cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New to Trailer camping, what are some must haves, and wants

CA83
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought our first Hybrid camper and we know it is a little small but we are hoping we can make do for a few years in it. I want to know what are some must haves and great things to want for the camper. We are putting a list together, "WE NEED" it and a "WE WANT" list.
Help me fill this list out.
26 REPLIES 26

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a "TAKE" list on the computer and print it out before leaving. It lists everything we might need to "take" on a trip. Like, cameras, fish gear, food, coffee, shoes & clothes, snacks, drinks, etc. Also lists things we need to do before leaving the house--like, mail pick up, water the lawn and plants, etc. Before we walk out and lock the door, we go over the list one last time-once we had forgotten our passports.
Have fun. You'll get in the grove in no time.

ZINGERLITE
Explorer
Explorer
Make a couple shake down runs at a near by camp ground. You can either run to the store or head back home to grab something. After a couple of trips you'll have a good idea of what you want.

I end up tailoring my camper to the trip now. If were leaving for a week or so i brink everything and the kitchen sink. if its a quick weekend up north where we wont be doing much hanging out at the camper then i pack light. Clothes, coffee provisions and maybe breakfast stuff. Might even want to toss a pack of hotdogs and smore stuff in the fridge. on long trips i pack everything. I even go through my tool box in the garage. bring things i don't need.

Some trips are for relaxing at the camp ground and some trips with the camper were just using it as a hotel room on wheels.

think about your trip as your packing. Grab things from the house. If you keep finding yourself saying "ah ****, that pot is in the camper" buy another next time you go out. If you find yourself constantly annoyed by something you never use and its always in the way at the camp sited then take it out. Alot of items i thought id need get tossed.

OleManOleCan
Explorer
Explorer
At some campgrounds a small TV and 50' of cable connects you to campground cable TV.
Other campgrounds lack TV access, some lack WIFI and Internet too.
Carry a book, and games. Rent movies to watch on a laptop.

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
If you boondock the equipment is somewhat different and essential like toilet
paper which you normally don't need to take in a private campground or state
park. Generator would be useful and some sort of protection from all kinds
of animals some intelligent and others not so. Don't mean to alarm you but
it is sadly essential today. Insect repellent could be your best friend in
many places where ticks and no "seam's room. We landed in beautiful park in
British Columbia with a wonderful swimming pool overlooking snow covered mountains and a lodge but no one was around. That's because it was "no seams'"
season and explained why folks were dressed in netting from head to toe. These
bugs were worse than deer flies and could suck blood quicker than you could
lift a hand. Your life depended on getting back to the camper while you
still had some left. I could hear others laughing at us that day. Then we went to the ocean and got bit by jellyfish floating in the beach area that would have been the last straw except some college girls were laying around with wardrobe malfunctions. Suddenly the scenery helped me to forget the jellyfish. Well if your lucky enough to have this happen then you will need sunscreen and a big beach towel. My most sought after item when looking for a camper today is the size of the fresh water holding tank. I recommend sixty gal plus for a week with kids and then conserve as much as you can anyway you can. Hauling five gal jugs of water and holding them above your shoulder to pour down a little hole in the RV can take some skill and endurance. If your still in the popup phase please ignore this last part but if your planning to upsize some day keep
this advise handy.

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
A great woman.
some really good dogs.
wool blankets and down sleeping bags
good chairs
a couple of Dutch Ovens
a decent bottle of whiskey, a little weed
some Grateful Dead CDs

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
I have an article for just this reason:
http://learntorv.com/newbie-first-trip-essentials/

I talk about the NEED TO haves, SHOULD haves, and WANTS/NICE to haves.

Hope it helps!
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

lewisr
Explorer
Explorer
A must have for the kids is a sleeping bag, especially at their age. It was at the top of the list for my kids. Let them pick out their very own.
'14 F-150 Super Crew 3.5EB 3.73
'19 Heritage Glen 282RK

postmandug
Explorer
Explorer
fitznj wrote:
in addition to the above:

- a pack of playing cards
- a board game or two
- a few books/magazines
- sipping whiskey !!

#4 is very important!
I was looking in my bar a few weeks ago for a bottle of bourbon from a barrel pick some friends did. Nowhere to be found. Walked in the TT one day and remembered Iโ€™d put about 6 bottles of GOOD bourbon in a cabinet to share with others while camping!

??
2017 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2012 Ford F250 w 6.7L Turbo Diesel, 3.73 rearend

โ€œAnd into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soulโ€

hokeypokey
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a spiral notebook from Dollar Store. Itโ€™s got my checklists in there. You will absolutely discover things you wished you had brought, so jot it in the notebook then it gets packed next time. A good thing to remember is unload and leave home the things you find you wonโ€™t need. It takes up your valuable space.

FF286
Explorer
Explorer
As someone mentioned popup gizmos will help in the summer, they help keep the bed area much cooler. Electric blankets for cold weather. Last year on spring break it was cold enough for small snow showers with the canvas walls and air below the bed it was cold.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
In truth. All you HAVE to have, Is a sewer hose, water hose. Leveling blocks, and wheel chocks. Everything else falls into the want category.

Like what kind of dinnerware you want, or how many pots and pans you want. Or if you want to use sleeping bags, or sheets, and blankets. Also do you want to use a grill, or campstove, do you want to cook inside ( we NEVER do). Do you want a griddle? What kind of chairs do you want if any. Do you want an awning matt, Do you want an awning? You really don't NEED any of that, but most want it.

We hardly EVER use the pots, and pans. We cook most everything on the grill, or griddle. You may not want to.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
OkieGene wrote:
For me, must have a way to make coffee.
I was boondocking last week and forgot coffee filters for my propane drip coffee maker. Broke out my 14 cup campfire perkolator. Had instant if that didnโ€™t work.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

OkieGene
Explorer
Explorer
For me, must have a way to make coffee.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I have propane skillet, all 12 volt entertainment. Parking lot camping nope.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt