cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

30-amp Power Inlet

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
I'm pretty tired of trying to push about 30 ft. of power cable back into a little hole in the side of my travel trailer after every use.

I want to convert it to a 30-amp twist-lock inlet... 30-amp only.

Any suggestions for a quality kit that will last, or the individual parts?

Thanks
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
20 REPLIES 20

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
sgfrye wrote:
dougrainer wrote:
Just buy a 30 amp extension cord. Then just pull out the necessary few inches to connect the 2 ends and connect to the CG plug. The amp rating of the 30 amp cord is way higher than the combined 50 foot of the 2 cords together. Then you have that extra 25 feet if you need it in the future. Doug

X2

This is what I do

X3

(Honorable mention to DutchmenSport's setup)
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
As to the person who removed his Marinco inlet and the person who can not understand how it can be "Troublesom"

There is an old saying "Different strokes for different folks"

And the law of requisite variety: You may live only so long as TOTAL CHOICES exceeds FATAL CHOICES.

Both statements say the same thing... Choice is good.. I respect both the person who does not wish to wrestle the cord in and out and the person who does not wish to mess with the Marinco. Which does not bother me at all.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
Just buy a 30 amp extension cord. Then just pull out the necessary few inches to connect the 2 ends and connect to the CG plug. The amp rating of the 30 amp cord is way higher than the combined 50 foot of the 2 cords together. Then you have that extra 25 feet if you need it in the future. Doug

X2

This is what I do

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
I did this on a previous TT. One thing you may find is that the opening for the mouse hole is larger in diameter than the new power inlet housing. I found a 1/8" thick HDPE cutting board at a dollar store. Even had cross-hatching on it to help hold the caulking. Perfect! Used a jigsaw in a simple jig to cut the inner and outer circles. The inlet covers are available in round or square.

Def. go straight for the Marinco/Park Power kit. Beware of the knockoffs and cheapo equivalents out there. Hubbell has one that would be good too.

Instead of buying a 90 degree adapter, see if you can get a complete cord with the 90 degree connector. With some diligent shopping around, you may find one for around the same cost or not much more. Those adapters can be as much as a cord itself.

FWIW, there's two types of the locking collars - one is threaded and the other is 1/8 turn. I've found the 1/8 turn is much easier to use.

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
The twist-lock kit, which is sealed on the side of the TT, keeps critter's from crawling in also.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

gmctoyman
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you have a good storage place fou the cord. Often, on the connected cords, the cord goes into an area that is otherwise unusable due to access.
Dave W. AKA "Toyman"
KE5GOH - On 146.52
RV's ? What RV's ???
Apache Pop-up
Classic GMC Motorhome
07 Leisure Travel Sprinter
Do Boats Count ?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
That sounds like a plan, but I don't ever want to push another cord back into that tiny hole again.
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Dang Doug why didn't i think of something like that? :S

I converted to Marico eons ago.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
For the longest time ... like on 3 different travel trailers, I just kept the cord tucked inside the wall and pulled out the plug just long enough to plug in an extension cord. Rolling up the extension cord was no problem at all.

Then, our current camper, I cut the cord, made it shorter and ended up plugging in a surge protector. The original 35 foot cord? I attached a new end on it, and use it for the "extension cord". So I don't have to deal with stuffing the cord inside the hole now. I just roll it up and throw it in the pass through.

If you consider this, you may save yourself some modifications to fit that new connection with the screw in mount cord. (something to think about)....

If anything happens to the surge protector, I can just unplug it and plug back in the original cord and go back to stuffing it in and out of the hole. If we ever sell the camper, I'll take the surge protector with me and just plug back in the original cord. (it works for me).

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
SoundGuy wrote:
Marinco Park Power Conversion Kit

I will second that as well. It is the standard in the RV world.

Two other suggestions

Cut the cord oh say six in hes above the ground (pull it all the way out first) and put a TT 30 plug on the RV part and outlet on the cord part and use an extension cord.

But the link is the right way to do it.

While you are doing that. Add a Progressive INdustries HW-30 c

Might as well. all the same job
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Had same problem on a Jayco. Small door and hole and small cabinet always got the cable twisted and jammed. I replaced orig door with a larger open back door with lock on it. Easy, cheap, and enough room to reach inside if the cable twisted and jammed. Worked great.
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I doubt the cord is heavy enough to cause any issues, if you have any concerns about the cord sticking straight out you can add a 90 degree adapter.
https://www.campingworld.com/marinco-griplock-right-angle-adapter?cvsfa=2734&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=33373831...
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:
I removed the troublesome twist lock connection ...

Can't imagine why it would be "troublesome" ... I bought this Marinco Park Power Kit so many years ago I don't even remember when but have used it on multiple trailers. It's currently powering our 2014 Freedom Express which is now about to begin it's 6th camping season - no issues at all. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380