cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Advice on How to Fix

TxTiger
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2013 Northstar pop up truck camper. This weekend while on a road trip one of the front latches that holds the roof down came off where it attaches to the side of the camper. I have ordered a new latch from Northstar and will install it when it arrives. When the latch pulled loose it no doubt stripped the screw holes that secured the latch. My question is what should I fill the screw holes with to ensure a tight screw bite? I don't think I can use a bigger diameter screw because the latch holes are sized for the original sized screws. I was thinking maybe a good wood glue.

Thanks for any advice.
2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800
7 REPLIES 7

TxTiger
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the ideas, I appreciate it a lot.
2000 F250, 7.3 PSD, 6 speed manual, CC, SB
2013 Northstar TC800

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
might add I,d use stainless bolts with stainless self locking nuts. you could use a piece flat stock aluminum to.

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dittos on what Trouble Waters said except that you should not need to paint-to-match because you will never see it when the top is down and the plate will be on the outside of and tight against the softop when raised.

Keep an eye on those rear plates where the lift mechanism fastens... that wood can weaken over time and it is a real bear to fix. I had to do it on my '94 NorthStar and it it takes some effort to repair.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
troubledwaters has it. might as well do them all that way.

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Drill it all the way through and use a bolt with a washer and lock nut. Anything less will pull out again.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use a wood dowel, close as possible to the size of the screw holes. Cut a piece of the dowel, same length as the screws. Paint the dowel piece with wood glue and use a hammer to tap it (don't pound hard, just enough to push the dowel in) into the screw holes. The install new latch.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

troubledwaters
Explorer II
Explorer II
Drill all the way through and put a plate on the inside. Paint the plate on the inside to match so it's not noticeable. That's what I did with my hybrid when the latches started to loosen.