cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Maine...??

Jerseydevil
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about August trip to Moosehead Lake region for few days then to Acadia coast region..suggestions on campgrounds and must see/do...moose watching required..lol. thanks.
16 REPLIES 16

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Arcadia

It's Acadia-no "r". Easier to find without the "r" when searching but it will come up even with the "r" in it.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
If you have problems getting into one of the Arcadia campgrounds, check out Lamoine State Park across the bay from Arcadia. Dry camping, but bathrooms with hot showers. A big plus - you can have a lobster dinner (cooked or not) delivered to your site.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Bar Harbor KOA is pricey but has beautiful views of the most fantastic sunsets. They do breakfasts and lobster bakes regularly. Sites are on the small side and the ones directly on the water don't have full hook-ups but it's one of the best places we've ever stayed.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
We're public campground folks. Haven't been to ME for a few years, but when we last stayed this is where.

Lilly Bay State Park on Moosehead lake, no hookups, or at least it didn't have them when we went. Drove north up Lilly Bay rd to Baxter State Park Rd etc, saw a few moose along the road over the few days we were there, need to go at dawn and dusk. Great canoeing.

Lamoine SP just north of Mt Desert Island, again, no hookups.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Decay
Explorer
Explorer
At Acadia, be sure to check out Schoodic peninsula. Don't forget to stop for lobster rolls,didn't have a bad one out of a dozen or so roadside stands. We did seven weeks on just the coast, up to Lubec. Enjoy and be safe.
07 Dodge Dually Diesel 4wd
05 3319 Raptor
02 Lance 1121 with 96 Tracker/toad
84 VW Westie
08 Polaris RZR
02 HD FLHT Standard
05 KLR 650
1 Wife
2 Hounds

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
AlabamaTraveler wrote:
We were in Maine in 2014. Don't miss Cadillac Mountain and Bar Harbor.

Ditto we were there last August thru Labor Day.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
Maine is wonderful!

Up in the Rangeley area:

A nice spot on a lake: Cupsuptic CG

Near or on the coast:

In Acadia NP: Seawall CG

On the mainland just east of Ellsworth, but handy to Mount Desert Island, Bar Harbor and Acadia NP: Lamoine State Park

Way Downeast is a neat boondocking spot: Reversing Falls Park

Heading back south along the coast is: Camden Hills State Park

Just south of Rockland is one of our all-time favorite coastal campgrounds: Lobster Buoy Campsites

If you're planning a stop at LL Bean in Freeport, you can spend the night in the city parking lot area to the east of Main Street: LL Bean

There are several campgrounds in the Freeport area. We used to stay at Recompence Shores Campsites which is a great spot overlooking the ocean.

But it got a little too pricey for us so we started staying at Winslow Memorial Park

Have a great trip!

Ted H.
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
One other thing. Streets in downtown BH are quite narrow and can test your driving skills especially if you have a dually. Not impossible as we saw tour buses and tractor trailers in town , but am thinking they had their hands full. One time we actually pulled the mirrors in while in traffic.

Geesh almost forgot. Very good tho a bit pricey, ice cream joint on main street. We hit it up a couple times. Waistline loved it!!! ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We stay at Narrows Too outside of Acadia. Easy access to the park and Bar Harbor. 3 lobster pounds just outside the park.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Wardster
Explorer
Explorer
We fell in love with Belfast because it's not touristy. Might be a place you'll want to spend a day exploring.
2016 Northern Lite 8'11" Q Classic Special Edition
2003 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4 - Duramax/Allison

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
In Greenville, we stayed at the Moosehead Family Campground, in a 45' motorhome. The location was great, but our camp site was not very big or level.

We plan to go to Greenville again - we love Moosehead Lake, but will be staying at the Balsam Woods campground. While their we went up the west side of the lake to the Birches resort. They have a small number of camp sites that look nice. We rented a Pontoon boat and took it around the southern part of the lake. The grandkids loved it. They also have scenic flights out of the Birches.

One thing you don't want to miss is the Golden Road, which goes from Greenville over to the Baxter State park area. It's a long and very scenic dirt logging road. You might see a moose or two.

The Balsam Woods campground has some outfitters that can take you on various tours.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
You know, we just went to Acadia NP last summer and do you think I can remember the name of the CG we stayed at? Grrrrr. However, I do believe that hawkhill DID mention it and it was Timberland Acres just south of Ellsworth and before crossing the causeway to the park/island. It's about 15 miles to downtown BH and14 miles to ANP itself. Very large CG w/ lots of seasonals but lot of sites for visitors. Most are decent size and full hook up. All sites are pretty much wide open (no shade). BUT unlike the 2 KOA's in ANP, you're not on top of each other. Another plus is that the roads in the CG are paved. Pool was ave, but very cool when we were there. We found the best deal on firewood to be before Ellsworth on right side. Nice lady too. Next CG down the road towards ANP on left by airport, we drove thru there and LOTS of dust from inner roads. Tho we didn't get up to see the sunrise atop Cadillac Mtn, we did watch the sunset. Really cool. FWIW, we got diesel fuel at truck stop (Dysarts I think) in Bangor on/off 95 and was able to go whole week while there w/o getting more fuel and topped off there on way home. Enjoy. Oh, be prepared for a back up both ways at NH/ME line.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

hawkhill
Explorer
Explorer
I second Northwoods Outfitters in Greenville. We had a good moose safari with them. Young's Guide Service also has a great reputation. Be prepared to canoe to see Moose. We stayed at Balsam Woods in Abbot. I would stay there again. Very clean, nice pool,good on site store and if you like to ATV some great trails through that area. Sites were nice size and the folks in the office great. We actually had a site reserved at Baxter, but it was too tight for our rig. Very pretty park though as we spent some time out there hiking. Around Acadia, we like stay in Trenton at the Narrows Too or Timberland before you get to the Island. There are multiple campgrounds on the island as well, but a lot of them are tightly packed. If we had our children with us, we would have stayed on the island either at Bar Harbor/Oceanside KOA Campground or Bar Harbor Campground. If the weather permits depending on the time of year, whale watching out of Bar Harbor was interesting.
2015 RAM 3500 dually Deep Cherry Red Crystal 6.7 Cummins Aisin 6-Speed
2008 Carriage Cameo F35SB
Jeff "Loving DH"
Smokey & Purrshing, Our Ragdolls
Gordie, Springer Spaniel
True Blue, Aussie

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Northwoods Outfitters in Greenville offers moose tours of varying styles. If you decide to camp in Baxter as suggested make sure you are aware of the rules before you go. They are pretty strict about some things. Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor is a must-see. Make sure you go to Schoodic Point. Take a whale watch or a sail out of Bar Harbor. Enjoy the shops and restaurants. Go for a carriage ride and take the loop road in Acadia. Book a campground soon-many will already be booked.

Douglas Adams