cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toll plazas - bus/truck lane or passenger car lane?

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Since I have a dually towing the fiver, should I be going through any of the wider bus and truck lanes, or will I fit through the passenger car lanes? I've not had to cross any bridges yet nor have I passed a toll lane.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh
16 REPLIES 16

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Jack Spratt wrote:
stickdog wrote:
Our Mobile Suites is 105 inches wide unless it's a booth free tollroad we always use the truck/bus lanes. We have an IPASS same as the EZPASS just issued by Illinois.

102โ€ maximum legal width in Maine

That's true in most states, I think, but generally only includes the vehicle body proper; the rear view mirrors may stick out farther, as also may minor ancillary doodads like latches or marker lights or grab handles (though the non-mirror items are limited to a few extra inches projection).

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ditto, we use what ever lane will accept our EZ Pass or Sun Pass.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
We have a dually and use any lane that accepts our toll pass. It is a tight fit but we do fit. Some toll plazas do not even have special lanes for trucks or buses.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Our Mobile Suites is 105 inches wide unless it's a booth free tollroad we always use the truck/bus lanes. We have an IPASS same as the EZPASS just issued by Illinois.

102โ€ maximum legal width in Maine
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, youโ€™re be surprised how much narrower you can make your vehicle just by puckering up!!!! LOL
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Buzzcut
Explorer
Explorer
Before getting our pusher, I towed our fiver with a Volvo 610 tow vehicle and would always look for the farthest right lane at the tolls since this is always the biggest toll lane. However all lanes are big enough you just have to take your time going through and you'll be fine.
Dave & Jerrolyn, Zachary, Jake & Maxx and lab "Cody"
'00 Newmar Dutch Star 4093 CAT powered pusher.

http://community.webshots.com/user/Buzzcut39

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never really paid much attention to the toll booths with our dually and wide body toyhauler, and never had an issue. I suppose some are narrow, but we've never come across any.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
I've travelled the Chesapeake Bay bridge many times, up and down the East coast, Cross-country until no toll roads exist and have never seen a toll booth that wasn't wide enough to handle a dually or RV. Yes, you may want to slow down as the signage tells you to so you won't make a costly mistake. A short research tells me toll lanes can be 9 to 12 feet wide. The latter are the wide truck lanes. Those 9' lanes would be a tight fit for sure. Haven't come across a 9' toll lane yet, but will keep in mind when traveling a new route.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You want a Truck/Bus with an attendant. They are often just a little bit WIDER and where as most vehicles., INCLUDIN THE SEMI that delivered your car to the dealer. have a maximum width of eight feet (making the car narrower) RV's and Flat Bed Tow trucks can be up to 8 1/2 feet wide. So you want the wider lane.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
I always use the far right lane. Just crossed the Chesapeake Bay Bridge yesterday-the sign says "all vehicles over 5T GVW use lanes 9-11" the farthest lanes on the right. We cross it several times a year plus the WV TPK and I always go to the farthest right when towing or now with our Class C. Have seen plenty of rvs going through the other lanes, but mine is by choice. Gary
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

moresmoke
Explorer
Explorer
Most places the toll lanes are the same physical size, with the exception of the far right "wide load" lane. The bigger issue is the toll collection method. There are still places where the car toll lane has a coin machine only.

If you are going to travel the Midwest/North East get an Ez Pass. That way you can use most any lane, and many places use the open road tolling, not even having to stop at the toll booth. Also, the are some tolls that are Ez Pass or mail only, no attendant.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I made that mistake in VA I think? I wont do that again! too narrow to do it without worry. after that I went through the far right lanes which are the truck lanes!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC the big rig lanes are usually far right?
bumpy