cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Top 5 Options

Raider_Battalio
Explorer
Explorer
I'm new here. My wife and I are looking to buy our first trailer (likely buying new). We have narrowed down the floorplan, length, and major features that we want. However, one of the things I'm trying to figure out is what are the top 5 options I should make sure to have (like wired for solar, dual batteries, etc.).

I've searched for articles and forums but can't seem to find anything. I would appreciate your opinions.
48 REPLIES 48

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Regarding the WD hitch, that is something you will want if the TT is over about 3000 lb.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Explorer II
Explorer II
The bigger the waste tanks the more weight when they are full. Watch your payload and RAWR on this one. Remember, everything you add will increase weight.

The major things for us are usable, comfortable toilet, large shower, lots of counter space in the kitchen and a comfortable walk around bed that is easy to make in the morning.

We had an outdoor kitchen and didn't use it as much as we thought we would.
No need for solar or a second battery if you do not plan on boondocking for days. We have overnighted in parking lots a few times and our single 110AH battery served us well.

If we still had a TT a power jack would be a must have.

Our power awning is horrible in the wind, very flimsy. Our manual awning in a previous TT was sturdy and adjustable. The one we have now is a piece of poo.

I like the warm lighting our interior LED lights provide over the incandescent bulbs it came with. We do not boondock but the LED lighting is a nice upgrade.

Enjoy you adventure
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Even if the ceiling is flat and roof has an arch it won't pool around the AC unit as it did on my son's old Rockwood.

Two things he said he would never buy again. Flat roof and foam sandwich floor.

Raider_Battalio
Explorer
Explorer
Raider Battalion wrote:
Maybe I should ask it slightly differently. What are the top 5 options you have found most useful?

Going back to my original question, I thought I would summarize what you all told me that you found most useful. First, though, I would like to thank ALL of you for input! Whether you answered my specific question or not, I found your commentary very helpful. When we went to a dealership yesterday I was looking at the rigs differently. On to my summary...

All of the information that you provided basically broke down into 3 categories: 1) Things to look for in the construction of the rig. 2) Options you have found most useful (spoiler alert: it was more than 5). 3.) Accessories/necessities to buy after the fact.

I have to say that some of the things you found most useful were somewhat of a surprise to me. Probably the most surprising was the upgraded tires! I'm going to give some feedback in each of the 3 categories.

1) Things to look for in the construction of the rig.
Quality and construction techniques really stood out for me in this area. Here are a few of those things:
  • Arched/walkable roof - This makes sense because water will not be able to pool and cause leaks and it will make the interior feel bigger. Also, I may need to do repairs up there.
  • Subfloor material - I want something that is going to be durable
  • Insulation - This took on several terms, 4 season package, good insulation, enclosed underbelly. I really want something that I can use in whatever time of year.
  • Fresh water/Waste tank size - If we want to boondock, this will be important. I need some help here to figure out what a good size for each will be. I know it will depend on how long we'll be out and our personal habits. But an average would be nice.

2) Options you have found most useful (The fun part).
There were 35 different things that people said they found most useful. There were several ties:
  1. Power tongue jack - By far the most important item recommended. When I saw them at the dealer, I had made up my mind that this is a must have.
  2. Tied for 2nd - Upgraded/additional vent fans. Wow! I looked at what is provided and they are cheap!; EMS - Hadn't thought about bad electricity in a campground.; Upgraded tires - Makes sense but a surprise to me.
  3. Leveling system - Right or wrong I lumped all the levelers into this one. Anderson, Auto-leveling, and power stabilizers.
  4. Vent covers
  5. Also a tie in this category; Largest AC unit or a 2nd unit - This will be important if we are camping in the heat.; Power awning - Someone made a good point about what a pain a manual crank would be to use everytime you left the trailer.
  6. Also a tie here; Additional battery(ies); Backup camera - I'm experienced but I think this is a necessity; Slide out toppers; Solar or Pre-wired - I'm comfortable with nothing less than 20 Amp pre-wire; Weight distributing hitch - This could be something to buy later.

Here are some other things that you provided that I'm considering:
  • Extended warranty
  • Outside kitchen - we really like this
  • Big fridge

3.) Accessories/necessities to buy after the fact.
  • Decent sewer hose system - this is understandable. No need to make a mess of things.
  • Jack and lug wrench for the trailer
  • Good chocks
  • Upgraded mattress or mattress topper
  • RV GPS - After reading about this, it seems pretty important
  • Space heater
  • Window blinds - When we were at the dealer yesterday I was actually looking for these

My wife and I have been discussing many of the things that you all brought up and we will need to decide what is most important to us. One thing I have to say though is that I feel smarter (somewhat) about this and we have a starting point.

I wanted to summarize this, mostly to gather my thoughts about what you all had said, but also for others that may be in the same situation and reading this forum.

Thanks again!

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Raider Battalion wrote:
You really got me thinking about the quality of the product. I started looking for reviews on Forest River (The brand we are considering) and now I'm not sure I want to buy that brand. We are going to look for the same floorplan by a different maker.
Man, that's a whole 'nuther discussion for 'nuther day... 😞

A few years back we had a TT that got taken back and replaced by the manufacturer due to a serious quality issue. That should never happen. Manufacturers could be doing much better but they don't care. There's an endless number of things that can, and do, have issues such as frames, plumbing, electrical, cabinetry, appliance, furniture, caulking (leaks), tires and much more...

Quality is definitely something that should be considered and good for you to now be thinking about it before you buy. Since you're on the west coast, you might consider one of the Northwoods products (Nash, OutdoorsRV & Artic Fox). Quality is above average, made in OR (no Amish craftsmanship) and one of the few independent manufacturers still around. Choose wisely!

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Well, it seems to me that most of what we call options now days actually come standard on many trailers now..........But for me the nicest things trailer have or have available now is:
1. Power tongue jack.
2. Power awning....my bride lives to push that button.
3. Solar Pre-Wire. My rig came with a real stout 8ga. wire pre-wire for solar. I know some come with a pretty wimpy Solar Pre-Wire and probably isn't really worth the $$$, but mine came with real good pre-wire.
4. 4 season package. Every manufacture offers some kind of 4 season package and I am sure there are some that are better than others. But it is real nice to have the holding tanks tucked, heated and protected.
5. LED Lights. For those of us that boon dock oruse un-improved or campgrounds with limited facilities the LED lights preserve the battery capacity and offer stunning lighting.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Raider Battalion wrote:
You really got me thinking about the quality of the product. I started looking for reviews on Forest River (The brand we are considering) and now I'm not sure I want to buy that brand. We are going to look for the same floorplan by a different maker.

They all have assembly-related issues, in large part because of the way the industry is run. Assembly workers are paid piece rate and quality control consists of the dealer inspecting each unit and fixing problems before final delivery.

Note too that Forest River is a huge company that produces many brands. They, along with Keystone RV and Thor Industries, make most of what you see on dealer lots.

No matter what brand you settle on, your best bet is to inspect the unit you want to buy closely before you sign anything, and get the dealer to fix any issues. Fill it with water and check the plumbing for leaks, plug it in and run the AC, furnace, WH, stove, etc. Run the slide(s) in and out. If it moves or lights up, make sure it works.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
As you are new to this, learn all you can about payload and where it comes from and what takes it away. Along the weigh (hah), also learn about dry weight, gross weight, cargo capacity, axle ratings and all the associated acronyms.
As you look at various campers, you will be able to tell fairly quickly how they match up to your truck.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
azrving wrote:
Some just like to nitpic. Whiny type.

OP wrote - "I'm new here. My wife and I are looking to buy our first trailer (likely buying new). We have narrowed down the floorplan, length, and major features that we want. However, one of the things I'm trying to figure out is what are the top 5 options I should make sure to have (like wired for solar, dual batteries, etc.)"

I'm one of those few who actually answered his question with a list of my 5 personal favourite OPTIONS, just as the OP asked for ... go figure. :S
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Kevinwa
Explorer
Explorer
Our travel trailer is a mini lite by forest river. I haven’t found any huge issues with the build quality yet. We have had it four years now and are still very satisfied. There are some things we dislike, but they aren’t manufacturing issues, mostly issues that stem from trying to find a camper light enough to tow with my F150.

The biggest thing I currently dislike about our camper is small black and grey tank size. So for me that is the first thing I look for when browsing g new campers. Full service stalls in our area are rare, and man does my little family of four poop lots. I can and do use the bathroom facilities at the campground, but if I lugged my home on wheels 600 miles I sure would prefer to use my own bathroom. That isn’t important to everyone, and I know peop,e that only use the toilet for night time emergencies and have never used the shower.

And as mentioned before, give the toilet a test sit, some are truly terrible.

Raider_Battalio
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
My top priority would be the construction of the unit. Have a look at how the walls, roof, and floor are constructed and materials used. Solar, batteries, jacks, mattresses, etc can all be easily added or upgraded in the future. It's not so easy to upgrade the construction of a trailer.

Sometimes a perfect looking trailer is constructed with some of the poorest materials. It would suck to find what you think is the perfect trailer only to find that it struggles to maintain a comfortable temperature in any season due to low quality materials. Or find soft spots years later due to the ultra cheap construction of the floor.

A lot of this information you can find in brochures and on websites, but sometimes you have to make calls to the manufacturer. You'll find a few standouts that are using better materials and techniques that are above standard.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Yes! Just bought a new Silverado 1500 with the 6.2 and max tow package in preparation. I figured 11,900 would be enough to tow whatever we wanted either now or future.

I have the same truck with a 10,900 tow rating...5.3 engine .
All these options that people like, have one thing in common, weight.
Using the above truck as your TV , you will run out of payload before you climb to that TR of 11,900 .

I tow with a 2500 Series Burb. Why? 2451 pounds of payload.
So?
I bring 40 to 80 gallons of extra water boondocking. That’s 450 on hitch, 900 in water, generator, extra gear. Ect.
Half ton truck can’t even stop itself with a 700lb quad in the bed.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Your trailer comes with everything the average family need to camp. Then you have to decide what kind of camping you want to do.

We rarely boondock so the two day life span of our battery is all we need for a quick overnight without power.

We rarely have full hook-ups, so the extended sewer slinky I bought, sits unopened. Water is a nice but not necessary option. I always have at least 2/3 of a tank of water.

Only you know how and where you will camp over time.

Good luck
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

flguppie
Explorer
Explorer
Arched roof, walkable roof, solid floor decking (not styrofoam sandwich...aka lite flooring), ducted air and heat ....and with our small 21’ tt....doors to bedroom (blocks out sound from ac & heater)
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2014 KZSpree Connect 220rbk
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow