cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Waxing 5th wheel

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
There's a lot of great advice on here about how to wax and have a nice looking 5th wheel nose but what about the sides and back of the 5th wheel? What is best for those areas?
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
19 REPLIES 19

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
how about the decals. what wax doesn't bother them? I have waxed mine once and keep it clean. parked in between me and neighbor so doesn't get full sun all the time.

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wax with UV protection. It's been keeping my rig looking like new for four years now!!
It takes a couple of days to get the job done but it keeps me busy...LOL!
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.

Krow
Explorer
Explorer
Alxcook wrote:
Use a polish, it will last longer and will leave less swirls and streaks, at least for Fiberglass.

A polish is an abrasive that is used to grind off microscopic hills to smooth out the surface - making it look shiny. A wax is a compound that is designed to cover the surface(ie protect).

Polishing alone will get your vehicle/rv very shiny looking but will not leave a protective coating. You need to follow us with a wax for that.

Having said all this.... some products are mis-named.

mekkerl
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you not use the Fiberglass wax that Collinite carries?
(assuming your RV is fiberglass)
I've never heard of it, but am willing to give it a try.
Luke & Carolyn
2012 Cedar Creek Silverback 35QB4
2013 Sierra 3500HD Duramax CC SRW SB 4x4
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 2 Gooseneck Mount

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Nomadac wrote:
I have been waxing all of my vehices, trailers, DP Motorhome and Classic cars for over 38 years. Best and easiest wax #845 Insulator Wax made by Collinite. www.collinite.com

I had never heard of this wax before. Very high reviews and can be used on RV's as well as cars and boats. Impressive.

EdTheEdge
Explorer
Explorer
I just used Gel-Gloss on my C. Started out doing it by hand. Did one side then bought a Ryobi oribatal buffer to finish up. Came out pretty good. Any opinions on the Gel-Gloss product?
HaRVey - 2013 Thor Chateau 22e

Nomadac
Explorer
Explorer
I have been waxing all of my vehices, trailers, DP Motorhome and Classic cars for over 38 years. Best and easiest wax #845 Insulator Wax made by Collinite. www.collinite.com
Arnie
2003 Travel Supreme MH
38KSO1 Cummins ISC 350HP
2004 Honda Pilot w/SMI Air Force One Brake Sys.
1963 Pontiac Grand Prix 20' Enclosed Car Trailer

justme
Explorer
Explorer
I use 303-- easy to apply and actually protects against UV.

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Those are two good products for fiberglass. However, it is my understanding that polish should be used first to prepare the surface and then apply the wax to protect the finish. You can check with Meguiars as they have a web site and will answer questions.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Per the manufacturer (Forest River), they say my 5th wheel (Salem Hemisphere GLX) has a Painted Fiberglass Front Cap and Gel Coated Fiberglass Exterior. Is the Meguiar's M6332 Flagship Premium Marine Wax followed by the Meguiar's M4516 Marine/RV Polish & Gloss Enhancer what is being suggested?

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
My 5vr and both truck campers had filon. I hand wax twice a year with paste wax and easily clean in between with a damp, not wet, microfiber cloth. When damp wiping I turn the cloth very frequently and change cloths often. On the 5vr I would go thru a couple dozen wash cloth size microfibers. The caps get waxed four times a year and I've never had a problem cleaning bugs off of them, even during Love Bug season in the Deep South.

I sold the first truck camper after 10 years of traveling back and forth across the country and it looked as good as the day we bought it.
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
cfd225 wrote:
I use Meguiar's Marine Cleaner and wax. I do it once a year, looks great all year. I did my 5er by hand once, now I use a polisher. Takes just as long, but my arms do not hurt as bad. LOL

LOL, I know how that feels!
I just waxed my TT for the first time. I did it over a period of 6 days!

cfd225
Explorer
Explorer
I use Meguiar's Marine Cleaner and wax. I do it once a year, looks great all year. I did my 5er by hand once, now I use a polisher. Takes just as long, but my arms do not hurt as bad. LOL
Jayco 2018 Seismic 4113
Chevy 3500 Diesel
Zena (Black Shepard), Tiller (Mastiff/Lab Mix)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
If your going to polish, do that first to remove small imperfections and swirl marks. Then follow up with wax to fill in and protect.
If you wax first and then polish, your just grinding the wax off and not leaving any protection.
On my RV, I just use Meguiares Cleaner-Wax and get great results.