cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fifth wheel hitch suggestion

RickeyS1
Explorer
Explorer
So I have bought the new truck 2018 ram 3500 dually 8’ bed and new fifth wheel Durango Gold 384RLT, now need suggestion for hitch, do not want to go by dealer suggestion. So what would be best fit for hitch?

Again thanks for everyone’s help in making my decision
Rick
50 REPLIES 50

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Do you do a pull test with the B&W now that you have used it a few times?

I have not done so for at least 10 years.

Look at Jaws closed around kingpin handle locked not going to fall.

No I don't. Didn't every time with the Reese either. The handle lock grove will tell, if it's not all the way in the jaws are not closed. I would expect the B&W to be the same, if it won't pin the jaws will mot be closed.

MFL wrote:

Yes, great choice! The puck system is far superior, especially when comparing to single point attachment. It will be hard for any hitch maker to compete in the future, if they cannot fasten direct to big three puck systems.

Jerry

It will be hard. I would not buy a new truck without it. The GM pucks are cheaper than getting rails installed. And come with the 7-way plug and spray in liner. A deal I could not pass. I did not mind the rails. Used them often to tie large objects down with. But other times they were a pain.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
WTP-GC wrote:

Every gooseneck trailer I’ve ever towed has been a single point attachment. Being less superior doesn’t mean that it’s insufficient.

If you look at those gooseneck trailers you will notice all the steel comes together creating a robust point to attach to the gooseneck ball low in the bed of the truck. 5th wheel trailer are NOT similarly built, so some manufactures are making compromised hitch designs that use balls vs the king pin.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
WTP-GC wrote:

Every gooseneck trailer I’ve ever towed has been a single point attachment. Being less superior doesn’t mean that it’s insufficient.

LOL...gotcha!

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
jaycocamprs wrote:

Once we made the choice to get the factory mounting pucks in the new truck. Getting the B&W was a done deal. And a choice I am quite glad we made.

Yes, great choice! The puck system is far superior, especially when comparing to single point attachment. It will be hard for any hitch maker to compete in the future, if they cannot fasten direct to big three puck systems.

Jerry

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
jaycocamprs wrote:

Once we made the choice to get the factory mounting pucks in the new truck. Getting the B&W was a done deal. And a choice I am quite glad we made.

Jerry

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jaycocamprs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Honestly don't know the problem but most all beds with damage I have seen have this type of handle on the hitch.

I said without issue, but over the years I did have a few times that it failed a pull test or visual inspection. Once the disk slipped and the teeth bent down keeping the pin from fully seating. Other times just try again. But we never had a drop.

Let me just say...
The AUH is by far the easiest fifth wheel hitch in terms of verifying solid connection.
SBGTF

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocamprs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Honestly don't know the problem but most all beds with damage I have seen have this type of handle on the hitch.

I said without issue, but over the years I did have a few times that it failed a pull test or visual inspection. Once the disk slipped and the teeth bent down keeping the pin from fully seating. Other times just try again. But we never had a drop.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
jaycocamprs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"You won't find someone on here recommending you get a sub-$500 basic Reese hitch, even though there are countless rigs being towed all across the USA with those."

True and many rigs that look like this doing so.

Used one of those for 14 years with out issue. That said, the B&W in the new truck is without doubt a better hitch

WTP-GC

Read above.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for the Hensley TrailerSaver BD3. Removable. Air bags, smooth ride.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"You won't find someone on here recommending you get a sub-$500 basic Reese hitch, even though there are countless rigs being towed all across the USA with those."

By that logic, every truck I've ever seen with a dented tailgate is clearly caused by a fifth wheel mishap.
SBGTF

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
jaycocamprs wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Used one of those for 14 years with out issue. That said, the B&W in the new truck is without doubt a better hitch

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW

Scott16
Explorer
Explorer
B & W Companion.
US Navy Retired IC1(SW)USS Fletcher DD-992