Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7 Pin Issue

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
Hi All,
So getting ready to camp tomorrow but when we tested our brake lights, turn signals, etc.. we noticed that the left turn signal did not work unless I kept wiggling the plug. If I wiggled just right, the signal was fine. But once it moved slightly it stopped working. Do you think I need to replace the connector ? I'm not very knowledgeable about the electric component such as this but if it is a diy type of project I'm up for it.
10 REPLIES 10

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
After you fix the problem get one of the plug guards to protect your plug from the weather or dragging on the ground.
Plug guard
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality – Ayn Rand

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Once my contacts are are all working good I usually quirt some WD40 into my sockets before connecting up. Seems like we all have duct tape - bailing wire - can of WD40 in the side pocket. Squirting WD40 in and then moving the plug around abit to get the WD40 into everything. ALot of folks like to use the dielectric greese from a tube which is probably better than the WD40. I've never tried that...

The idea is to keep the corrosion down alot from sitting...

Good idea sticking the 7-way cable end between the two propane tanks cover out of the weather. I do that as well when the trailer is just sitting there...

If the blades are too bad to use you can purchase a 7-way cable from ETRAILER.com and hopefully it will will have the same color sequence your old one has. Would be easy to replace/hookup in the cable connection box. Mine is located just under the trailer side where the tongue area start. Standard Electrical box is what is using. The cable wiring is color for color inside the electrical box using those large YELLOW twist wire nuts...

Sounds like to me it is just grit and grim on your blades and sockets...

I back-in and hook up and usually pull my trailer out from where it is parked in a long section of the driveway. Then I can get out of the truck and do my DOT safety light inspection walk around before I leave my somewhat circle driveway... If one light isn't working then I squirt more WD40 into the socket and move it around some more. This usually fixes the non-working light not working due to grit and grim on the connections.

Then the second test I always do is when I start out on the side road before leaving my house area I will use my Electric Brake Slider knob ONLY to stop the truck and trailer at the stop sign that leads out to the main road. This gets the moisture out of the brake drum area and makes sure my Electric brakes are working....

Guess we all have our working routines that works best for us hehe...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Assuming everyone here is talking about a 7-BLADE setup verses PINS. The Truck Camper is about the only thing that uses pins I think...

This is my 7-WAY hookup...

Google Images

I plug one of these 7-way testers into the truck side first to determine which side has the problems. If all of the small LED lights work correctly on the truck side then the problem is connections of the trailer side... Gets me started in the right direction right away...

google image

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Clean the contacts with a piece of sandpaper wrapped around a small blade screwdriver. Apply dielectric grease to prevent future corrosion. When not in use, stick the connector end up inside the propane tank cover to keep it dry.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Make sure it’s not a broken or loose wire inside the trailer plug by holding the plug firm and wiggling the wire at the back of the plug.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you replace the connector every time it makes poor contact you'll be replacing it every trip. Plugging it in and out several times can help to wear thru the oxidation on the contacts. Get a can of spray on electrical contact cleaner, that can help as well. Or, as suggested, bend the little pins a bit to make better contact. Trailer light plugs can be protected from the weather when not plugged in by putting them inside a plastic pop bottle or something to keep the rain and dirt off.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Now days take a cell phone picture before you take apart.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

cccougar
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the insight.

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
The tabs in the truck side need to be tweeked. I slip a small curved end pick into each terminal and spread it out just a little. The truck side provides the tension to make good contact. After I adjusted mine it takes some effort to fully insert it. It will line up and go in and then require another push to fully engage.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Basic screwdriver and wire stripping job, just write down the position of the colored wires before taking it apart. You might try cleaning the contacts in the truck and the plug first.