cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

auto park

firedan13
Explorer
Explorer
hello all i have 94 winnie and cannot find new brake shoe for the auto park anybody know where or have a part number, oh it p30 chassis thanks
15 REPLIES 15

kilroy_was_here
Explorer
Explorer
It's not an easy job but if you have the tools and a place to work and the knowhow it can be done. Yes drop the driveshaft and pull the brake drum off the transmission. Then it just looks like a regular brake shoe set up. I replaced the shoes, pins, springs, and adjuster while I was there. That was the easy part,
the control unit that makes all this work is the problem with auto-park systems.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
.BRAZELSVRV.COM HAVE UP GREADES I think people who try upgrades on there own my be looking for real trouble. Can't understand why anybody would not ask a pro for a real safe fix after all locking up brakes can't be fun or safe while your driving.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
kilroy was here wrote:
I have had to replace the shoes on my 1998 Itasca with the autopark system after a RGS failed. I used #449 brake best select shoes from I think autozone. I just told the counter guy 449 and he knew what I needed. They fit great, about the only thing in the autopark system that does. I have done away with most of this system to get something that is safe to travel with.
How difficult a job was it to change the shoes? I assume you had to remove the driveshaft and rear cover to even inspect the brake shoes.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
OK Gjac, Thank you for the info!!!
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

kilroy_was_here
Explorer
Explorer
I have had to replace the shoes on my 1998 Itasca with the autopark system after a RGS failed. I used #449 brake best select shoes from I think autozone. I just told the counter guy 449 and he knew what I needed. They fit great, about the only thing in the autopark system that does. I have done away with most of this system to get something that is safe to travel with.

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
If you need help www.BRAZELSVRV.COM HAVE UP GREADES FOR system number 877-786-1576 for tec assistance provided. they help my brother when hes was alive. they have upgrades for auto park brake.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
olfarmer wrote:
Gjac, what did it do when it let go at 60 mph? Were you able to drive it to a safe place to work on it? I am asking because I have a 2001 with auto park and have never had trouble with it but I know it can cause big problems and I would like to know what to expect if it fails. I do keep a spare green switch and watch the fluid level pretty closely.

Ed
I was able to drive it off the hiway to a store parking lot. I then had to adjust the parking brake off from underneath the MH. Twice I was able to just replace the green switch and be on my way after adding some transmission fluid to the reservoir. The auto park system can be problematic, Carry the grey switch with you also. That went on me once, it shows the auto park is on when it is not.

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Gjac, what did it do when it let go at 60 mph? Were you able to drive it to a safe place to work on it? I am asking because I have a 2001 with auto park and have never had trouble with it but I know it can cause big problems and I would like to know what to expect if it fails. I do keep a spare green switch and watch the fluid level pretty closely.

Ed
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
When that green switch leaks the brakes are applied, and when it lets go at 60 mpg it can be quite unnerving. Then you have to drive off the hiway to get to a safe place to disengage the brake. It is only two small shoes applying pressure to stop a 16,000 lb MH vs 8 shoes or pads in a panic stop using your regular brakes. After going through 3 green switch failures I can see how these brake shoes can wear thin.

hmdemarzino
Explorer
Explorer
magicbus wrote:
Interesting that a brake shoe that never has to stop a moving vehicle would need replacing. I guess it could develop a stress crack. I had a P30 in the 90โ€™s and at the MV inspection they applied the emergency brake pedal. I had never used it and apparently the cable had corroded and it froze locking the drive shaft (auto park) brake. I could move it to my mechanicโ€™s shop, but I did need new shoes after I got there!

Dave

Yeah I'm guessing it's always the autopark being stuck that makes everyone replace, which is currently my problem. I ended up driving with it not knowing it was stuck on.

magicbus
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting that a brake shoe that never has to stop a moving vehicle would need replacing. I guess it could develop a stress crack. I had a P30 in the 90โ€™s and at the MV inspection they applied the emergency brake pedal. I had never used it and apparently the cable had corroded and it froze locking the drive shaft (auto park) brake. I could move it to my mechanicโ€™s shop, but I did need new shoes after I got there!

Dave
Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

hmdemarzino
Explorer
Explorer
firedan13 wrote:
thanks a lot guys, that was the gm part and napa has them part#UP10823PB $40 verses $95

I purchased those 2 but every system is telling me they wont fit so now im about to purchase some for $80 on amazon acdelco 171-772 . My autopark has to get fixed and i want to be prepared with brake shoes in case they need to be replaced.

I have a 1995 fleetwood southwind 33' I wish i knew the exact sizing i need

firedan13
Explorer
Explorer
thanks a lot guys, that was the gm part and napa has them part#UP10823PB $40 verses $95

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard they are available as a generic brake part from NAPA for about $25, unfortunately I don't have the part number off hand.