cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

1999 Ford F53 Steering Wheel & Clock Spring Issues

KevinDale
Explorer
Explorer
Hello all I am new to this forum, I was looking through articles a while back and saw where someone on here had the same issue and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

this all started because I need a new steering column I broke the steering wheel removing it and the clock spring as well I am confused as the term clock spring being used because I have no airbag it appears it is for the horn.My clock spring has four bolts coming off of it there is no spring there just contacts on the back side for the horn and I'm assuming turn signal to catch.

And The Main Issue I Have Is Needing A Steering Column.Man Finding Parts For This Thing Gives Me A Migrane, Spending More Time Looking Than Working.

Thanks
Kevin
4 REPLIES 4

Chum_lee
Explorer
Explorer
KevinDale wrote:
Hello all I am new to this forum, I was looking through articles a while back and saw where someone on here had the same issue and was wondering if anyone could help me out.

this all started because I need a new steering column I broke the steering wheel removing it and the clock spring as well I am confused as the term clock spring being used because I have no airbag it appears it is for the horn.My clock spring has four bolts coming off of it there is no spring there just contacts on the back side for the horn and I'm assuming turn signal to catch.

And The Main Issue I Have Is Needing A Steering Column.Man Finding Parts For This Thing Gives Me A Migrane, Spending More Time Looking Than Working.

Thanks
Kevin

The Ford F53 is the most popular class A gasser RV chassis out there. At the age of yours, the Ford Dealers may not be able to help you with everything, but, factory parts, especially steering/suspension have lots of commonality with other Ford models and years. Have you tried a Ford truck dealer? If they can't help you, there are hundreds of salvage yards out there that can if you are willing to buy used parts. Google is your friend. I'm sure you could buy a complete used steering column if you look in the right place.

Chum lee

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
For its resemblance to the spring that winds up in an old Big Ben alarm clock, grandparent's mantlepiece clock...
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to Tech Issues forum from DIY.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
The clock spring is there to pass current from any switches on the steering wheel down the column as the wheel turns several times from lock to lock.