cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much weight to tow with TC

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1999 Ram dually Cummins diesel(5.9), Quad Cab with a 3.55 rear end...My question is if anyone with this set up, how much weight do pull with a boat or trailer?
13 REPLIES 13

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
Well said.... I guess it is really getting old my 99 Ram because I was working on the camper and under the truck there was a big empty space where the spare tire used to be, The bracket from the cable was rusted and bent, I assume the tire just dropped off but, my garage mechanic thinks it might have been a theft..... we are in NY you know!

dirtyhandz
Explorer
Explorer
Stock cummins is gonna have plenty of power to move anything your truck can handle. Good tires and brakes are pretty important IMHO.

BradW
Explorer II
Explorer II
We cross the scales at 18,000 lbs hauling our 4k lb lance, towing our jeep on a car hauler trailer on a 24" extension and WD hitch. Our rig actually drives better with the trailer back there.

Brad
Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 4000+ pound camper and tow a 10,000 trailer with a '99 Dodge with Cummins, with zero problems - but it isn't stock.
What your truck will do depends... is it manual or automatic? Is the transmission stock? (Hopefully not, they're garbage when stock!)
Have you upgraded your fuel pump? Thats the FIRST thing you need to do to a 24-valve Cummins, the original is inadequate and won't provide enough fuel pressure to keep your injector pump cool.

You need an exhaust brake. The diesel provides barely any engine braking without one.

I can tell you a LOT about how to set up that truck to tow heavy but first I need to know exactly what you have.

Oh... and do you know about the dreaded "53" block in those early 24-valve trucks?
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know what HP your Cummins has, but my 440HP Powerstroke, 3.50 differential did pull over 20,000lb combo on long California grades without dropping from overdrive.
Went empty on 20% grade. Did it on 4th gear.

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
Good info...older now towing at the speed limit... no rush... I was most concerned about the 3:55 rear as opposed to the stock 4:10

Dave

Bedlam
You should get good performance up to your GCWR. Beyond that, component wear will be more severe and performance for slowing and accelerating will decrease. My F250 was about 19,500 lbs GCW with 12,500 lbs of GVW when I was carrying my camper and towing the trailer at the same time - I was around 11,500 lbs GVW without the trailer.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Grit,
the camper breaks the wind, you barely notice the trailer load. BTW, my truck has been upgraded with a dana 80 rear axle same as the OP has, and the cummins has been tweeked to double the horsepower.
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Different trucks = different pulling power. Even yours. Is it stock or built?
In general, hauling a similar camper. AF860, little lighter than yours, feels like the equivalent of towing a 6-8klb enclosed trailer, mainly due to wind resistance. Hooking a 6-8000lb trailer behind the camper does not feel like it adds that much due to no additional wind resistance.
Hope this helps, otherwise itโ€™s a vague answer to a vague question. What, where and how fast you want to tow is as much a factor as what youโ€™re towing it with, IMO.
IE youโ€™ll do better running 55mph across the Midwest than 75mph through the Rockies.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Hemi_Joel
Explorer
Explorer
I pull a 28' enclosed at #8000 - #10000 depending on what I load. It has an extended tongue to reach the hitch. I position the vehicle in the trailer rearward to keep the tongue weight to a minimum. The old 10% rule of thumb for tongue weight doesn't apply with this long of a trailer, 300 - 400# is plenty. It tows like a dream.

click for a bigger picture
2018 Eagle Cap 1163 triple slide, 400W solar, MPPT, on a 93 Dodge D350 Cummins, DTT 89 torque converter, big turbo, 3 extra main leafs, Rancho 9000s rear, Monroe gas magnums front, upper overloads removed, home made stableloads, bags.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
My F350 is rated for 22,000lb pull.
But it is the weight distribution that will be your limit with long camper
The members who pull 10k lb trailers had to go to heavy trucks just to get suspension who could carry the tongue weight on stinger.

kohldad
Explorer
Explorer
Pulling wise, you can pull a bunch, but the limiting factor is the rear axle.
First thing you will need to do is weight the truck loaded for a trip and see how much additional weight you can put on the rear axle. Without knowing that, would only be wildly guessing at how much you can tow with the camper.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Harleybullet
Explorer
Explorer
I should add I have an AF 1150 on the truck