cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2017 F350 dually

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Saw/found said truck online/out of state and seems like a decently equipped truck for a XLT. Supposed to have trailer tow pkg, so am thinking it should have sway bars as well. Factory sprayed in liner and 5th wheel prep. Not totally sold on what sales dude was saying here for not sure if he really knows, but he did say there was a plug on left side of box plus the 2 by receiver. Back door windows he said have a smoke tint so not sure if it has factory tint or not. No power drivers seat (not a deal killer). Not sure on block heater as well.However, 1 thing that does have me wondering is the gearing. Sales dude claims it has 3.55 NON limited slip. Living here in NY, it's almost a given you should have it, but many do not. Should this really be a deal breaker???? Bad choice for a dually? Every '17 truck I looked at had 4.10 LS gears, but didn't know if other optional gearing was avail. Options not incl from factory, I can add here aftermarket.

Am trying to get specs from local Ford dealer as to what's on the truck, but would greatly appreciate your input. It has 16,000 miles and was a rental truck. Asking 48K.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"
11 REPLIES 11

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Chevy dually with an open rear differential and promptly put in a Detroit Truetrac. If/when anything happens to the differential in my '01 Excursion or my '13 F350, a TrueTrac will go in its place. Very strong rear differential and well worth the money.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
ACZL wrote:
Saw/found said truck online/out of state and seems like a decently equipped truck for a XLT. Supposed to have trailer tow pkg, so am thinking it should have sway bars as well. Factory sprayed in liner and 5th wheel prep. Not totally sold on what sales dude was saying here for not sure if he really knows, but he did say there was a plug on left side of box plus the 2 by receiver. Back door windows he said have a smoke tint so not sure if it has factory tint or not. No power drivers seat (not a deal killer). Not sure on block heater as well.However, 1 thing that does have me wondering is the gearing. Sales dude claims it has 3.55 NON limited slip. Living here in NY, it's almost a given you should have it, but many do not. Should this really be a deal breaker???? Bad choice for a dually? Every '17 truck I looked at had 4.10 LS gears, but didn't know if other optional gearing was avail. Options not incl from factory, I can add here aftermarket.

Am trying to get specs from local Ford dealer as to what's on the truck, but would greatly appreciate your input. It has 16,000 miles and was a rental truck. Asking 48K.

With the trailer tow package, I am thinking he means camper package, will add heavier spring on the front, sway bar is standard on a dually. If dealer is talking tow technology package, that is cameras, lane assist, auto wipers and more. Fifth wheel prep will be the pucks in the bed along with the seven pin plug in bed side.If the truck was built for NY, then a black heater is standard. 3.55 non-LS is standard with the 3.55 LS and 4.10 LS being options. Around my parts most trucks are 3.55 LS. I had to order mine to get the 4.10 LS and glad I did. Depending on how much you plan to pull the 3.55 will do fine.

I would also get the dealer to run an Oasis report which will tell you any work a Ford dealer has done on the truck. Might just be me, but being a rental would be a concern. I have never saw a rental that hasn't been "rode hard and put up wet."
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
I seldom find any use for a locking diff. Whether to go 3.55 or 4.10 gears has most to do with how you will use the truck ..... On highway towing 18000 - 25000 lb rv the 3.55 will out pull the 4.10 as often as vice versa. Starting out in low gear in soft ground or on steep grades the 4.10 has a clear advantage.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

lmpres
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 17 dually Lariat in Dec. Love it!

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies thus far. Local dealer hasn't called me back (probly cuz he's not making a sale.....too bad). Will check out the site like mentioned.

Upon plugging in VIN number to Like's site, it spit out that it hasn't been printed (or just old) and will have to get info from dealer by sounds of it.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
If the dealer can give you the VIN you can look up the original window sticker here:
Ford Window Sticker Search.
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

1jeep
Explorer
Explorer
mowingman wrote:
THe axle ratio should also be on the window sticker. However, read all the listed options, as some options will require a change in ratio, (which will show up next to that option). So, only checking the original ratio shown at the top of the sticker can be misleading.
The 3.55 is usually standard equipment with the diesel option.
With the 5th wheel prep package, you will get an RV plug on the left inside rear corner of the bed, as well as a dual plug on the back under the rear bumper. The back plug has 2 sockets, one for the RV plug and one for a flat plug.
I did not think that you could get a factory installed spray-in liner. That is a new one on me. Those are usually installed by the dealer at an aftermarket place.

Some reason I thought DRW were 3:72 or optional 4:10 from 2017 up.

As for the bed liner my 2016 came with the factory prep, pplug in bed and puck system along with the ford spray in bed liner. I cant see ford stopping an option they make $$ on.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know if it exists any more, but there used to be a place online that given the VIN you could print the window sticker. Very useful.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Have pics sent, and can a VIN be looked up online for specs?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

mowingman
Explorer
Explorer
THe axle ratio should also be on the window sticker. However, read all the listed options, as some options will require a change in ratio, (which will show up next to that option). So, only checking the original ratio shown at the top of the sticker can be misleading.
The 3.55 is usually standard equipment with the diesel option.
With the 5th wheel prep package, you will get an RV plug on the left inside rear corner of the bed, as well as a dual plug on the back under the rear bumper. The back plug has 2 sockets, one for the RV plug and one for a flat plug.
I did not think that you could get a factory installed spray-in liner. That is a new one on me. Those are usually installed by the dealer at an aftermarket place.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We purchased a brand spanking new one in December - XLT dually 6.7L PowerStroke with the 3.55, 4X4, for less than $51K. We found one that was 3.55 and another than was 4.10.

The dealer should be able to pull the original spec sheet using the VIN#.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW