cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Approach to the Grand Tetons

C_J1
Explorer
Explorer
In terms of view and vistas, is it better to approach the Grand Tetons from the west or from the east?
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C
9 REPLIES 9

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
CloudDriver wrote:
From the east for sure! Drive route 26 over the Togwotee Pass from Dubois. Great scenery all the way and not a difficult pass to cross.

Agree 100%

one_strange_tex
Explorer
Explorer
I will add another vote for US 26 approaching from the east. You go around a corner coming down from the pass and the entire front of the Teton Range is revealed as you drive around a bend. The first sighting of the mountains rising suddenly from the flat plain of Jackson Hole is breathtaking. Of course, every other view of those mountains while visiting the area is great too.
one_strange_texan
Currently between RV's
Former 5th wheel owner (Montana 3402RL)

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
My favorite view of the Tetons is from Mormon Row:

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
C&J wrote:
How about coming down through West Yellowstone on US 191?

If you're staying in W. Yellowstone that's the most logical way to get to the Tetons, south through Yellowstone. Don't concentrate so much on seeing them while driving. Once you're in the park you'll get the best views right from the park road. Also, take some hikes for different views. Many hikes are easy and gorgeous.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
C&J wrote:
OK, but not as good as from the east at least until you get to Jackson Lake. And the best view of all--hands down, is from Jenny Lake. I worked in Yellowstone many decades ago, so have been to and from it through every entrance. Coming into Grand Teton from the east on US 287 and leaving Yellowstone to the northeast via US 212, the Beartooth Highway, are still my favorites.

PS: If you are going to Yellowstone through Colorado, you might be interested in my blog HERE.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

C_J1
Explorer
Explorer
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C

Isaac-1
Explorer
Explorer
I tend to second the thought of Togwotee pass from Dubois WY, it is a scenic pass much of it inside a national forest, makes a great prelude for the national parks.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
The most scenic views of the mountains are from the lake shore, where the roads run more or less N/S. You see them from the east coming into Moran, but compared to the lake they are still distant.

The west slopes of the mountains are gentler (ID side), and roads are further way. There isn't an access road from the west, unless you count ID33/WY22 Teton pass. Most regard that as too steep for RVs.

US26/89 follows the Snake River further south, so like US191 is essentially a south entrance.

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
From the east for sure! Drive route 26 over the Togwotee Pass from Dubois. Great scenery all the way and not a difficult pass to cross.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚