cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DISH Winegard Trav’ler Satellite Questions?

Only_True_Mosno
Explorer
Explorer
So I have been a Direct TV customer for many years. I am tired of new customers being treated better than loyal ones like myself. So I have decided to switch to DISH Winegard Trav’ler Fixed Roof Satellite on my new Fiver. I have several questions for you guys that have a Winegard Satellite. Not interested in tailgater etc. I am very familiar with issues regarding trees etc...I would like advice on the following questions.

1. Are you happy with DISH service using a Winegard?
2. I noticed Camping World has it on sale for $1,200 compared to DISH AT $1,600. Does DISH recognize you as a equal customer if you get your equipment from someone other than DISH?
3. Will DISH install on an RV or is it easy to do it yourself?

Thanks in advance!
2018 Montana 3721RL

2018 Ford F350 Diesel

Life Comes Down to a Simple Choice...Get Busy Living or Get Busy Dying...
14 REPLIES 14

dkreuzen
Explorer
Explorer
I have had the DISH Trav’ler for 6 years and haven't had any problems with it. A few of my friends also have them and report no problems either.
Dennis
2012 Monaco Knight 36PFT
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
2005 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon on 2007 16' Car Trailer

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I'll just add that on the Dish eastern arc, the 61.5 sat is now the primary program source. Dish recently moved many popular channels there from 72.7.

DISH Network Channel List 1-999
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
TechWriter wrote:
ljr wrote:

1) It can’t get both at once, so no Hopper. I have no idea how many others that effects but the number is increasing as they add EA only markets.

You want a sat dish that can get the Western and the Eastern Arc sats at the same time?

To pick up all those sats, that dish would have to cover about 70 degrees of arc . . . figure the dish would be as large as an RV.

That’s not what I said. You correctly pointed out that I can get the individual EA satellites. The arc means getting both at once. A Hopper needs both.

Do you work for Winegard?

We use the hopper 3 and do fine on the Western arc, 110.119.129 only. Techwriter has posted the exact and very clear diagram on how to do it. Follow his directions carefully and it works with the hopper 3 very well.

We have been Dish customers 20 years now and are quite satisfied. Perfect, no but when a problem arises we have always been pleased with their willingness to make it right. We use Dish in the rv and the house and take the hopper dvr and all it’s recorded and normal programming with us in the rv.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
TechWriter wrote:
ljr wrote:

1) It can’t get both at once, so no Hopper. I have no idea how many others that effects but the number is increasing as they add EA only markets.

You want a sat dish that can get the Western and the Eastern Arc sats at the same time?

To pick up all those sats, that dish would have to cover about 70 degrees of arc . . . figure the dish would be as large as an RV.

That’s not what I said. You correctly pointed out that I can get the individual EA satellites. The arc means getting both at once. A Hopper needs both.

Do you work for Winegard?
Larry

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:

2004 - 2010 Part Timer (35’ 2004 National RV Sea Breeze 8341 - Workhorse)
2010 - 2021 Full Timer (41’ 2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP - Cummins)
2021 - ??? Part Timer (31’ 2001 National RV Sea View 8311 - Ford)
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
Winegard Trav’ler = Very expensive junk ( mine lasted 2 years before it died/ would not stow ) Winegards only response was send it back. Can you imagine crawling up top and taking that monstrosity apart and packing it up. Then you pay big $$ to ship it to them and maybe get it back repaired and not knowing if it is until you put it back together . NO WAY !!!!!!

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
TechWriter wrote:
ljr wrote:
I have a Trav’ler and Dish in a FW. I regret the purchase for two reasons (One of which is now avoidable with the right configuration.) that may or may not apply to you.

I'm not making light of your Travler/DISH experience, but I think there are far more satisfied customers.

Also, your info below is not really correct.

ljr wrote:

1) It only supports the Dish western arc. Whether or not that matters depends on your travel and viewing habits. The number of markets effected is small but growing. Winegard rather adamantly states there is no fix coming.

The DISH Winegard Traveler can acquire Western Arc sats 110, 119, and 129. The Traveler can also acquire Easter Arc sat 61.5 and some people report they have received sat 72.7.

ljr wrote:

2) It didn’t used to support the Hopper 3. It does now with some extra hardware and correct installation. If there is a Hopper 3 in your future you’ll need to make sure it’s installed with that in mind.

To use a Hopper 3 with a Winegard Travler, all you need is an $80 DPH42 switch.

2) As I said, “extra hardware and correct installation”.

I apologize if you find my dissatisfaction with the Trav’ler offensive.
Larry

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
ljr wrote:
I have a Trav’ler and Dish in a FW. I regret the purchase for two reasons (One of which is now avoidable with the right configuration.) that may or may not apply to you.

I'm not making light of your Travler/DISH experience, but I think there are far more satisfied customers.

Also, your info below is not really correct.

ljr wrote:

1) It only supports the Dish western arc. Whether or not that matters depends on your travel and viewing habits. The number of markets effected is small but growing. Winegard rather adamantly states there is no fix coming.

The DISH Winegard Traveler can acquire Western Arc sats 110, 119, and 129. The Traveler can also acquire Easter Arc sat 61.5 and some people report they have received sat 72.7.

ljr wrote:

2) It didn’t used to support the Hopper 3. It does now with some extra hardware and correct installation. If there is a Hopper 3 in your future you’ll need to make sure it’s installed with that in mind.

To use a Hopper 3 with a Winegard Travler, all you need is an $80 DPH42 switch.
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III

Larry

harley-dave
Explorer
Explorer
We have had a travl'r for 7 years now and its also been very good. We had damage of the LNB and arm from a terrific wind storm last year and Winegard tech support was excellent via email. Fair price on replacement parts also. Replaced the arm, LNB, and reflector on it and it looks and works like a new one.

Dave
2005 Winnebago-Itasca Sundancer 31C
2010 Harley-Davidson Soft tail Deluxe
2014 Harley-Davidson Street Glide Special
1999 Chevrolet Tracker 4X4
SKP # 121272

TechWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Only True Mosnowman wrote:

1. Are you happy with DISH service using a Winegard?

Yep. I've had two Travlers (on two different RVs I've owned) for over 8 years, and they've been bulletproof.

Some people have had problems with their Travlers, but so have RF Mogul users - see the Korean software thread.

Plus, an RF Mogul will set you back about $2000 while a DISH Travler can be had for about $1200.

2. I noticed Camping World has it on sale for $1,200 compared to DISH AT $1,600. Does DISH recognize you as a equal customer if you get your equipment from someone other than DISH?

DISH doesn't care if you're in a RV.

3. Will DISH install on an RV or is it easy to do it yourself?

Find a local DISH installer who will install in an RV. However, if you need to run cabling, I suggest you do that part before the installer arrives.

Finally, if you're spending the money on a Travler (or an RF Mogul), then get a Hopper 3 -- 16 tuners, 2 TB DVR, etc, etc
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Dennis_M_M
Explorer
Explorer
Been using Dish with a Winegard Trav'ler for 10 years or more with no issues at all. Changing locals has become less of a hassle over the past few years.
'99 Volvo VNL610 - 425 HP Volvo; Super 10 Spd
'13 smart CityFlame on Volvo
'05 Newmar Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
Trailer Saver; Bigfoot; Pressure-Pro.
Our Travel Blog - A New Adventure

donn0128
Explorer
Explorer
Given my prior experiences with Winegard there is no way in heck I would advise you throwing your money away on a Winegard Travler.
RF Mogul while a bit more expensive is a much better thought.
Now, Dish could care less how you get their signal. Dish likely will not instal in any RV. Once you have your dish installed, either yourself or pay someone to do it, all you need to do is order the receiver. When it arrives plug it in and go thru startup procedures.
Installed a dish onmthe roof takes time. It is heavy to get up there. Ssure you can DIY. Locate a place to install it, mount it to the roof, drill a hole where you want the wires to drop inside and feed them down. Locate the control box, seal everything up and your done.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was a longtime Directv customer at house and RV. RV used dome in roof or tripod.

I too got tired of new customers getting way better deals than me so switched to DISH a few years ago.

I couldn’t be happier. DISH is way more RV friendly. They are glad to change locals to your new zip as often as you like.

I use a Winegard carry out Pathway X2. It gets both eastern and western arc.

It is so easy to use. You connect it, plug in your Wally sat box and a menu comes up asking you which arc you want etc. click scan and you’re done.

You can reauthorize your sat bcx with their app on a smart phone. No hat, iPhone call.

I never use my dome. I wouldn’t buy a rooftop on a dare.

Could not be more pleased with My Pathway and DISH.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.