cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good Cummins mechanic in So Cal?

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Son in law has a 2014 CTD 3500 DRW with injector problems. 117,000 miles on the clock.

The truck was bought used about a year ago.

Dealer wants $4400 to put new injectors in. Not under warranty.

He lives in the Eastvale / Norco area. He works in Irvine.

Anybody know of a good shop to go to?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"
12 REPLIES 12

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
gbopp wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:
Dealer wants $4400 to put new injectors in. Not under warranty

Please, keep us updated on the outcome of this problem.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm calling BS on the dealer. The truck runs fine and nothing I have read about this particular code points to fuel injectors. The info I've read point to the sensor needing to be replaced.

Go to Colton Truck Terminal!!!!
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
Ron3rd wrote:

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm calling BS on the dealer. The truck runs fine and nothing I have read about this particular code points to fuel injectors. The info I've read point to the sensor needing to be replaced.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Me Again wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Please don't put dielectric grease on any of the injection sensors connections.
It WILL NOT make them conduct or work better and it absolutely will not cure a P0191 code.

Some reading:

https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm

That doesn't really tell me much and it doesn't contradict what I know to be true from working as an Av. Tech. and FAA Airman.
Using dielectric grease on a connection, especially low level millivolt signals like some sensors use, will cause failures.
I made a lot of money by simply removing that gunk from connections that some hack tech. smeared it in and making avionics systems serviceable again.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
ScottG wrote:
It WILL NOT make them conduct or work better and it absolutely will not cure a P0191 code.

Some reading:

https://www.w8ji.com/dielectric_grease_vs_conductive_grease.htm
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
If injectors are suspected then I would first try ultrasonic cleaning before replacing them. Hard to believe injectors could be worn out to the point of requiring replacement at 117k miles.

Regarding di-electric grease, it's possible for sensors to produce an out-of-range reading due to a poor electrical connection vs a truly faulty sensor. It costs nothing to pull the connector on the fuel pressure sensor, clean the connector and add a dab of di-electric grease. Start with the basics before throwing parts at it...

I would run away from that dealer as fast as possible....sounds like you goit a good recommendation for a shop.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
Colton Truck Terminal garage.

X2 one this one. Been there before. Professional all the way
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Here is a comment for another forum.

P0191 Fuel Rail Sensor

"Can you get your hands on some silicone Dielectric Grease? a slight dab goes a long way. I was guessing on the plug, but it's a good start. I don't suppose you have a display, like a CTS. or a scanner available to see what the rail pressure is do you? "

Don't have the truck here and don't know where the sensor is but guessing it's on the fuel rail. Don't have any way to check the fuel pressure with the tools I have here.
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is a comment for another forum.

P0191 Fuel Rail Sensor

"Can you get your hands on some silicone Dielectric Grease? a slight dab goes a long way. I was guessing on the plug, but it's a good start. I don't suppose you have a display, like a CTS. or a scanner available to see what the rail pressure is do you? "
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Good info, thanks.

Truck is throwing code P0191
Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor Circuit Range/Performance is the definition of the code. I'm calling BS on the dealer saying he needs new injectors.

Here's what I turned up:

What causes the P0191 code?
Faulty fuel pressure sensor
Faulty fuel pressure sensor circuit
Faulty fuel pressure sensor connector
Faulty fuel pressure regulator

(Doesn't mention anything about injectors)
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Colton Truck Terminal garage.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman