cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

ge produxts be aware

xqzmepleze
Explorer
Explorer
AS and FYI GE appliance are no longer GE but Haier a Chinese conglomerate. We recently had to replace our sharp Microwave/convection oven so we opted for a "GE Profile". After 7 week of fighting with GE because it doesn't operate/heat to the 425* F temp on the units setting for baking.

Appliance Connections service was fantastic BUT the product GE Profile PVM9179 series microwave/convection oven as well as GE Customer Relations SUCK. The unit does NOT operate at correct temperature in the convection setting. You are supposed to be able to set the Temp to 425*F but the highest temp we could get was 350* F even after letting oven preheat and bake for 30 minutes. Working with local GE repair service and GE Techs we were told that even after replacing temperature sensor and control board that the program was designed to work this way. If you set temp to 425* the unit heats up to "set Temp" even though thermometers placed inside the unit reads 350.

Even though the GE brand is attached to these unit they are actually a Haier product made in our case Malaysia. When Haier brought GE in 2016 they obtained the right to use GE brand until 2056/ Also along with GE, Profile, Cafe, Monogram, and Hotpoint are now Haier

If your unit work as it's supposed You are Lucky.
40 REPLIES 40

paddykernahan
Explorer
Explorer
JKJavelin wrote:
I don't want to jinx myself, but our Maytag washer will be 39 years old this August and all I've done to it is replace one belt (about 30 years ago) and some little rubber hose piece (about 20 years ago) with 4 kids, two of them living here for quite a while longer than normal. In the meantime we're on our 3rd stove, and 3rd dishwasher (but 2 of those POS's were Maytags). Our Kenmore dryer is only a few years newer than the washer.

I replaced the same rubber hose piece. Caused leaking when washer filling. Known problem that needs replacing every 25 years. ๐Ÿ™‚
Lucky that is the only thing that needed repair.
Had a Norge gar dryer that was still working when we replaced it. It was 45 years old.

Atlee
Explorer
Explorer
The prime mover of going to residential style refrigerators over absorption refrigerators, to me, is the residential types are not as finicky about being out of level as the absorption ones.

Expyinflight wrote:
Reading all of this discussion about the poorly made appliances today, with myriad problems and short life span. All doomed to be replaced within a couple of years if you are lucky. Seems to be across the board...GE, Samsung, Maytag, LG, and others.

But what really puzzles me is....so many people are now demanding these same residential appliances in their RV.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
drsteve wrote:
Expyinflight wrote:
Reading all of this discussion about the poorly made appliances today, with myriad problems and short life span. All doomed to be replaced within a couple of years if you are lucky. Seems to be across the board...GE, Samsung, Maytag, LG, and others.

But what really puzzles me is....so many people are now demanding these same residential appliances in their RV.

It's due to the performance shortcomings of absorption fridges, not reliability.

And the fires.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Expyinflight wrote:

It's due to the performance shortcomings of absorption fridges, not reliability.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Expyinflight
Explorer
Explorer

2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Haier did buy GE appliances, but they are still made here in the good ol' USA at GE Appliance Park in Louisville KY. Right up the street from the Ford plant that makes the Escape.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
NJRVer wrote:
soren wrote:
1995Brave, as a builder, I often spent tens of thousands a year on kitchen and laundry appliances. I found that Samsung and Bosch were issue free. Whirlpool and Maytag were typically OK, and LG was a hard NO!. I once scored a pile of new stainless steel over the stove LG microwaves, for less than half price. I put one in my house to see if they were acceptable. A week later I removed it, and took a van load of them back to the store. The manager apologized, and told me, "If I was working that day, I would of never allowed you to leave with that stack of junk. I never sell LG to anybody, if I can help it".

I went through 2 Samsung refrigerators in 4 years. Junk! Never own another one.

I guess it just reflects the hit or miss nature of the industry anymore? I have bought many of them, with zero problems, and have new one in my own home, with a few years of trouble free service. The other issues is the whole concept of a "luxury" fridge. I refuse to buy into the whole $2500-4000 fridge game. I've bought dozens, and never paid more than about $1200, and that includes typical side by side units in Stainless, with ice and water on the door. I just wonder how many appliances fail since they are needlessly complicated and full of delicate features?

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
soren wrote:
1995Brave, as a builder, I often spent tens of thousands a year on kitchen and laundry appliances. I found that Samsung and Bosch were issue free. Whirlpool and Maytag were typically OK, and LG was a hard NO!. I once scored a pile of new stainless steel over the stove LG microwaves, for less than half price. I put one in my house to see if they were acceptable. A week later I removed it, and took a van load of them back to the store. The manager apologized, and told me, "If I was working that day, I would of never allowed you to leave with that stack of junk. I never sell LG to anybody, if I can help it".

I went through 2 Samsung refrigerators in 4 years. Junk! Never own another one.

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
General Electric sold the brand name for small appliances many (more than 30) years ago. If the brand has been sold to Haier, which is the largest consumer appliance company in China, that is probably a better place than some of the other places the brand has been in the past 30 years. Similarly for Westinghouse, Black and Decker, RCA, and so on. Even Zenith, the last "all American" consumer electronics brand toward the end of the 20th century got sold to a Korean company before the beginning of the 21st.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
ctilsie242 wrote:
time2roll wrote:

Now if the local petty criminals would stop trying to drill out the coin boxes :M

I am curious if any of them succeeded? I've seen the local meth-heads do their best to get in to those coin boxes, but from what I've seen, the worst they do is hose up the unit for everyone else, and they have not been able to retrieve anything valuable.

I still am surprised that 30-40 year old technology still foils today's druggies.

It still is a pain, I bet, to have those units fixed.
They actually drill the bolt that holds the slide mechanism. For service the bolt is accessed from inside the locked steel box.

Cost to repair is often close to $200 to do it myself, $400+ for actual service.

Removing the coin slide gives poor access to the coin tray. One used a stick and some bubble gum to snatch probably a dozen quarters. I think they usually give up when they realize the poor access and lack of actual money. Rarely is there more than $30 in each machine so big whoop... it is the repair that gets me and loss of use (inconvenience) for my tenants.

I believe I had one tenant that actually picked the service lock and was using the washer for free for his commercial detailing business. Ya get all kinds at some point on this journey.

Sad how bad some people are in this country,,vending machine at the local Superstore got carved open few times,so they got rid of it..
went to Japan last month for a visit and the honesty of locals is simply mind blowing,,with milions of vending machines loaded with booze and smokes no one breaks in and they all work too..
https://youtu.be/84I-G98emao

soren
Explorer
Explorer
Just wanted to say that all the hate for top loading HE washers is far from universal. I have about five years on a Maytag top loader without the agitator. The thing works flawless, and provides clean, remarkably dry clothes, that end up going into a matching dryer, that also does a great job.

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
ctilsie242 wrote:
time2roll wrote:

Now if the local petty criminals would stop trying to drill out the coin boxes :M

I am curious if any of them succeeded? I've seen the local meth-heads do their best to get in to those coin boxes, but from what I've seen, the worst they do is hose up the unit for everyone else, and they have not been able to retrieve anything valuable.

I still am surprised that 30-40 year old technology still foils today's druggies.

They actually drill the bolt that holds the slide mechanism. For service the bolt is accessed from inside the locked steel box.

Cost to repair is often close to $200 to do it myself, $400+ for actual service.

Removing the coin slide gives poor access to the coin tray. One used a stick and some bubble gum to snatch probably a dozen quarters. I think they usually give up when they realize the poor access and lack of actual money. Rarely is there more than $30 in each machine so big whoop... it is the repair that gets me and loss of use (inconvenience) for my tenants.

I believe I had one tenant that actually picked the service lock and was using the washer for free for his commercial detailing business. Ya get all kinds at some point on this journey.

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I saw one broken open a while back-it looked like someone had hit it with a sledgehammer.

My Kenmore is finally about done (entire internal structure is rotting after 40 years of use)...I will almost certainly replace it with a front-load Speed Queen.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote: