cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I-80 tolls

soje
Explorer
Explorer
My last several trips to Pa. I TRIED to AVOID the tolls.
My question is concerning the highway robbery of the toll roads on I-80. On some roads with my 5th wheel I was charged for 5(FIVE )axles when I only have a total of four.
Any idea of the total amount (approx) in $ if I-80 is used from Chicago to the Pa. turnpike.

Am I wasting time and money avoiding the interstate 80 toll roads?
15 REPLIES 15

hanknjoyce
Explorer
Explorer
If you are headed to D.C. area (or even southern Pennsylvania) a still-little-known route is I-70 East into Washington PA, then I-79 South to Morgantown WV and then I-68 through western Maryland. I-68 rejoins I-70 in Hancock MD south of the PA Turnpike. We have done it many times (used to live in Baltimore and kids in Indiana) and as recently as 2 weeks ago. No tolls, beautiful scenery, no winding, barrier-prone PA Turnpike and virtually the same distance...and less stressful.

Hank
GS Lifetime
2005 Mandalay DP
On the road in Fort Wayne, Indiana

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
bukhrn wrote:
Not really sure if there is a toll on I-80 in PA, except for the Delaware Water Gap Bridge between PA and NJ, they've tried a few times, but it was shot down (for the third time) in 2010.

Last time we drove I80 across PA, in 2016, the only toll was at the Delaware River bridge. The toll is westbound only, free going eastbound.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not really sure if there is a toll on I-80 in PA, except for the Delaware Water Gap Bridge between PA and NJ, they've tried a few times, but it was shot down (for the third time) in 2010.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

yr2017
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
We just came west from Breezewood, PA, to Goshen, Indiana on the turnpike last week. I-80 in Indiana was absolutely awful roadbed wise. I would avoid it.

Technically it's I-90 (Indiana Tollroad)
Big AL
DOD - 02 APR 2020 - CANCER

soje
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all for the input

pirlbeck
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago we drove from western Iowa to Washington, DC. We took I80 out and we spent $49.00 on tolls and $42.00 on gas for my wife's Prius. On the way home we dropped south to I70 and spent almost nothing on tolls, the little we did spend was just getting out of DC. On the way out we tried to purchase a E-ZPass transponder, but we were told that there was no such thing as an "instant purchase" and that it had to be ordered and mailed to us. I think tolls are about half price with the E-ZPass.

Here, west of the Mississippi tolls are not typical, other then the Kansas Turnpike which I think is funded solely with tolls......no tax dollars are used.

After the trip east I felt like the state of Iowa should charge every car with plates from eastern states that have toll roads $25 or $50 to use our interstate system.:)
2009 Lance 845
2021 Flagstaff 529RLKS 36'6" fifthwheel
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
19.5 Rickson wheels with Michelin XZE tires
Air lift bags with 72000 wireless onboard air
Hellwig Big Wig rear sway bar
Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks
Torqlift tie downs

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
We just came west from Breezewood, PA, to Goshen, Indiana on the turnpike last week. I-80 in Indiana was absolutely awful roadbed wise. I would avoid it. Ohio was good roads all the way as was Pennsylvania with a couple of construction sites.

We were 4 axles, Class A DP with a toad 4-down, class 5 in one state, class 4 in another. Maybe you were looking at the class designation. . . not necessarily axles.

Breezewood, PA, to Ohio, $57.80

Ohio to Indiana, $44.50

Indiana west to exit 96 (Goshen), $11.60

Fuel was cheaper in Ohio by 30 cents a gallon (diesel fuel)

We tried to buy an EZ Pass when we first got on. The story is that 7-11 has bought out all the concessions at the service plazas and were "redoing" the system, so NO devices were available anywhere along the turnpike. We didn't try in Indiana because we were almost done, but that would reduce the tolls considerably. I do think the charge is based on axles. . . I would argue if they charged me for more than I had.

We did overnight at one of the service plaza RV areas. $20 for 50 amp and water with a dump station. Nice and quiet actually with the overhead fan running.

WE normally never run the turnpike, but my 93 year old Mom had suffered a fall and was in the hospital and we wanted to get to her.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
When we can we avoid the interstates, toll or no toll. When we need to get from A to B & avoiding the interstate is too complex we simply pay up, if that is what it takes & go. The reasoning is the avoidance of the toll is going to cost more in fuel along with wear & tear with the stopping & starting at all the intersections.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
For your consideration, this is the route we like.

I80 east to I65 south to route 30 across IN and OH, then I71 to I76 to join I80 or the PA Turnpike near Youngstown. No tolls except south of Chicago before I65 and on the PA Turnpike. We take I80 across PA as the PA Turnpike tolls have become too expensive for our liking.

Route 30 is all divided highway. Between I65 and Valparaiso there are some traffic lights and some traffic. Once east of Valparaiso route 30 passes through farm country and there is little traffic and few trucks. A very pleasant drive, especially after the craziness on I80 south of Chicago.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We avoid the interstates also and have found that most US Highways work well for us. We are also retired and would rather add miles to avoid traffic and congestion. Small town are part of the enjoyment of this lifestyle.

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
As far as I know, in Illinois I-80 has only one toll. The cost is dependent on the time of day, but I believe it’s less than $3.00. You might have to search for toll calculators state by state.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
We've taken it several times don't worry about it got IPASS with automatic replenish and it's on the DW's CC.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

ADUS
Explorer
Explorer
If your in no hurry, pretty scenery.
If you need to make time, pay up......

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
I rarely travel via Interstates.......much prefer secondary/back roads cause I enjoy the scenery and relaxed drive EVEN if it causes a bit more distance/time.

I'm retired and have NO time constraints so I would rather enjoy the trip vs dealing with traffic, tool booths, idiots exiting/merging etc on Interstates
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31