cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need phone advice for aging parent

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are FT. My Mom has hearing aids, but can’t hear me on our iphone. I want to stay in touch, but need help finding options. I checked in to the thing they advertise where you can read what someone is saying, but it says you need an internet connection for it to work. Mom has no Knowledge of computers... I will try to find someone with a land line to see if she can hear me when I use it. Any other ideas? Thanks!
16 REPLIES 16

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
RVcrazy wrote:
Thanks for the ideas! Mom is not capable of using a cell phone. We tried several previously. We will check with her phone co. since she has a land line to see about text. My sister just bought an ATT phone that has 5 boosters, but Mom needs to push the booster with each call. She doesn’t remember to push it. I will tape a note to the phone as a reminder. Thanks again for the suggestions. We will work our way through the options ...
Does Mom live alone? I suggest a roommate or group home to get some assistance.

pyoung47
Explorer
Explorer
The hearing aids that I have (as others have suggested) are capable of streaming from an IPhone. This allows me to easily here the phone as well as stream Netflix etc. I'm not sure a $6,000 solution is what you are seeking, though.

These are Resound brand.

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the ideas! Mom is not capable of using a cell phone. We tried several previously. We will check with her phone co. since she has a land line to see about text. My sister just bought an ATT phone that has 5 boosters, but Mom needs to push the booster with each call. She doesn’t remember to push it. I will tape a note to the phone as a reminder. Thanks again for the suggestions. We will work our way through the options ...

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
My Mom got the caption phone provided to her for free. She just pays for basic landline service. She did have to have internet, but her senior apt complex provides wifi throughout the complex, so she didn't have to purchase. If she didn't then were were just going to get her a router without a computer, since she doesn't know how to use one. (she can hardly work her flip phone). Her hearing aid provider sent in the paperwork for her phone and they delivered and set it up. BTW, she claims phone service as a medical expense, since it is required to make the caption phone work and for her it is a hearing device.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
"The bluetooth hearing aids will only work with a cellphone."

Some companies offer a device that will work with a regular land-line phone to interact with the Bluetooth capabilities of hearing aids.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

lynndiwagon
Explorer
Explorer
Get her hearing aids with bluetooth connectivity. Many manufacturers offer them. Good luck, fought this problem for several years with my FIL.

On Edit: I see she has an old pushbutton phone. We added a cellphone to our plan and gave it to him. I think it was ten bucks a month, which was cheaper than the landline phone. We had him carry the thing around so he could call us from anywhere....even if he fell and couldn't get up. The bluetooth hearing aids will only work with a cellphone.
Lynn & Diana Wagoner
Three Boston Terriers
2011 Chevy 3500HD, DRW, 4X4
2014 Big Country 3650RL
Retired

Happytraveler
Explorer
Explorer
3boxerss wrote:
I know it sounds off the wall but my mother swears she can hear me better when I put my IPhone on speaker when I call her... She has an old pushbutton house phone..

Same here speaker to speaker! Mom has a landline phone and she puts it on speaker. I always say mom do you have your hearing aids in, LOL. She also has a Jitterbug that she never uses. Dad has the phone in her purse in case she gets lost in the shopping mall. She always forgets how to use the phone and she probably couldn't hear the ring. I always tell her if we get separated meet me at Macy's in the shoe department. My dad is 91 and does quite well with the iPhone and iPad. Mom's favorite saying is Screw the Golden Years, LOL.
Charlie, a male Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
Katie, a female Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier

3boxerss
Explorer
Explorer
I know it sounds off the wall but my mother swears she can hear me better when I put my IPhone on speaker when I call her... She has an old pushbutton house phone..
2017 Wildwood XLite 201BHXL
2016 Ford F250
Previous Camper 2001 Bantam B19 by Trail Lite

STBRetired
Explorer
Explorer
Check into a Jitterbug phone from Great Call. Got one for my dad and it worked better with his hearing aids than his land line. Very simple to use for the technology challenged.
1999 Newmar MACA 3796 F53 6.8L
2016 Ford Edge Sport
Roadmaster Sterling A/T with Brake Buddy Select

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
Before spending money, check with the local phone company; they may have a program that gives elders a phone that also shows the conversation in text form. Years ago my mother in law needed one and you just get a doctor to sign a document and submit it to the phone company. Good luck

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
My hearing aids can be hooked to the phone with Bluetooth.

Yep. Go to Costco for the best deals on this type of device, as well as all their other hearing aid equipment.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

2chiefsRus
Explorer
Explorer
This Might Work for you.

My Mom used to have a Presto printer. When Presto went out of business, they sent me the link to the above company. Haven't tried it yet but it is interesting.
Dave & Kathy
2007 Monaco Knight 40PDQ towing 2018 Ford F-150 & 2017 Harley Trike
Fulltime 2007 to 2016, now halftimers
Before you give someone a piece of your mind, make sure you can get by with what will be left.
Our Blog
National Parks Visited

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
My hearing aids can be hooked to the phone with Bluetooth.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy just got hearing aids. They are connected to his iPhone via BlueTooth so me can hear phone conversations very clearly.