cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Toppers

jbrack
Explorer
Explorer
I am struggling with the decision to purchase/install slide toppers. While I see the benefits, I also see issues with sagging, standing water, wind tearing the thing apart, and the cost. I need three toppers and it looks like a decent quality product will set me back around $1000. I read many of the forums on this subject but they seem a bit dated. I am wondering if things have changed in today's world of slide toppers.
30 REPLIES 30

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
Mont G&J wrote:
I have them and I don't regret it. When those west Texas winds blow, I fill an empty gallon milk jug with water and throw it up on top the topper to help keep the flapping down. When I close the slide the jug just falls to the ground.

Gads!! - I thought I had been hit on the head by a TX size HAIL STONE while walking through the campground.....right after I heard somebody yell, "Duck and Cover"!!..:W

~

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer
I have them and I don't regret it. When those west Texas winds blow, I fill an empty gallon milk jug with water and throw it up on top the topper to help keep the flapping down. When I close the slide the jug just falls to the ground.

Sargehut234
Explorer
Explorer
Have them now and will never be without them again.
10 yrs. old and still look and work fine.

Deraldjr
Explorer
Explorer
I had installed after coming back from race in downpour. When we got to trailer the water was pouring in top of slide. The gasket didn't flip out right and its near impossible to see if the one on top goes out. Have to get on top and lay down and pull it out. No fun returning to a flooded trailer. Also am traveling now in southwest with little rain but lots of wind. They are annoying flapping around. 50 mph winds. Still will get on next one.

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
3 pages and it proves my comments in this article:
http://learntorv.com/slide-toppers-aka-awnings-definitely/
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2009 CC Silverback came with Slide toppers. We just ordered our 2019 Cedar Creek WITH Slide toppers.....would never have a rig without them. Ours have held up real well, we keep them clean....very rarely have they flopped in the wind....and yes, you learn where to stand when they come in.

...and yes, I have stood under them with a long brush brushing WET pine needless off as they wound up.

Good Luck,
Mike
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
What product are those of you going with that installed them on your own?
And where are you purchasing from?
Luke & Carolyn
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
2013 Sierra 3500HD Duramax CC SRW SB 4x4
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Well, we were in the Pacific Northwest last year and did get rained on twice: once for three days and once for 5 days."

Must have been in July.
LOL
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Well, we were in the Pacific Northwest last year and did get rained on twice: once for three days and once for 5 days."

Must have been in July.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I installed mine because my slides don't have a top flange and I use them to prevent water intrusion when the slides are closed. Came to appreciate them more when they rolled off a sheet of ice at Yellowstone. The ice would have certainly slid under the slide wipers and melted inside the trailer. In my mind they are "no brainer" conveniences which are worth the effort and expense. If your headboard is inside a slide the slide topper will make it quieter inside during a hard rain. I'm keeping mine.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
That's been my experience also Barney. I open the slides at home to unload, and check the roof a couple times a year, and I've never noticed any kind of detritus that has been rolled up in the slides.

I got the slide toppers to lessen the number of my chores, not add to them.

Yeah, we never camp where it rains either. Well, we were in the Pacific Northwest last year and did get rained on twice: once for three days and once for 5 days. ๐Ÿ™‚
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:

They get rolled up inside the topper unless you get up there and remove before bringing in the slide. Of course I never stay where it rains!

Negative! I have had toppers on my rigs since 1997 and have never had anything get rolled up inside the topper when bringing it in. If you are worried about it, then all you need do is stand outside with a broom and brush the roller as it rolls up the topper. Never been necessary in my experience but I can see how it could happen with dried leaves after sitting for some time.

Bottom line - I never worry about what is on the topper when I bring slide rooms in. Whatever is up there always drops off as the slide goes in and the roller rolls up the material. Nothing gets caught in the slide seal as there is nothing there to get caught - thanks to the topper.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
Our 2010 didn't come with them so we had them installed, and wouldn't have a trailer without them. No leaf blowers, no ladders, no long handled brooms, no worries. They keep the slides cooler in the sun, and if the rain puddles in them who cares? Any flapping they do in heavy winds is unnoticed. One of the best things you can buy.

What do you do when it's raining and the toppers are covered with pine needles or leaves when retracting the slides?
Nothing.

The rain and pine needles are outside, and stay outside when retracting the slide, unlike what happens when you don't have slide toppers.

They get rolled up inside the topper unless you get up there and remove before bringing in the slide. Of course I never stay where it rains!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

TJames1974
Explorer
Explorer
have them on the three slide on my trailer. one is the bedroom slide right above our head. have never heard them flap. We have camped on the Oregon Coast in some pretty intense wind too. I never worry about bringing in wet slides of anything as the water is dumped off when I retract the slide. the biggest thing I have noticed is the install. if they are installed properly they work great. I wont be without them. I did go without them on the first trip and it sucked packing up in pouring rain and bringing the wet slides in. I dont worry about that anymore.
2003 Ford 6.0 Diesel
2017 Cougar 32RLK Fifth Wheel