Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air Pin Box: Which one to get???

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
I am thinking of getting an air-type pin box for my trailer to smooth out the ride and add control. Which one do you have / recommend? I am leaning toward the Reese 5th Airborne based on reviews I have seen so far. I have a Lippert right now.

thanks
Matt
25 REPLIES 25

JesLookin
Explorer
Explorer
We've been using Reese 5th Airborne for about 5 years. Does a good job of absorbing cracks/seams/bumps in the road.
2013 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L CTD, Crew Cab

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
I have the Reese Sidewinder Airborne and really like, I can hardly feel the trailer behind me when moving. I know it is there stopping and starting. I wanted air pin box but felt I need a swivel pinbox also with my sb Ram. It works like a champ.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.blueox.com/trailer-towing/super-ride/

More on NO Goose Neck Adapter

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

rhagfo
Explorer
Explorer
bowler1 wrote:
Also starting to consider a Mor ryde pin box. It may be a good option at half the price.

Matt

Based on you many post about a TV for a 5er, then issues with โ€œswayโ€ and a pin high condition.

First things get your 5er level, then get a good set of weights.
Weigh each axle with TV and 5er connected and then TV only. This will provide then necessary information on pin weight percentage.
It would also be helpful if you provide the make, model and year of you 5er so we know what you are working with.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
This looks like an innovative way to go. Cost is about the same as TrailAire, but could be less hassle because it does not need air. Anyone using this? http://www.blueox.com/trailer-towing/super-ride/

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything is going to be an improvement over stock nothing. I have had the Trail air & the 5th Airborne on what what amounts to identical trailers. Both Alpenlite 34RLRs.

Hands down the Trail air is better. It is quite easy to see why. There is far more possible kingpin plate vertical travel with the Trail air than the 5th Airborne. The Trail air hinges aft. The 5th Airborne hinges fwd. The distance from hinge to pin is much greater with the Trail air. The one nice thing about the 5th Airborne is that both the shock & airbag are located inside the pinbox & not exposed to the sun & UV.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Most air type pinboxes are fairly expensive. I ended up buying a Morryde rubber pinbox for a whole lot less $$ and I'm very happy with it. No more severe "chucking" and jerking. I won't own another FW without a Morryde box.

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Trailer Saver just introduced a new BD5 for the heavier trailers.
http://www.trailersaver.com/product/bd5-gf-air-ride-5th-wheel-hitch-for-gm-and-ford-trucks/

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

3_dog_nights
Explorer
Explorer
like TXiceman - My thought was the pin box stays with the trailer, the hitch can be moved from truck to truck, by slipping the pins out and drop in on the new trucks standard rails. So also chose to go with Hensley Trailer Saver-3 . Very Happy!
Bob & Lynn
2 Chihuahua's, Ella, Gracie

was-2013 Open Range 424RLS,06' Chevy 3500, dually, Duramax/Allison

also was - 2015 Winnebago Adventurer 37F, towing 2003 Jeep Wrangler

now - 2021 NoBo 19.5, 2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL (Talk about downsizing!)

iwski
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed a Reese Goose Box and have only driven around town for a test drive, but the product seems very solid and I haven't read about any bad experiences except for with trailers approaching the weight capacity of the pin box - apparently hard braking can cause the air pressure relief valve to partially deflate the airbag. Very excited about a clear truck when unhitched. Will report back after the first long haul.
2017 Dutchmen Denali 280LBS fifth wheel
2011 Ram 3500 6.7 dually

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am very pleased with my MorRyde pinbox, and if you search you will find many post.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I went the other way. I got a TrailerSaver TS3 air ride hitch. This way if we trade trailers, I still have the air ride in the truck

Same here - went with the BD3 and the ride is great

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

bowler1
Explorer
Explorer
Also starting to consider a Mor ryde pin box. It may be a good option at half the price.

Matt

TXiceman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I went the other way. I got a TrailerSaver TS3 air ride hitch. This way if we trade trailers, I still have the air ride in the truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.