cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Trailer Width - Pros and Cons

MisterCipher
Explorer
Explorer
I'm shopping for a travel trailer that I can tow with the Toyota Highlander which just has standard side mirrors. I'm seeing widths from 90 inches to 102 inches. I'm concerned if I go too wide I'll need to use side mirror extenders which I'd prefer to avoid.

Are there advantages to narrower trailers? Or should I try to get the widest possible to maximize interior space?
27 REPLIES 27

Boomerweps
Explorer
Explorer
For towing safely, I always make sure I can see straight down the trailer sides. So that means mirror extensions for me. The slip over ones are great if you can find them for your model. They are usually expensive IMHO.
For my recent TT purchase, I bought the only extension mirrors I could find quickly for my Explorer after I measured and found the outer edge of my mirrors was the same width as the new trailer would be.They did not work well because they were designed to strap on fully rectangular mirrors and my mirror bottoms have an angle to them. I could use the driver's side but the right side would not adjust right. And the vibration was bad. Got the new trailer home. I bought those mirrors from Walmart's auto section. Thought I would take a heat gun to the bracket and form it to my mirror housing shape. THEN I found these suction cup mount ones in walmart's RV aisle, sold on eBay from the U.K. tested at over 100mph to hold. Returned the original extensions. There is a twist knob to increase the holding auction. Now I can use my power mirror function to adjust the new extensions.
2019 Wolf Pup 16 BHS Limited, axle flipped
2019 F150 4x4 SCrew SB STX 5.0 3.55 factory tow package, 7000#GVWR, 1990 CC Tow mirrors, ITBC, SumoSprings,

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
The stock mirrors on my F-150 allowed me to see behind the TT, just not too well.

The extended mirrors allow my to see closer behind me. However, nothing short of a rear mounted camera will fill in the blind spot directly behind the TT.

It is still my opinion that you choose a TT based on floor plan. Other problems can be resolved,
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
With something like a Highlander trailer wind resistance is a significant issue at highway speeds. A narrower and more aerodynamic trailer would be an advantage.
Craig

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am not one of those people who says "you need a bigger truck, you need a fancier hitch, you need X, you need Y."

But you DO need towing mirrors. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish. When you are trying to change lanes in dense and fast urban traffic (try 50 mph bumper to bumper LA freeways), you have to be able to gauge your opening, especially when moving right.

I use clip on mirrors. They are good enough. After-market extension mirrors are better than clip ons -- less vibration.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
There are lots of decent mirror extensions. If you want to see how much of a difference a foot can make in a trailer, google a Jayco 174 AND an Aspen Trail 1700BH. Irrespective of ones opinion of the companies, look at space differences. They are the same floorplan but the Aspen Trail is one foot wider. You go from like 29 inch bunks to a 41 inch bottom bunk. You go from a small two person dinette to a decent sized four person. You get quite a bit more storage at one end of the bed also. That difference is well worth the slight hassle of mirror extensions.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Frontal area limits will make you upgrade the tow vehicle regardless of width. Iโ€™d be hard pressed to attempt a 3500 pound low height pup with a highlander.

my Highlander with towing package towed a 3500 lb. TT just fine. contrary to some here, you don't need a F550 to do it.
and my my strap on mirrors were closer to $40 and I first bought one, put it on took it for a drive to see if it vibrated too much. it was fine so I went back and bought the second one.
bumpy

I guess you do not remember my 5.3 v8 trailblazer with same guts as any half ton could not handle the full height frontal narrow width 3400 empty 5000 loader hybrid.

whoa, I am talking about a 3500 lb. TT, not a 5,000 lb one, but my highlander is rated to tow 5,000.
bumpy

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
PAThwacker wrote:
Frontal area limits will make you upgrade the tow vehicle regardless of width. Iโ€™d be hard pressed to attempt a 3500 pound low height pup with a highlander.

my Highlander with towing package towed a 3500 lb. TT just fine. contrary to some here, you don't need a F550 to do it.
and my my strap on mirrors were closer to $40 and I first bought one, put it on took it for a drive to see if it vibrated too much. it was fine so I went back and bought the second one.
bumpy

I guess you do not remember my 5.3 v8 trailblazer with same guts as any half ton could not handle the full height frontal narrow width 3400 empty 5000 loader hybrid.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
donn0128 wrote:
If you dont want mirror extensions, then be prepared either for tickets, or no trailer. You absolutely MUST have a clear view behind you. It is the law afterall. So your choice is pretty clear.

deltabravo wrote:
Show us this law?

I've towed 50,000 miles transporting RVs to dealers from factories and can't see behind me with my tow mirrors, and no one has ever ticketed me.

Out of curiosity I Googled this topic and as usual came up with an endless list of references, including this one that does indicate that in many Canadian provinces and US states mirrors that allow a clear view of the highway ~ 200' to the rear is required. I know for a fact that the stock electric mirrors on my Silverado sure don't extend out far enough to see that far back along the highway when I'm towing so I'm quite happy to be using a set of CIPA slip on mirrors that do. ๐Ÿ™‚

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:

Bumpyroad wrote:

Same old tired response :S ... no one has suggested the OP needs an F550 to tow his hybrid, rather a few have just pointed out how limited is Highlander is for towing. Nothing more, nothing less. :R

The Highlander is also a relatively narrow vehicle so towing mirrors IMO are highly recommended regardless of the width of the trailer the OP is towing.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
PAThwacker wrote:

bumpy

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:
If you dont want mirror extensions, then be prepared either for tickets, or no trailer. You absolutely MUST have a clear view behind you. It is the law afterall. So your choice is pretty clear.

Show us this law?

I've towed 50,000 miles transporting RVs to dealers from factories and can't see behind me with my tow mirrors, and no one has ever ticketed me.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
rbpru wrote:
Size means nothing, Floor plan is everything. Floor plan remains when all else is forgotten or accepted.

In my opinion you can never have a too big or a too adjustable set of mirrors.

My after market extendable mirrors make my F-150 look like Dumbo the elephant going down the road. I would not trade them, they are worth a fortune when backing up.

Safe travels

This^^^ YOu are mixing unrelated criteria. Larger mirrors provide more viewing area regardless of your trailer width.
A wider trailer will provide more interior space regardless of your mirror size.
Don't overthink or over analyze. I will always want maximum interior space and maximum viewing area.
There is no substitute for a good mirrors
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

FrankShore
Explorer
Explorer
Minimum is 8'
2014 F-250
2014 Minnie Winnie 2351DKS (Traded In-Burnout-Use A Surge Protector!)
2015 Arctic Fox 22G (Great Trailer But Heavy - Traded In)
2018 Lance 1685 w/ Solar & 4 Seasons Package
1999 Beneteau 461 Oceanis Yacht
En Norski i en Fransk bรฅt - Dette mรฅ jeg se!

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Size means nothing, Floor plan is everything. Floor plan remains when all else is forgotten or accepted.

In my opinion you can never have a too big or a too adjustable set of mirrors.

My after market extendable mirrors make my F-150 look like Dumbo the elephant going down the road. I would not trade them, they are worth a fortune when backing up.

Safe travels
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.