Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creaky Sounds Turning Trailer

Caveman_28
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,

I’m pretty new to the travel trailer scene but am wondering if someone can tell me how to get rid of the creaking noises when I back the trailer up. Where exactly is this sound coming from? Thanks for your insights.

https://youtu.be/XQdx5gktUAA
21 REPLIES 21

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
harley4275 wrote:
Like said earlier ...bracket jackets ...the plastic/nylon that goes between the moving bar and L-bracket. and no , they do not affect sway...I have always used them.

I got a set of these from a friend that went to a 5th wheel. I haven't noticed my E4 to be any quieter with them on...

Make sure you put some grease on the ball and on the top and bottom of the parts of the headthat the bars go into .
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
harley4275 wrote:
Like said earlier ...bracket jackets ...the plastic/nylon that goes between the moving bar and L-bracket. and no , they do not affect sway...I have always used them.

I got a set of these from a friend that went to a 5th wheel. I haven't noticed my E4 to be any quieter with them on...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
Our Reese DC WDH makes loud snap/crack/bang/pop/creak noises. It's how we signal our arrival to everyone in the CG. 🙂

Hitch noise is just part of going camping along with other noisy things like jacks, awnings, idling diesels & kids. 😞

What are these “noisy kids” you speak of?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Our Reese DC WDH makes loud snap/crack/bang/pop/creak noises. It's how we signal our arrival to everyone in the CG. 🙂

Hitch noise is just part of going camping along with other noisy things like jacks, awnings, idling diesels & kids. 😞

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer sounded like it was falling apart when going through the campground. I went thought the suspension and found the equalizers were shot along with the plastic bushings. I replaced the bushings with bronze ones and went with the dexter ez flex equalizers and wet bolt kit. Made the trailer much more stable because the equalizers are now solid. And I can sneak into a campground at night without the trailer suspension making a sound.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
My TT makes creaking sounds when I back in. Or, even going over bumps. It is not the sway bars, it is from the trailer suspension. I took it to my mechanic and he said that it was not wore out enough yet to require replacement. I just keep spraying some WD-40 on it from time to time to keep the noise down.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
That creaking sound can come from the nylon bushings being ground into dust or ripped to shreds, while the spring eyes are grinding against the hanger brackets when you're putting them on a bind.

Can, but not always. 😉 These are the parts from my previous K-Z Spree, including destroyed nylon bushings ... clearly shot, yet they never made a sound.

Rather than replace the bushings with new nylon bushings which would also eventually wear out I installed a costly Dexter wet bolt kit ...

Made me feel better about the repair but proved to be a poor investment when we sold the trailer a year later. :R

My current Coachmen's suspension has creaked for as long as I can remember. :M Last fall I had the nylon bushings removed but none had failed at all, even after 5 yrs of service. Nonetheless, I had them replaced with a set of Lippert Never Fail permanently lubricated bushings ...

The trailer is still in winter storage so it remains to be seen whether this will eliminate the creaking racket ... maybe, maybe not. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
That creaking sound can come from the nylon bushings being ground into dust or ripped to shreds, while the spring eyes are grinding against the hanger brackets when you're putting them on a bind.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

oyarsa
Explorer
Explorer
I agree that this group is very helpful.

Also, (as a fellow newbie) don't be disturbed if you notice one of your tires buckling in/under when you turn. Still creeps me out watching that happen, but this group informed me it's normal.

Caveman_28
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are awesome. I really appreciate you all taking time to help me out. Thanks!

mkisamore
Explorer
Explorer
if not is, sorry

mkisamore
Explorer
Explorer
welcome to pulling trailers, every trailer I've pulled has made noise when going around turns,is you have to make a lot of super sharp turns be careful if your rig is extremely heavy it may cause damage to the bearings. Been seeing that a lot in our trailers at work that are weighing in at 15 K

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
It's your friction sway bars making that noise. Some folks disconnect them before backing up.

From this video it's evident the OP is running a Fastway E2 system which doesn't have any "sway bars", they're weight distribution spring bars. Since the E2 by virtue of it's design offers integrated 2-point sway control he also has no need to run a separate friction sway bar. I'd agree though that the origination of this noise seems to be the WD system and not the trailer's suspension system which can also creak.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380