cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cool water in water heater

hitchikerman
Explorer
Explorer
On a recent trip in our fifthwheel the water in water heater was cool to not warm water at all. I did a ohm check on the element and got 10.9 to 11 Ohms. I also checked the water temp at the pressure relief and it was also cool to touch. Any idea's
10 REPLIES 10

hitchikerman
Explorer
Explorer
Well I finished the water heater problem today thanks wnjj that was the problem ...it was the thermostat...on the bad thermostat there is a small thin wire between the two sensors and there was a burn mark on that wire maybe that had something to do with it. Again thanks wnjj.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
If there is power coming out of the switch but not at the element, the only thing left is the thermostat/high temp cutoff. They are together as an assembly. The ECO has a reset button you can check first. Page 13 here shows the t-stat.

hitchikerman
Explorer
Explorer
Ok finally the weather stayed nice enough to try to tackle this problem with water heater. It's a Suburban SW6 DE and today I removed the switch and that's good.I disconnected the black and white wire to the heating element turn on the power at the switch and no power at the black and white wire. Any help would be appreciated

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
If yo were talking electric.maybe the element it covered with the white ****. take element out and clean it...might work.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
People, READ the OP's post. He stated he checked the temp at the Relief Valve. That rules out an outside shower or anything else from the water heater to the interior plumbing. FYI, you ALWAYS check the temp at the Pop OFF valve FIRST when checking for Water Heater heating problems. IF the water is NOT scalding hot out of the Pop Off valve the problem is at the Water heater, no where else. His OHM's are correct. Odds are he has a bad tstat. But, he needs to post Brand and Model number of the Water Heater. Doug

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the element get power? Seems like an open circuit. Check if you have a switch in the service area. Or possibly the thermostat (long shot).

fpresto
Explorer
Explorer
Very common if you have an outdoor shower and turn it off at the spray end leaving the hot and cold faucets on. That allows the hot and cold to mix.
USN Retired
2016 Tiffin Allegro 32 SA

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
What brand water heater? Does it operate on propane? Did you measure for voltage at the element?

Ohms sounds about right.
Multiple possibilities;
Inside switch (if you have one) bad or off
Bad 12 vdc to 120 vac interface relay
Outside switch (on the WH) bad or off
Tripped or bad hi temp cutout
Bad thermostat
Loose or bad wire
Suburban WHs have a junction box on back side. Loose wire connections have been reported there. Donโ€™t know about Atwood.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
by any chance is the by pass valve open .let hot and cold water mix.

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Does it work in the gas mode? Did you check to see if the breaker is tripped? Switch it off and back on and wait a while.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU