cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ford F150 is going Powerstroke Diesel

vacuumbed
Explorer
Explorer
It's going to be a V6, like the one in the 1500 Ram.

Link
167 REPLIES 167

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here's a crude fuel economy video of the new 3.0PSD.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
Yes, I use GasBuddy. But, it doesn't tell me the octane of the different grades of gas. Hence, the query in the forum, with very specific 87-octane Regular pricing.

Regular is 87 with the exception of some high elevation locations.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Gas Buddy lists pricing for Regular, Midgrade, Premium, Diesel and E85. Now you do have to select what type/grade fuel you want pricing on though.

My area Diesel is running from $3.35 @ Flying-J to $2.89 @ Costco. Gas is running $2.79/$3.39 @ Speedway to $2.61/$2.98 @ Costco.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I use GasBuddy. But, it doesn't tell me the octane of the different grades of gas. Hence, the query in the forum, with very specific 87-octane Regular pricing.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Last trip here was my fuelings. Prices have come up some in the two weeks since returning from this run.

Sidney OH at 2.64 a gallon. Then
St Louis MO at 2.59
Springfield MO 2.57
Yukon OK 2.54
Amarillo TX 2.65
Alamogordo NM 2.83
Tucson AZ 2.79 for delivery. Gas buddy & fuel on gps app help.
AZ Phoenix. 2.69
AZ State line 2.99
I never bought fuel in Cali but mostly saw 3.69 & as high as 4.55!
NV Las Vegas 3.09
UT St George. 2.69
UT Salt Lake. 3.05
WY Cheyenne 2.88
KS Salina. 2.85
MO St Louis. 2.65

Itโ€™s unfortunate for the good citizens of PA & CA. They voted in the wrong gov and have ideologically taxed diesel. Donโ€™t know what I would do in one of those states. I guess either buy a gas truck or move.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
There's currently about a $.20 spread between regular unleaded and diesel in my area and that's pretty typical. Gas does run higher here than it does in most of the country.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Michigan regular (87) is in the $2.80-.90 range and diesel around $3.30.

You can always use the gas buddy app to get an idea about prices in other areas.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Currently in Phoenix, AZ: Regular: 2.859, Diesel: 2.809. More typically, diesel fuel is about 30 cents more than regular.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
For all of you posting that diesel fuel is more expensive than gas, I would like some info.

The price difference varies all across the country because of taxes, distance and whatever. I have seen diesel for less than regular gasoline to much more. Only you can figure the costs based on where you will be buying fuel, and that can change overnight.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Right up the road from me in Oregon it's
Reg $3.19
Mid $3.39
Pre $3.49
Diesel $3.29

I'm curious as to when the price between the 3 grades of gas jump more than .10. It used to only .10 more for each upgrade.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
For all of you posting that diesel fuel is more expensive than gas, I would like some info.

In Colorado, we have 85 octane (Regular), 87 octane (Midgrade), and 91 octane (Premium). My F150 Owner's Manual says to run 87 octane, which costs the same as diesel (about $0.30 more than 85 octane).

For the rest of the country who has 87 octane "Regular" gas, is there the $0.30 gap between gas and diesel? Do you have 3 grades of gasoline? I don't travel east much, so I don't know what your gas selections consist of.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
avoidcrowds wrote:
Wow! Lots of opinions, fair amount of fact, and definitely some bias.

Basis for my use-based opinions: I had a 2014 Grand Cherokee 3.0 Ecodiesel, with 3.42 rear-end. Not towing, it would get 30 mpg highway (I live in Colorado). Towing my 3,500lb hardsided folding TrailManor (same profile as a high-wall popup), I got 18 - 21 mpg. Loved it! Towed up I-70, both Colorado and Utah hills, at 65 mph, no problem.

Got a full-size, 5,600lb trailer. The Ecodiesel bogged-down on anything greater than a 5% grade. 420ft/lbs torque got it going, but 240hp couldn't keep it going up hills, or quickly accelerate for passing.

Got rid of the Ecodiesel last Thanksgiving, and got an F150 Ecoboost. Same torque, half-again more horsepower. Have not towed in the mtns, but the hills I have towed on, the Ecoboost pulls better than the Ecodiesel. And, I can pass quickly with the Ecoboost.

As to the naysayers about cost of the diesel engine, my cost differential was paid-off at 75,000 miles. I paid attention, as I was curious, and heard many (mis-state) that the differential would never be recovered. This is with oil changes included. And, I had no repair bills in the 155,000 miles I drove that before trading it.

Depending on the rear-end, I just don't see a 3.0 diesel being a good engine for a truck that will be towing anything heavier than about 4,000 lbs, based on my experience. There is not enough horsepower to keep the rig rolling up the steeper hills. Living and camping in Colorado, those hills are a fact of life.

Those of you with Ecodiesel pickups: it doesn't seem like a 3.55 rear-end would make that much difference from a 3.42, but it sure seems to. I hear many people very happy with their Ecodiesel pickups, but I don't know if they tow I-70 or Hwy 285 often. To me, those are the best tests for engine/towing capability.

The pickups only came with the 3.55 (standard) or the 3.92 as an option. A 3.42 final gear in the Jeep is what was causing your issues towing. I have towed my boat down to Knoxville and all around the mountains without any issues at all. But I'm running the 3.92's also. You need to pick the correct gear for the job you want the vehicle to preform along with the area it will be most used in. Passing towing my 6800# boat has never been an issue at all. But than a boat is a lot more aerodynamic than a RV too. Thanks for the report!

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
If so not intentionally. It was in reference to experience towing with the motor. The replacement of said motor was already covered on this forum.

Jerimiah Probably itโ€™s not a Cummins or even an HD. I didnโ€™t buy the truck for transporting Airstreams TTs & boats, just fell into shortly after purchase and living near the Airstream plant with having OTR experience. But for that matter many actual HDs expire for one reason or another prior to that.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thatโ€™s awesome...371 k is way more than most people will put on an ED.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~