cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oil absorbent mats?

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a Jayco 273 and about to load the toys for my first trip. What do you guys put underneath your toys to soak up an spillage/oil residue? I figure an ounce of prevention is better than trying to clean up a spill/stain.

Looking for something I can buy at local auto store/walmart cheaply and throw away after several uses.
20 REPLIES 20

Dirtclods
Explorer
Explorer
allcool ~ 2nd that! - ( varnish and carb problems ) Two strokes not so much of a problem.
AAA Motorcycle RV Plus

Chieftain15
Explorer
Explorer
Use a sheet of neoprene
If you're not doing it, somebody else is.

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
95jersey wrote:
TWZMYJP wrote:
allcool wrote:
I must be old school,,, How about fixing the leaks...?

I have to laugh, because this was my first thought as well, particularly when the OP mentions "... an ounce of prevention..."

No leaks but t have a carb that occasionally spits out gas through the overflow.

jfyi, This is what I've found over the years to prevent a fuel overflow spill on a carb'd engine that usually have a fuel petcock/shutoff. EFI engines no longer have this leaking problem.

Sometimes that petcock unfortunately gets old and doesn't shut fully any longer. They're are easy to rebuild with a few new o-rings/cleanup and get back to a tight positive shut off.

What I've found best, is to shut off fuel and drain the float bowl before storage in the TH, or anywhere.
Leaving this current day 'pump gas in a carb for weeks/months is a eventual recipe for varnish and carb problems. And leaking.

If draining the float bowl is not easy to do/accessible, then on a quad or dirt bike, if you stand it straight up on its rear wheels for a moment or 2, all fuel will drain out of the float bowl overflow tube emptying the bowl.

jmo
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

95jersey
Explorer
Explorer
TWZMYJP wrote:
allcool wrote:

I have to laugh, because this was my first thought as well, particularly when the OP mentions "... an ounce of prevention..."

No leaks but t have a carb that occasionally spits out gas through the overflow.

TWZMYJP
Explorer
Explorer
allcool wrote:

'18 Jayco Alante 31R

allcool
Explorer
Explorer
2007 WW FSW3200
RZRS k&t Turbo
2 LT500
1 Lt500 hybrid
F350 CC 6.7PS Platinum

busterja21
Explorer
Explorer
interlocking foam mats.
2019 CC F350
2017 Impact 312 Toyhauler
2014 Yamaha grizzly 700 (mine)
2013 Yamaha grizzly 550 (hers)
1998 Kawi Prairie 400 (boys)

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
Oil absorbent pads:

nice!
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

nayther
Explorer
Explorer
We use something like the runners in offices, carpet on top, rubber underneath, for refueling pads in the desert race pits (BLM rule). They're no slip and do absorb minor spills. Then roll up nicely for storage. Tarp folds up nicely. Cardboard not so much, suppose you could slide it under the trailer but wind/rain would not be good.
DIRT BIKES RULE

'12 Duramax CC short bed
2019 Wildcat Maxx 285RKX

dedmiston
Oil absorbent pads:

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Y-Guy
Hap Hazard wrote:
Way to technical guys.

First time I can think I've heard that cardboard is to technical 😉

Though your idea works too!

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

Hap_Hazard
Explorer
Explorer
Way to technical guys. Just go to your local thrift store and buy a rubber backed bath or kitchen mat (usually about 0.50 cents to a buck). Use until a replacement is needed and toss out. This helps a local charity as well.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
cardboard

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use some of those absorbent mats from O'Reilly's at home, I don't have any leaks that need them when the bikes are in the toyhauler. One of the advantages of avoiding H-D products. 🙂
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"