cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

FW decals

Bassmon
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen alot of comments about general upkeep keeping the fifth wheel "waxed" but I understand it a whole different story what to use on the decals.Some say marine 31 gel coat spray wax plus or 303. Any others that are more of a sealant that can be used for decals as well as the gel coat fiberglass?
A similar post is here but i didn't see it speak about decals.

Thank's in advance,

Larry
Larry
4 REPLIES 4

digital_art
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
ScottG wrote:

So I firmly believe it's UV that damages

It most certainly is UV. Along with the fact that RV manufacturers get graphics from the lowest irresponsible bidder, who uses generic vinyl and not 3M or Oracal branded material that has a much longer life where UV is concerned. When an RV manufacturer let's a contract for graphics it's for X amount for a given period of production based on model. When those are gone, they're usually gone and is the reason when a manufacturer is contacted about replacements they either don't have them or the price is astronomical. The vendor that provided them is usually out of business by that point, or if not have trashed all the templates when they were not the lowest irresponsible bidder next go around.

you are right. the rv manufacturer will want the lowest price possible. this means the graphics supplier will look at ways to cut the cost by using inferior vinyl or not protecting the printed inks. on any front graphics you would hope the vendor uses a UV clearcoat or laminate. you can usually tell that was used because it has a very very light amount of yellow.

what's worse is some vendors don't mention anything to the manufacturers. and you're also right that these same vendors that received hundreds of thousands in graphics orders don't want to reproduce any replacement graphics unless they charge a lot.

getting back to the care of graphics, meguiar's and chemical guys have developed products to help with the care and longevity of vinyl graphics. check them out and see which is better for your needs.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:

So I firmly believe it's UV that damages

It most certainly is UV. Along with the fact that RV manufacturers get graphics from the lowest irresponsible bidder, who uses generic vinyl and not 3M or Oracal branded material that has a much longer life where UV is concerned. When an RV manufacturer let's a contract for graphics it's for X amount for a given period of production based on model. When those are gone, they're usually gone and is the reason when a manufacturer is contacted about replacements they either don't have them or the price is astronomical. The vendor that provided them is usually out of business by that point, or if not have trashed all the templates when they were not the lowest irresponsible bidder next go around.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Took this pic the day I traded in our 13 y/o trailer. I waxed the entire rig at least once a year. It looked like new.
The only decals that failed were those on the front. They would get the full afternoon sun but the rest of the trailer was protected.

So I firmly believe it's UV that damages graphics.

Moderator edit to re-size picture to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
I've read a lot of mixed information on the care of decals and it just left me confused. When I bought my 5th wheel 4 years ago, I started using Meguiar's Ultimate Wax on the ENTIRE exterior including the decals. Who knows for sure if it's the "BEST" thing to use, but all I can say is my rig, including the decals looks better than the day I brought it home brand new!
Tony
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.