cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Coachman owners ...

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
... did the Azdel walls make any impact in your decision to purchase the brand ? None, some, a lot ?
7 REPLIES 7

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
theoldwizard1 wrote:
DavinD wrote:
Kind of. Most 40' models we looked at with opposing slide living rooms were 16,000 pounds plus (GVWR) which was a bit much for my SRW F350. The Coachman model we bought was 14,500. I'm no expert, but I think the Azdel is lighter thus making the model lighter.

Azdel is definitely lighter than luan (some claims 50% lighter).

Coachmen only uses it for the outermost substrate layer for the side walls in the 4 layer lamination , not the front, rear, roof or floor, and not the inner wall surface. Granted it will not come apart like Luan after enough water gets in, but the adhesives can still release and you have delam just the same. Thank the EPA and low VOC water based adhesives. The filon will release from the Azdel, or the Azdel from the open cell foam. Even if it is 50% lighter on a 30' rig that's about a 90 lb weight reduction, not 1500 pounds. It does however look attractive on the brochure and website.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
DavinD wrote:
Kind of. Most 40' models we looked at with opposing slide living rooms were 16,000 pounds plus (GVWR) which was a bit much for my SRW F350. The Coachman model we bought was 14,500. I'm no expert, but I think the Azdel is lighter thus making the model lighter.

Azdel is definitely lighter than luan (some claims 50% lighter).

DavinD
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Coachman Chaparral 381RD

TV - 2013 Ford F350 Diesel SRW 4x4 Short Bed

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
I never really thought about it.We bought our 1st Coachman because of price point for the quality and size.Second one was the same.It sure doesn't hurt a thing though.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
it was certainly a plus in our decision.
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

I-Can-Am-Can-Yo
Explorer
Explorer
Considering my 2015 Freelander has been about as water tight as a dollar store sieve, itโ€™s saved my bacon more than once by not delaminating.

Didnโ€™t influence my purchase much. I knew what I was getting. Didnโ€™t think itโ€™d be quite this bad though.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
... did the Azdel walls make any impact in your decision to purchase the brand ? None, some, a lot ?

I didn't buy our Coachmen because of the Azdel, which is used only on the side walls, but it sure didn't hurt when I suffered a fairly noticeable leak in a torrential rainstorm on one of our first trips out. Dealer later re-caulked the entire trailer and we've never had an issue since. :B
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380