Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Heading to Allegheny National Forest

Bevteacher4
Explorer
Explorer
Hello!
I have a 4 week trip, in September, planned from Indiana to Golden Hill State Park in New York and back to Indiana. Have campsites reserved at Mohican State Park in Ohio, Tionesta Lake, in Pennsylvania, just on the southern edge of Allegheny NF, then on to Golden Hill State Park on the shore of Lake Ontario, and then to Red Bridge Recreation Area in Allegheny NF and then back to Mohican, and home to Indiana.
I am a widow and camp by myself.
Would love any comments on how hard the towing (steep incline and down hills) might be through Pennsylvania in and around the Allegheny National Forest.
Am interested in kayaking as much as possible as well, so any info on that would be helpful as well.
Any other thoughts that might be helpful would be appreciated too!
Fairly new to these longer trips and venturing out of state. So far have done Michigan, Kentucky, Ohio, and Tennessee.
Thanks for any help!
Bev
14 REPLIES 14

K_and_I
Explorer
Explorer
Bevteacher4 wrote:
And I for sure only want flat water!

I don't know how much time you have planned for Mohican, but there is a flat river that runs through the campground. My son kayaks it frequently.
K_and_I
2011 Rockwood 2604
Nights Camped in 2019: 85
Do we have time for shortcuts?

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If you want some primo flatwater paddling, check out the Adirondacks in northern NY.
2017 Grand Design Imagine 2650RK
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Bevteacher4
Explorer
Explorer
And I for sure only want flat water!

Bevteacher4
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much! I always wear a PFD and so does my dog! I will look on line to get the pass, I wondered about launch fees and park entrance fees. I have a sit on top Kayak, so hope the waters will be warm enough by end of August. I sure am looking forward to this trip!
Thanks again!
Bev

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbopp wrote:
We did a raft trip at Ohiopyle & the Young 14 years ago or so. I heard open canoes aren't allowed anymore?

Correct on the canoes. The 7 or so mile commercialized section below Ohiopyle is highly regulated now days by the state DCNR. Kayaking that section is not for the kayaker whose experience is with flat water or slow moving rivers, they are class III and IV rapids, and some can be closer to, if not class V, at higher river levels.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We did a raft trip at Ohiopyle & the Young 14 years ago or so. I heard open canoes aren't allowed anymore?
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

fireman41
Explorer
Explorer
Ohiopyle state park would be a good area to check out if you are into river kayaking. But it's a few hours south east Allegany State park. Also if you want to see our Elk head down to Benezette Pa and check out the Winslow hill elk viewing center.Just down the from there is Kettle creek state park is a real nice park right along the river.

As far as the hills go, we have a few. Most are short but there are a few that are 2 or so miles long and range any were from 4 to 11%. Just down shift some and most likely you won't even have to touch your brakes.

You more or less going to be in my back yard,so if you have any questions feel free to ask.

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry guys, we were canoeing on the reservoir a few years back over Memorial day & got our reminder about wearing our PFD's. Maybe the regs have changed? And I get a 2-year PA launch permit.
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Liketoroam
Explorer
Explorer
PFDs are required on ACOE operated facilities under 16 feet. Pa fish commission requires them from November to April on any water boats under 16 feet.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
Spent many weeks out that way as an Eagle Scout. Nice area for extended backpacking.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Bob_E_
Explorer
Explorer
We have a camp on the edge of ANF near Ridgeway, PA. The Clarion River is nice for canoeing and kayaking. We have canoed all the way from Ridgeway down to Hallton, about 20 mile trip. In a canoe and easy paddling, this is pretty much an all day trip but you could do it faster if you wanted. Depending on how much or how little rain we get, the river can be shallow between Ridgeway and Portland Mills for canoes, but kayaks might be better. Below Portland Mills is great with a couple decent (but not crazy) rapids closer to Hallton depending on how high or low the river is. For a short hour or two ride, put in at Arroyo-Portland Road and go down to Hallton-Spring Creek Road. This is the best stretch of river in that area and is 3.5 miles long. There are parking lots and canoe ramps at each.

Love's Canoe in Ridgeway runs a canoe rental service and you can arrange for him to drop you off or pick you up downstream and bring you back to your car.

Ralph_Cramden
Explorer II
Explorer II
mbopp wrote:
We used to go to Red Bridge every year and still get down to that area at least once a year.
If you're heading south from NY and take Rt 219 be warned - from Rt 17 / I86 it's a rough road to the Pa line. And the town of Limestone is a speed trap, 40 MPH but it's so rough you don't want to go faster anyhow.
If your route map tells you to take Rt 770 west off of Rt 219 it's a moderately steep road. I've driven further south on 219 and then west on Rt 59, it's a bit of a backtrack but not as steep.
We hook up with Allegheny Outfitters in Warren, they shuttle us and our canoe to the Kinzua dam & we paddle the Allegheny river back to their livery in Warren. If you launch at a Pa State boat launch you need a $10 launch permit but since the Kinzua dam launch is Federal it's a moot point.
And I need to look at my ANF map, there's a small unmarked launch area I believe is called Kinzua Bay.
Oh, PFD's are required when paddling the reservoir. We got a gentle reminder from a Ranger once.

PFDs are only required on ACOE operated facilities or from November to April, I forget the exact dates. It's best to just get the registration from the PA fish commission for 10 bucks online that's good yearly for a yak. Much cheaper than the $105 citation you'll get from the fish warden for straying beyond some unmarked boundary, and covers you statewide anywhere. Dont be surprised to be questioned by a fish warden who has walked into the wilds 5 miles from the nearest access or road. They're not lazy and only patrol from their truck cab. Also on Kinzua or any other ACOE lake, do not have so much as one beer in a cooler to drink with your lunch. That will set you back $205 and during the summer they check tenaciously at popular facilites. Especially when patrolled by the coast guard auxiliary weekend warrior folks.
Too many geezers, self appointed moderators, experts, and disappearing posts for me. Enjoy. How many times can the same thing be rehashed over and over?

mbopp
Explorer
Explorer
We used to go to Red Bridge every year and still get down to that area at least once a year.
If you're heading south from NY and take Rt 219 be warned - from Rt 17 / I86 it's a rough road to the Pa line. And the town of Limestone is a speed trap, 40 MPH but it's so rough you don't want to go faster anyhow.
If your route map tells you to take Rt 770 west off of Rt 219 it's a moderately steep road. I've driven further south on 219 and then west on Rt 59, it's a bit of a backtrack but not as steep.
We hook up with Allegheny Outfitters in Warren, they shuttle us and our canoe to the Kinzua dam & we paddle the Allegheny river back to their livery in Warren. If you launch at a Pa State boat launch you need a $10 launch permit but since the Kinzua dam launch is Federal it's a moot point.
And I need to look at my ANF map, there's a small unmarked launch area I believe is called Kinzua Bay.
Oh, PFD's are required when paddling the reservoir. We got a gentle reminder from a Ranger once.
2019 F250 XLT Supercab
Just DW & me......

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
About like Ky. Cooks Forest is very pretty. Tionesta is goo for a kayak. Golden hill is pretty in the summer but may still be snowing in July. Sure is cold this year.Only thing I remember are Leeper and Bradford because my Aunt owned an oilfield in Bradford so we spent a lot of the summer there with my cousin. Be aware of presense of Timber Rattlers although they try to avoid you, carry a walking stick to scoot them away. They are endangered so it is illegal to kill them.
https://www.summitpost.org/northern-allegheny-plateau/171825