cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much off MSRP on a 2017?

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Found a new unsold 2017 F250 6.2 Scab 4x4 for sale near me. It's marked down with the typical $3,000 in dealer discount and a couple rebates.
I was thinking way more should be discounted. $8-10K would seem about right. The window sticker has a date on the bottom of 4-13-2017. Which means it's a year old. Not sure if that date is the build date though.
21 REPLIES 21

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my 2017 leftover Ram 3500 Laramie end of February.
List was $74,400 and change sold for $60,000 and change after all the rebates.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
On a year old model still on the lot I'd offer dealer invoice minus all rebates and factory to dealer incentives. Every time I've done that the dealer has accepted without any argument.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
JMO, but NEVER make an offer off msrp. Find out the dealer invoice price on the truck. Then make an offer over or below invoice. Yes, they make money selling below invoice. How much depends on dealer holdback.

Certain models might have to go for $500 over invoice depending on demand. Some go for well below invoice.

Holdback for the dealer is MSRP minus freight times 3%. What actually drives the ability to sell below invoice are the current incentives the dealer has. These incentives take many forms, change monthly in most cases, and some are disclosed while others are not. Many of these incentives go away on past model years at some point as incentives are geared to move current inventory. Incentives are usually highest right before the new model year introduction. Usually the manufacturer pays a final incentive on in stock prior model years and incentives are then finished. This is a good reason current model year inventory can be a better buy than previous model year stock.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
JMO, but NEVER make an offer off msrp. Find out the dealer invoice price on the truck. Then make an offer over or below invoice. Yes, they make money selling below invoice. How much depends on dealer holdback.

Certain models might have to go for $500 over invoice depending on demand. Some go for well below invoice.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
I bought a 2018 Ram in January for less than the left over 2017's. I don't understand why, but everywhere I looked the new trucks were discounted more than the year old ones.

Conversation with a family-owned volume Ram dealer last year, yielded a similar situation. Once the new year models launch, the incentives start to drop off on the "old" year model, at some point, the dealer doesn't get any more factory support and they are left to move it on their own. So the 2018, with factory support, might indeed be available for less than a new leftover 2017.
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
Oh and for the record, our neighbor just bought the same truck as us, only Lariat trim, used, at the same dealer, with 9,000 miles, and paid a couple thousand more than we got the new one for.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

JAC1982
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our 2017 in the fall of 2017 for about 18k off sticker. But ours is a DRW and those are in lower demand than SRW 250s or 350s.

Our local Ford dealer is also a volume dealer for trucks. They'd rather sell more trucks than get more money for them. Whereas, the dealer where I bought my Explorer was more of a volume dealer for cars/SUVs, so they offered good deals on new ones of those, but not so much for trucks, especially larger ones.
2020 Keystone Montana High Country 294RL
2017 Ford F350 DRW King Ranch
2021 Ford F350 SRW Lariat Tremor

gafidler
Explorer
Explorer
Never buy new unless you can get it for the price of a one year old used.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Bought my current 12 2500 for $10K off MSRP in July 2012. Maybe I'll wait a little longer and see if the discounts go up a bunch more. Makes it easier to haggle.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Bought new 2003 F-150 $38k MSRP for $28k (plus TTL).

www.chevrolet.com landing page shows $11k off MSRP brand new 2018 Silverado 1500. $10-15k off MSRP for even a new 2018 model. Find a better dealer. 1-way flights are cheap.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought a 2018 Ram in January for less than the left over 2017's. I don't understand why, but everywhere I looked the new trucks were discounted more than the year old ones.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth, In March, I bought a leftover 2017 Ram 3500. The sticker was $50,300 The invoice that was shown to me said $42,270 The dealer I bought it at, sold it to me for $41,500 Keep in mind, there's different rebates and incentives for each manufacturer and they change all the time. There's also hidden savings I'm sure that I never saw or was offered but it was a deal I could live with. Remember...You rarely get a great deal. Your goal is to get a deal you are satisfied with. After all, you're the one making the payments.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

JALLEN4
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
Not sure what the Ford dealer is willing to discount, but a local Kia dealer near me has 3 2017 leftover Kia Hyoki 4 door sedans that are loaded up with everything, and sticker for a tad over 25K. Take your pick of any of the 3, they're all white, for $15.5K. That's a 38% mark down and probably a realistic 25 to 30% from what you could have negotiated that puddle jumper for from sticker last year.

A lot has to do with when the dealer floored the F250. Until it's numbers go into brackets from sitting around on the lot, they'll probably hold their ground at a little over true invoice less any incentives. Once it ends up in the true loss column that's not reversible, and compounds itself monthly, they'll start dropping on what they'll take real quick. It's all about timing. Auto sales are in the crapper right now so I would keep hounding them often if I wanted that leftover.

I am all for getting the best deal possible but your example is totally unrealistic. You can't sell a sedan right now, much less a Kia, and the Ford truck is America's number one selling vehicle. To think about a 38% discount is just silly thinking. I can tell you when the truck was floor planned...the day it was shipped. Every Ford comes with a time of pre-paid floor plan.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure what the Ford dealer is willing to discount, but a local Kia dealer near me has 3 2017 leftover Kia Hyoki 4 door sedans that are loaded up with everything, and sticker for a tad over 25K. Take your pick of any of the 3, they're all white, for $15.5K. That's a 38% mark down and probably a realistic 25 to 30% from what you could have negotiated that puddle jumper for from sticker last year.

A lot has to do with when the dealer floored the F250. Until it's numbers go into brackets from sitting around on the lot, they'll probably hold their ground at a little over true invoice less any incentives. Once it ends up in the true loss column that's not reversible, and compounds itself monthly, they'll start dropping on what they'll take real quick. It's all about timing. Auto sales are in the crapper right now so I would keep hounding them often if I wanted that leftover.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?