cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Traveling through upstate NY

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
We're planning a trip for Acadia in early August and have to travel through NY state. Figured out a nice schedule that put us at around 300 miles a day. That puts us between Buffalo and Rochester the first night and around Lake George the second. Went to book at Lakeside and Heathstone and they both want a 2 night minimum =(

Is there any way to work around this policy? Can I call in and tell the phone operator that I'm staying 2 nights in 2 different NY state parks? If not does anyone have recommendations for inexpensive private campgrounds along the shore of Lake Ontario and somewhere near Lake George?
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH
9 REPLIES 9

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
Here's another idea. Join Harvest Hosts. It's a "club" of people who only need an overnight and farms, breweries and vineyards that will let you stay one night for free. There are 6 locations between Buffalo and Rochester.

We stayed at a very nice vineyard in Cape May NJ for a night. The following night we stayed at a farm. Free of charge - no hookups. Usually ok to run the genny.

Of course, staying at a vineyard for free can be way more expensive than a night at a campground.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

greyhook
Explorer
Explorer
There's Hamlin Beach on Lake Ontario about 45 minutes off the 90,(https://parks.ny.gov/parks/20/details.aspx)
Frost Ridge in Leroy,
http://theridgeny.wixsite.com/trny
If you have kids, there's Darien Lake theme park,
https://www.darienlake.com/lodging-campsites
Then there's Beaver Meadow, about 45 south of the thruway, exit 48, Batavia
https://beavermeadowcampground.com/

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
There are 5 CG that are pretty easy to get to off I-87 (Northway) in the Lake George area which is about an hours drive north of Albany.

1. Lake George RV Park
2. Ledgeview RV Park
3. MooseHillock
4. Lake George Escape (Warrensburg)
5. Another CG in Warrensburg in very close proximity to #4.

Cannot comment on requirements for #'s 1,2,4, 5, but #3 wants 3-4 nite requirement for advance reservations. All 5 will pretty much $100/nite on weekends. Don't know about weekdays. #'s 1,3,4 are kid friendly. #'s 1,2 sites are pretty close to each other and #1 has paved roads, #2 nestled in trees. #3 is our favorite, stone roads/sites but H-U-G-E! #4 I think sites are common width, trees, couple pools (IMO best kid friendly). #5 which name I don't know anything about, but along w/ #4 is a few miles past LG and the crowds. #'s 1,2,3 are same exit which can take several minutes to get thru traffic. #'s 4,5 same exit as well (good hill you have to pull between exits).

There is a CG at NY/MA line,off 90, but someone else will have to elaborate on that one.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed at Lake George RV Resort. I do not know there policy but it was a great CG and will go back. I haven't run into a two night policy yet. We also stayed at Newbourg KOA for an evening. Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
If you can live without hookups check you could do a state park, although weekends may be hard to come by. I've only run into multi-night requirements if it's a holiday weekend. As a last resort, there is always Walmart.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

nypatnva
Explorer
Explorer
Fair Haven State Park along lake Ontario,

Address
14985 State Park Road
Fair Haven, NY 13064

Phone: (315) 947-5205
Nice park, stay there many times
2016 dodge ram
champion generator 1978 Serro Scotty Highlander (restored)

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Especially if it's not a weekend, I suspect you could get a site at most of the New York state parks at that time of year without a reservation. They don't require two night's payment for a single night of reservationless camping. You can check periodically online and see how many sites are reserved as time goes on and gauge somewhat from that how crowded things are going to be.

Another alternative is to choose a park you'd like to spend a day or two at and stay a bit longer. Letchworth is one good example that's in the general vicinity of your first night's desired driving distance...though maybe a bit on the long side.

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fulltimers wrote:
One way to work around the 2 night policy is to book and pay for the 2 nights and stay one. They are not going to chase you down the road and make you stay another night. Of course it will cost you double for 1 night.

Yeah, but $74/night is a bit steep for electric only and then no hookups ๐Ÿ˜ƒ
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Fulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
One way to work around the 2 night policy is to book and pay for the 2 nights and stay one. They are not going to chase you down the road and make you stay another night. Of course it will cost you double for 1 night.
Fulltimers
Fulltimers Weblog

2003 Rexhall Aerbus 3550BSL
W-22 Workhorse
2005 Saturn Vue (Mr. Toad)
3.5L V6 Automatic