cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgate storage

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 Ram 3500 can't have the tailgate on when the 10'2" NL is in the bed. I'm sure that's typical for most people, so there must be a common set of solutions for what to do with the tailgate when not on the truck. I'm currently putting it on a pair of saw horses in the garage, but it's in the way. I'm hoping people can provide some options, links, pictures, etc. for what they have done and maybe what they would do differently.

FWIW, I'm currently leaning towards installing a garage hoist platform so I can raise it to the rafters where it won't block the floor and should be clear of the lights. Any other thoughts that don't involve disposing of it altogether?
39 REPLIES 39

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
bkenobi wrote:
That's for moving the camper around?

Yes -- storage . (except I use a small winch now to move it around)
Cal

jmckelvy
Explorer
Explorer
I usually lean it against the garage wall out of the way. Sometimes I leave it in the pole barn where the TC is stored. Depends on when I remember to remove it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I have noticed that sucker gets heavier every year!
06 RAM 3500,Dually,CTD,Auto(ATS Stage 1),QC,4X4,PacBrake,Spyntec Freespin Hubs,60 Gal Titan Tank,EFI Live, Line-X,Torklifts and SuperHitch,Fastguns
2013 Arctic Fox 990, 275 Watts Solar, 2 Grp 31 AGMs
US Navy 1964-1968, 2-Tour Vietnam Vet

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
That's for moving the camper around?

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
I just lay it on this when the camper isn't on it.
Cal

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I tried that once and didn't break anything. But, I'm not doing that again!

specta
Explorer
Explorer
I can handle my tailgate by myself.

I just set it on a shelf in the garage.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
I like that idea, it just won't work for me. I actually did something similar with my ranger's bed extender. I never uae it, so I hung it on the wall and now it holds my garden hoses and tarps.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Oregun wrote:
n0m4d wrote:
It's been on my to-do list to weld up a frame that has the same tabs and latches as my trucks bed, lag the frame to the wall of my garage, and be able hang my tailgate on the wall in the same fashion as its on my truck. As a bonus, I'd be able to swing it down and use it as a lite duty bench from time to time.

I like your idea the best cause I was thinking of the same thing. : )

That's a heck of a good idea!
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Oregun
Explorer III
Explorer III
n0m4d wrote:
It's been on my to-do list to weld up a frame that has the same tabs and latches as my trucks bed, lag the frame to the wall of my garage, and be able hang my tailgate on the wall in the same fashion as its on my truck. As a bonus, I'd be able to swing it down and use it as a lite duty bench from time to time.

I like your idea the best cause I was thinking of the same thing. : )

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I have a motorcycle hydraulic lift and it might be a solution.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
Weight was one reason I want it out of the way. If the Ram tailgate was as light as my Ranger's, I'd just put it somewhere and move it if needed. This thing requires 2 to load/unload/move safely. I don't want to ask for help any time it's in the way. I suppose another option would be to load it on a hand cart so if it needed relocation it would be a non-issue.

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
I also have mine leaning against a wall in the garage. If that is unacceptable, it is designed for a life totally outdoors. Another option would be to prop it up against an outside garage wall. If you want it out of sight and locked up, a plastic storage compartment should do it for relatively little money. I would definitely not want to hoist it up to the ceiling in my garage. It is just plain too heavy for that.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
When the camper is on the truck we are not home so it just sits on a foam mat in the middle of the garage.
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I would avoid those cheap bike hoists for a tailgate. I suggest if you want a quality and safe hoist, get The Harken Hoister. I have the Garage Storage - Hoister Storage Systems โ€” 75-200 lb Load/12'.

Amazon

It's very easy to use. I use mine for my kayaks, not for the tailgate.

Regarding my tailgate, I just take it off and lean it against the wall in between my two garage door rails. A strong bungee keeps it secure. And it rests on a folded-over bathmat.