cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Beartooth Highway

C_J1
Explorer
Explorer
Beartooth Highway in mid June in a 34 foot motorhome (no toad.) Is it doable?
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C
22 REPLIES 22

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We did it in mid June of '82 in a Dodge Maxi van and 21' TT. The Dodge had a 360 CID 180HP engine and 3.23 rear gears. Absolutely no problem. We even made a couple of pull out stops on the way up. Have not had a chance to be back since with newer vehicles. It was our first time up a big hill as we are from Indiana, but were living in Rapid City at the time. Have a good time.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. I'm from Helena and we were wondering if they were going to make it this year. We went last year that had much less snow on the first full day open. It is amazing driving through places with snow 10 feet tall on both sides. All the skiers were out. There was one area that is like a big side of a bowl and this guy with his yellow lab was driving his snowmobile to the top with the dog on it and then letting his snowmobile go down on its own where it would stop at the bottom of the bowl. He would then ski down like a couple thousand feet with the dog hot on his heels. He'd put the skis on his back dog on the back of the snowmobile and go back and do it again.

We are headed to Glacier this year in our new TT and have reservations at the Glacier campground about a mile south of the West Glacier entrance. I'm thinking it could take to late June or early July to get the Going to the sun road open. It's still winter on top. You can go see the Logan Pass parking lot webcam. Oh well, we will just go round south and get to Many Glacier. It's open and drive up to the edges of the snow closures to see. still fun.

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Today's Billings, MT. newspaper. Interesting article and pictures.
http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/beartooth-highway-expected-to-open-for-memorial-day-weekend/article_2ffcb72e-85f7-50c4-969c-02b0a4d74c44.html

Kavoom
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, though if you are in that area and have time, take 14A and hike to the Medicine wheel. It is a short one mile hike and it is awe inspiring. AND, 14A can be fun all by itself...in a toad. Oh, there is a steak house in Cody that has some really good steak. Can't remember the name but all the locals will know what it is. Very good, and nicely priced.

Braces
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with others,it would not be fun! Also while going through the park if there was a "bear Jam" you would probably not be able to pull off to observe and many of the parking areas for viewing areas would not accomodate your MH. Spend some time at the museum in Cody, we enjoyed it for almost 2 full days. I have driven all the other major roads in YNP with my 5er and Trail Ridge Rd in RMNP in my tv But I won't be towing over RMNP either.

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on what Kavoom said earlier. No, no, please don't.

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
We took it in '82 with a Dodge Maxi Van and a 21" TT. The van was only 180 HP and it had a 3.23 rear end gear. Didn't over heat or have any other problem. We even stopped a couple of times to look. No problem restarting up the grade. I also realize that newer equipment is heavier, but they have a lot more power now days. This was my first experience climbing a real grade with any type on vehicle. We stayed a week in the park. Your equipment and your skill level so be careful and enjoy the ride.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
C&J wrote:
Thank you all for all the great information, advice and opinions.

You've persuaded me to camp out in Cody, rent a car, and drive over the Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways without listening to the Ford V-10 (maybe joined by my wife?) screaming in agony the whole trip.

FYI, you can make a loop of this trip.

Take route 120 north out of Cody to route 296 (the Chief Joseph Highway) to the junction with route 212 (the Beartooth Highway) to Red Lodge, then route 308 to Belfry and route 72 south back to Cody. Route 72 becomes route 120 when you cross the MT/WY state line. Not sure how long this loop would take in time as we have done all sections except route 308 on different trips and there are many pullouts to enjoy the scenery.

On the Chief Joseph Highway, I highly recommend a stop at the pullout at Dead Indian Pass for great mountain views and at the pullout adjacent to the bridge over the canyon of Sunlight Creek. Walk the pedestrian walkway on the bridge for great views into the canyon. Many other pullouts along the entire loop that are worth a stop.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450๐Ÿ™‚

mark1228
Explorer
Explorer
I drove it a couple of years ago in a 26' class C with no problems but I have driven large vehicles all my life and have driven in the mountains all my life

maddog348
Explorer
Explorer
Mont G&J ~ Great pics !! Remember it well. (Rav4 toad) In the midst of some kind of biker rally. One poor gal fell onna corner had to wait for emergency vehicles. Beautiful but sure glad we were inna CG in Cody.

C&J ~~ Cool Museums Buffalo Bill is a not to miss. also some neat street shows.

TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ HaveFun JM2ยข ~~ YMMV

C_J1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for all the great information, advice and opinions.

You've persuaded me to camp out in Cody, rent a car, and drive over the Beartooth and Chief Joseph highways without listening to the Ford V-10 (maybe joined by my wife?) screaming in agony the whole trip.
2011 Itasca Sunova 33C

Mont_G_J
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know much about the hill climbing power of your motorhome, but I made the climb easily pulling my 5th wheel. Each person has their own comfort level driving on the side of a mountain, to some it's a beautiful sight, and to others, it's a nightmare experience. Below, are photos of what you can expect.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I've been following your posts and it sounds like you have a wonderful trip planned. However, I'd really recommend that you bring a towed vehicle along for your best experience. You're talking of a 34' motorhome on Beartooth Hwy, and Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mtn. and touring through Yellowstone. It sounds like you want to experience everything around the area and that's the way it should be but you'll be able to do everything if you had a car. Why aren't you bring one? I can't imagine doing a trip like this without a car. It would be so much fun for you to check out the nooks and crannies of the areas or for shopping, groceries, a meal in town, driving 50 miles to see another area, driving a narrow gravel backroad to see the quiet beauty, animals, lakes, rivers. Only taking the motorhome for doing all the extras you could do?
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Please donโ€™t. You will hold up traffic, be cursed at and will not enjoy it
Your cooling system better be in top shape. God help you if you break down and it will be hard on your drive train.

It was fun on a motorcycle.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.