Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Which Air Bags Are Best???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I am considering getting air bags for my 2018 Ram 3500 for towing a 12.5k 5th wheel with 2500 pound pin weight.

I have noticed that they offer several different weight levels--I don't know which i would need for the trailer I carry.

Also, what brand do you recommend? Seems that Firestone, Air Lift and Hellwig all offer air bags. Do you recommend one over another?

thanks
Matt
22 REPLIES 22

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i don't think the 5 psi min will never change. more cya. I been running the current set at 0 when unloaded since 2012 with no ill effects. i ran the set before that for 13 years. :h

if i am running an F250 unloaded or minimally loaded it would take one heck of a woop de do to do any noticeable compression on the rear spring. So if you take a 0 psi bag and compress it it is gonna immediately build pressure as the height is reduced.

It has been working for me.

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
About 16 years ago, I put Firestone airbags on a Chevy 2500 and the instruction on installation stated that a minimum of 5-10 psi should be maintained in the airbags, when running unloaded, to help with longevity of the air bags. Werenโ€™t supposed to run them completely empty. I donโ€™t know about today, but that was instructions back then.

Jim
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I had PacBrake on my 11 HO RAM Dually they worked well. Current 15 DRW RAM with factory rear air ride has Firestone bags. They have worked well.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
i run my firestones with no pressure in them when empty like Grit Dog does.

Why do you "have" to run the 5 psi Lou?

Because that was what I was told HAHA. My old '97 truck had them on there and that owner said to do that so you wouldn't damage the bags. I also had a 2000 Grand Marquis and the instructions were also to never put the car on a lift with out letting the air out first. So, I think there is an issue if you don't ride with at least some air in them
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i run my firestones with no pressure in them when empty like Grit Dog does.

Why do you "have" to run the 5 psi Lou?

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Had Timbrens on my old '03 F250 and they worked really well. problem was, that over time, the factory springs seemed to have lost their oomph and thus the Timbrens were atop the axle all the time creating a harsh ride all the time. Contacted Timbrens and explained the situation and they sent me new ones (presumably shorter). However 2 things.1. after having original ones in place for a few years, the road salt made it virtually impossible to remove the nuts that hold them so would have had to cut/grind top off and start over. 2nd. got rid of truck while never having switched over to replacement ones.

All in all, I felt they were worth the price and results and lifetime warranty. Sorry this is under the air bag question,. but others have brought Timbrens up and shared their findings as well.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
My 2013 Ram DWR came with air bags, I wonder why yours didn't? In any case, I have owned air bags and Timbrens. I would go back to Timbrens if I could. They are not air bags and when not in use , they won't change the ride of the truck. These trucks are stiff enough and air bags by design are always connected even with minimal air. Just my opinion, but like I said, I have owned both.

Because no pickups โ€œcomeโ€ with airbags in 2013 and now the only ones are 1500/2500 rams with air ride or select 3500s with the half springs and assist bags.
As far as brand, theyโ€™re air bags and they all work fine. Fwiw I bought some used firestone bags about 5 years ago and theyโ€™re still good.
And, no, air bags wonโ€™t affect the empty ride if you let all the air out. And no need to worry about the min pressure requirements if youโ€™re not hauling enough to bottom out the suspension. Some bags are also rated to run empty because they have a bump stop in them.

Grit, respectfully they do effect the ride even when empty. How can they not when they are always permanently connected from the axle? Mine certainly did and we always had to keep a min of 5 psi in them. The Timbrens much like overload springs only work when you need them. Simpler design in my opinion.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
When I was shopping airbags, I went with PACBRAKE, because instead of using a bracket hanging of the side of the truck frame for the upper mount, they sat totally under the frame of the truck.

I've seen photos of the side bracket mounted airbags bending the frame of the truck.
Bob

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SweetLou wrote:
My 2013 Ram DWR came with air bags, I wonder why yours didn't? In any case, I have owned air bags and Timbrens. I would go back to Timbrens if I could. They are not air bags and when not in use , they won't change the ride of the truck. These trucks are stiff enough and air bags by design are always connected even with minimal air. Just my opinion, but like I said, I have owned both.

Because no pickups โ€œcomeโ€ with airbags in 2013 and now the only ones are 1500/2500 rams with air ride or select 3500s with the half springs and assist bags.
As far as brand, theyโ€™re air bags and they all work fine. Fwiw I bought some used firestone bags about 5 years ago and theyโ€™re still good.
And, no, air bags wonโ€™t affect the empty ride if you let all the air out. And no need to worry about the min pressure requirements if youโ€™re not hauling enough to bottom out the suspension. Some bags are also rated to run empty because they have a bump stop in them.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
SweetLou wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
corvettekent wrote:
With a 3500 you should not need any air bags.

I agree especially with that light of RV.

Even more reason to have Timbrens. They work only when the load needs them

So do his factory overloads. His truck may only need a set of Bilsteins if he is getting a lot of rough road feedback.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
corvettekent wrote:

Even more reason to have Timbrens. They work only when the load needs them
We love our Westie

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
Bowler1, I agree with the others that your truck should handle that pin weight without the need for air bags.

Is there a particular issue your having that you think the air bags might help resolve? Is you truck level when hooked to the 5vr? For that matter is your trailer also level when hooked to the truck?

In preparation for my first heavy truck camper I installed the Firestone air bags but found out after the purchase that I didn't need them. I didn't need them for my heavy 5vr either.
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
corvettekent wrote:

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
No air bags needed for our 3400 lb pin weight. Chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy