cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Exhaust Manifold Gasket Leak and click, click noise?

Robt65
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Foretravel Class a Diesel Pusher Nimbus with a ISL 400 Cummins Motor. An Exhaust Manifold Gasket leak was found when I was at the Foretravel Manufacturing Plant in Texas having some coach repairs. I am a newbie to the world of diesel pushers. I also have a "click" - "click" sounding noise coming from the engine. Could this noise possibly be related to that exhaust manifold leak? If so what possibly could this be? Is this a potential real big problem or nothing really to worry about? ISL Cummins 400 Motor has about 67,000 miles on it.

Thanks for any and all thoughts related to this topic.

Robt65
5 REPLIES 5

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
mccsix wrote:
Click click sound is typical for a gas engine manifold leak so I guess it's probably the same for diesel.

On my gas engine I heard various strange noises and ticking was one of them when my exhaust manifolds went bad. Twice.

Sometimes they would make noise on startup and then go away, other times they would show up after the engine was warm.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Not a difficult repair. I did just that on my ISL last year. Yes, soaked the manifold bolts with a good penetrating oil for a couple of days before attempting to pull then. Broke zero of them, and that was on a 2003 engine.

Probably good idea to take it to a Cummins dealer for manifold, gaskets and fasteners replacement.

Which way are you headed from Nacogdoches?
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

mccsix
Explorer
Explorer
Click click sound is typical for a gas engine manifold leak so I guess it's probably the same for diesel.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Richard is on the spot.
If your leak is large enough, your exhaust temps can be excessive and result in eng damage.

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of problems with not fixing the leak. It is theoretically possible for the leaking exhaust gasses to etch the exhaust port in the head, making head replacement necessary. Also the leaking exhaust gasses will contribute to lesser turbo performance, which contributes to poorer engine performance. The exhaust leak needs to be repaired as soon as possible.

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson