cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Repairing a busted up ac Shroud

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Just a tip to keep in mind in case your ac shroud gets damaged by a low hanging branch.

While on a trip we had a collision with a low hanging tree branch.

Busted the shroud into about a dozen pieces. Couldn't locate a replacement anywhere locally but since I had gathered up all the pieces I decided to try to repair it. Luckily the bottom part was only in two parts so the bolt holes were easy to keep aligned.

Never used fiberglass before. Got a fiberglass kit from Wally World for about $20 and started piecing the puzzle together and holding the seams with fiberglass from the inside. Actually found that I was missing a small piece on the top but just covered the hole. Must admit it looked pretty good from the outside after the work was done. Placed it back on the ac the next morning and, unless you were looking closely, you couldn't tell. Had planned to order a new one when we got back home but decided that I would leave it the way it is.
15 REPLIES 15

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
mikestock wrote:
Don't need one. My repaired one is good as new. I didn't do it as a temporary measure.

Good work....The fiberglass repair will make a stronger cover than OEM if done properly.

The kit had lots of fiberglass and lots of resin. Couldn't think of anything else to use it on, so it's tough now.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
mikestock wrote:
Don't need one. My repaired one is good as new. I didn't do it as a temporary measure.

Good work....The fiberglass repair will make a stronger cover than OEM if done properly.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
My Ski Doo snow machine was done that way.

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
turbojimmy wrote:
Me too. My definition of "temporary" is until the Eternabond tape fails, which hasn't happened yet.

Ha ha ha :B

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
You should post the make and model of the A/C.. Some folks have "Spares" as it were they wish to get rid of.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
For quick temporary shroud repairs, I've used Eterna-Bond tape with good results.

Me too. My definition of "temporary" is until the Eternabond tape fails, which hasn't happened yet.

We had a Nor'Easter come through a couple of weeks ago that knocked some branches down onto the rig. The front A/C shroud had several new holes as a result. Soon, it will be comprised of mostly Eternabond tape.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Had one shroud disintegrate while driving on an Interstate, in heavy traffic, and high winds, no shoulder to pull off until the next exit. We could not repair ours because it was scattered all over the Interstate. Big RV dealer at destination had one in stock, and Shop repair person came out to the campground and replaced it after hours that evening. Cost about $100 for the replacement, which was a stock item, and we paid the tech generously for his time.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
gbopp wrote:
newman fulltimer wrote:
Amazon has them

Some of us are too busy beating up Punxsutawney Phil and don't have time to order parts. ๐Ÿ™‚

X2 :M

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
newman fulltimer wrote:
Amazon has them

Some of us are too busy beating up Punxsutawney Phil and don't have time to order parts. ๐Ÿ™‚

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Amazing what someone can accomplish when necessity requires it.

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Amazon has them

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
For quick temporary shroud repairs, I've used Eterna-Bond tape with good results. For replacements, I like IconDirect.com.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate