW labels will disintegrate.
For instance in MD, PA and a few other states any combo over 26001 GCVWR requires a non commercial endorsement to your license.
This requirement is based on the GVW of the vehicles and not their scaled weights.
So if you are stopped with a 15K GVW trailer and a 12K GVW truck.
12K + 15K = 27K. 27,000 > 26,001 you can be ticketed. If you do not have the correct endorsement to your license. No weighing required. They are not interested in your scaled weights but your registered weight.
Get into an accident without the proper endorsement and you've exposed yourself to more potential liability, no scales required.

But if I ever traveled through your neck 'o the woods, I'd not have an issue, on those grounds, since there's no requirement for that here in AZ, where I'm licensed. (shrug)

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
laknox wrote:
Lantley wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
CRSWine - still waiting for you to show me one lawsuit where exceeding the GVWR entered into the equation for liability. Been about 6 months now and I'm still waiting. Until then it's just a lotta hyperbole - could cause this, could result in that.

You are correct . But if the plaintiffs lawyer realized you were exceeding your GVW do you think they would use it against you? Hyperbole or not it would be a liability if you were in civil court.
There are civil court trials everyday all across America it would be naive to believe the issue has NEVER surfaced.

And how do they prove that you were exceeding any numbers? Likely the FW is a pile of sticks, so =real= hard to tell, especially if you're close.

Lyle

Sure we all seen photos of rigs that have been obliterated. But we have also seen rigs that were towed away.

I don't think the GVW labels will disintegrate.
For instance in MD, PA and a few other states any combo over 26001 GCVWR requires a non commercial endorsement to your license.
This requirement is based on the GVW of the vehicles and not their scaled weights.
So if you are stopped with a 15K GVW trailer and a 12K GVW truck.
12K + 15K = 27K. 27,000 > 26,001 you can be ticketed. If you do not have the correct endorsement to your license. No weighing required. They are not interested in your scaled weights but your registered weight.
Get into an accident without the proper endorsement and you've exposed yourself to more potential liability, no scales required.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Lantley wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:

So it should be pretty easy to find one to prove it has happened. Until then - "could" increase liability is hyperbole and doesn't substitute for "has", "will".

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Why is it just rv folks pulling their trailers that face civil lawsuits for exceeding a mfg GVWR or a gvwr payload when over on the commercial side using the same trucks pulling the same size trailers we don't face civil lawsuits if were at fault/death/injury/property damage and carrying weight over the truck makers gvwr or its payload number.
Yes... we have been and can face civil lawsuits for being legally overweight and held at fault.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OP asked where those numbers come from.
The vehicle mfg may assign a GVWR/FAWR/RAWR he chooses. The mfg may choose to use the sum of the trucks gawr as its gvwr.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
I currently tow my Durango (10800GVWR) with my F350 SRW and to be honest, adding another 2500lbs would not cause me any worries but getting past that 12500-13000lb range I think you'll have a hard time staying under your rear GAWR unless its a nose light 5er - then you have something that won't tow that well. IMO, a SRW truck runs out of capacity with a 12500-13000GVWR 5er.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
IdaD wrote:
RickeyS1 wrote:
Thanks everyone, I think that I'll be trading the truck in, Just need to find the right one now, I would rather stay away from a dually if possible, although it would only be used as a tow vehicle, wife has a car and I have a small car for travel to and from work. Decisions - Decisions. But want to be safe first and foremost.

Thanks again
Rick

If you're trading it in get a dually or don't bother. Spend $200 on a pair of Timbrens and it would get you the functional equivalent of a 3500 Ram (unless you opt for the higher output version which would give you more power and the Aisin). Going from your truck to a SRW 3500 would do little more than upgrade your payload sticker and give the dealership a bunch of your money.

Agree, air bags or Timbrens, or get the DRW if trading.

Jerry

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
RickeyS1 wrote:
Thanks everyone, I think that I'll be trading the truck in, Just need to find the right one now, I would rather stay away from a dually if possible, although it would only be used as a tow vehicle, wife has a car and I have a small car for travel to and from work. Decisions - Decisions. But want to be safe first and foremost.

Thanks again
Rick

If you're trading it in get a dually or don't bother. Spend $200 on a pair of Timbrens and it would get you the functional equivalent of a 3500 Ram (unless you opt for the higher output version which would give you more power and the Aisin). Going from your truck to a SRW 3500 would do little more than upgrade your payload sticker and give the dealership a bunch of your money.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB