cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

campgrounds close to LA and Anahiem

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Think I have Anahiem figured out but some help on LA.
Headed south mid July for a few weeks. 40 foot toyhauler, mom dad and 2 boys aged 12 and 14. We did the trip 5 years ago to experience Disney and liked Anahiem RV resort for proximity, pool, size , etc.

This trip we would like to take in Universal so asking about proximity for LA. An hour drive is fine.

Also, stayed around Oceanside last trip to experience the beaches and I would like to take my paddleboard. Any recommendations there would be appreciated also.
Thanks in advance. Love traveling south especially with the winter from Hell up here.
14 REPLIES 14

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info. Leaning towards Valencia for a few nights and Anahiem RV park again. Need to book soon!

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
There is a relatively small rv park in Van Nuys, called Hollywood RV Park (formerly known as Balboa RV Park). The address is 7740 Balboa Blvd, Van Nuys, CA.

The regular sites are relatively small so you may have a problem with your 40 TH. There is an area at the rear of the park that can accommodate larger rigs. You could call ahead to see if you can fit.

There are a number of long term residents here who mainly work in the TV and film industry. This park is relatively close to the major film and TV studios.

We stayed there for 4 nights in March 2014. It was convienent to a lot of things we wanted to do.

One thing that's interesting due to the tight quarters, you drop your trailer at the office just after turning off the street. Folks who work there will then use a fork lift to maneuver your rig into it's site.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
You and Ed the Edge are talking about the same place. It's a state park but run by LA county.

I stayed there 2 nights in March 2014. It was a decent place. We liked it. It is near the end of LAX, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 mile south of the end of the runway. The takeoffs never bothered us when we were sleeping.

missourijan wrote:
There's also a Dockwieler rv park, not the state park, look on www.rvparkreviews.com, think it's under Playa del Rey? There's also Golden Shores in Long Beach. Valencia or Pomona are decent choices. If you have been there then you know LA is not rv friendly and parks are sparse.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

dedmiston
walker111 wrote:
Valencia looks really good. Mission Bay is over 100 bucks a night so that is out already!!!! With our conversion rate that is expensiveeeeeeeee!!!!!

Not to be a shill for our hosts, but there is a Camping World three exits down from Valencia travel village. It has a nice big beautiful American flag that you can see for miles away. If you like Camping World, this is a pretty nice store.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Valencia looks really good. Mission Bay is over 100 bucks a night so that is out already!!!! With our conversion rate that is expensiveeeeeeeee!!!!!

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
There's also a Dockwieler rv park, not the state park, look on www.rvparkreviews.com, think it's under Playa del Rey? There's also Golden Shores in Long Beach. Valencia or Pomona are decent choices. If you have been there then you know LA is not rv friendly and parks are sparse.

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
Dockwieler State Beach is at the end of LAX runway. I have never stayed there but have been by there many times on the bike path, it doesn't look too bad but could be noisy at times ;). It is fairly close to Universal and Anaheim.
HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for responses. I will look into all of them. I knew I was not going to find something really close for our day at Universal.

Alxcook.... thanks for the paddleboard info. For these trips with a toyhauler it is water fun and our bikes so the motorized toys stay home.

Anahiem RV was great for our Disney trip years back.

dedmiston
NMDriver2 wrote:
VAlencia Travel Village near the I-5 and 126 Junction in Castaic Junction.

Thatโ€™s pretty close to Universal and right next door to Six Flags.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Leo Carrillo State Park is a possibility. A sandy beach and a rocky beach. The Cisco Kidโ€™s trusty sidekick, and very generous donor of his land.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Not much near LA. I think this campground is probably the closest to Universal. Good luck!

Los Angeles / Pomona / Fairplex KOA

NMDriver2
Explorer
Explorer
VAlencia Travel Village near the I-5 and 126 Junction in Castaic Junction.
Turret Class traveler

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
An hour drive from L.A. you can forget about Oceanside, Mission Bay, and Chula Vista, many hours away. Same with Anaheim and Newport, that's going to be a couple of hours to get to Universal. You need to find something within L.A. County, like 30 or so miles from Universal, traffic is horrendous.

Try goodsamclub.com and find a park that way. There really isn't much in the area close by to Universal. I saw one in Walnut.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Alxcook
Explorer
Explorer
Anaheim RV park is nice and clean and close to everything in Anaheim.

A little spendy, but good for paddle boards is Newport Dunes RV park.

Oceanside RV park is nice, not really a good spot to paddle board.

Mission Bay RV park is a good option as well, you can paddle board in Mission bay all day long, close to all the SD fun stuff, zoo, Sea World and beach. I also think this is the best for bike riding options as well.

There is also Chula Vista RV, but I have never stayed there.