cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bed and canvas questions please help

Lemonhead78
Explorer
Explorer
The first thing I notice when it's time to come home after a camping trip is the foldable mattress is moist on the bottom. Or damp . Moist/damp is this normal with these beds ? Is their a way to prevent it ? To be clear I mean the underside of mattress that I'm not in contact with.
The other concern I have is the canvas above me. It's only been used for one season but it's starting to get a little smelly. How do you guys clean yours to keep it fresh smelling ? Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

hybrid_dw
Explorer
Explorer
We always have a large bucket of Damprid actively catching moisture sitting on the floor. The previous owner would also use fabric softener sheets and spread a few around the inside when not in use. Remove them for a trip them replace for storage times. Takes care of any moisture and smell.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Lemonhead78 wrote:

So the condensation on bottom of mattress is normal ?

Not saying it's normal. Just that it's quite common, especially on hybrid mattresses with fabric bottoms. But the ones with vinyl bottoms didn't absorb the moisture.
It happens when it's cold outside and warm bodies sleep on the mattress.

Some have had success with 1/4" foam insulation with a foil backing and some have with Reflectix.
For me, I had better success with a wool blanket underneath.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

phemens
Explorer
Explorer
Yes. Colder door, warmer mattress will always create condensation. When we did extended trips, occasionally we’d prop up the mattress and point the light/fan at it for a couple of hours to let it dry out. On the way home instead of repacking the mattress on the door, we’d prop it up inside the trailer to let it air out. In colder weather we had a piece of reflectix under the mattress to provide some additional insulation, that helped a bit with the moisture.
2012 Dutchman Denali 324LBS behind a 2006 Ford F-250 V10 out of Montreal
1 DW, 1 DD, 1 DS, 2 HD (Hyper Dogs)
1200w solar, 600AH LIFePO4, Yamaha EF2000 gen, Samlex 3000w Inverter

Lemonhead78
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:

Warm air rises. If you're seeing moisture from condensation on the bottom of your mattress, you probably just need a vapor barrier under it. It's coming from the ground at night as the air cools outside, it seeps up from underneath the trailer. Also wouldn't hurt to make sure there's no gaps in the bed frame for that warm moist air to infiltrate.

I don't think you're familiar with hybrids beds.
There is no bed frame. The 3" foam mattress lays on top of the opened bunk door.
So there is no gap and that's why there is condensation. There is no air flow.

So the condensation on bottom of mattress is normal ?

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Jim@HiTek wrote:

Warm air rises. If you're seeing moisture from condensation on the bottom of your mattress, you probably just need a vapor barrier under it. It's coming from the ground at night as the air cools outside, it seeps up from underneath the trailer. Also wouldn't hurt to make sure there's no gaps in the bed frame for that warm moist air to infiltrate.

I don't think you're familiar with hybrids beds.
There is no bed frame. The 3" foam mattress lays on top of the opened bunk door.
So there is no gap and that's why there is condensation. There is no air flow.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Lemonhead78 wrote:
The first thing I notice when it's time to come home after a camping trip is the foldable mattress is moist on the bottom. Or damp . Moist/damp is this normal with these beds ? Is their a way to prevent it ? To be clear I mean the underside of mattress that I'm not in contact with.
The other concern I have is the canvas above me. It's only been used for one season but it's starting to get a little smelly. How do you guys clean yours to keep it fresh smelling ? Thanks

Warm air rises. If you're seeing moisture from condensation on the bottom of your mattress, you probably just need a vapor barrier under it. It's coming from the ground at night as the air cools outside, it seeps up from underneath the trailer. Also wouldn't hurt to make sure there's no gaps in the bed frame for that warm moist air to infiltrate. ('Warm' is relative).

There are many spray treatments for canvas after a camping trip before it's stored but the best way to 'prevent' smells is to dry and air it before storage. If possible. There were times in the PNW, where I'd spray it with a weak bleach and water solution because it was impossible to get a day that wasn't moisture ladden for it to dry properly.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.