cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BW Companion Hitch

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
I find it extremely hard to get the top part of this hitch off. The polyurethane bushing seem to fit very tight in the pockets. It's doable in the truck bed, but sitting on a bench without the pucks engaged... impossible... had to slide the whole thing to the floor and use a crowbar to get it apart. Cleaned the lite coating of lube off the bushing the the Mant suggested... no help... Hitch has about 5K miles over two yrs. Though that over time it would become a little looser fit. Nope.
Are others finding their hitch this tight. Any tips, suggestions about getting it apart, would be appreciated.
HTML
14 REPLIES 14

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Puddles wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Like I said use proper lube at each location and report back!

Wellllll... purchased the lithium grease as suggested and coated the polyurethane bushings. It did help... sitting on the floor I can lift the top part off without the whole hitch coming up. Chest high, it's still very hard, but the top part will move without the bottom... My old Drawtight hitch came apart in 3 pcs which made it easier... Guess I need more time on the nautilus machines at the YMCA. 🙂 Thanks too all who responded to my question.

Simply remove the head from the base while in the truck then remove the base. Bottom line B&W makes their parts fit and that's why they do not make noise towing like some others do.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Wellllll... purchased the lithium grease as suggested and coated the polyurethane bushings. It did help... sitting on the floor I can lift the top part off without the whole hitch coming up. Chest high, it's still very hard, but the top part will move without the bottom... My old Drawtight hitch came apart in 3 pcs which made it easier... Guess I need more time on the nautilus machines at the YMCA. 🙂 Thanks too all who responded to my question.
HTML

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Call B&W, they most likely will send you new uprights.

Sounds like good advice... going to try the white lithium grease first though... i had just put a lite coating of reg grease on the polyurethane mounts when I first purchased the hitch. Thought maybe the grease was causing a vaccum to form. Maybe the bushings are just a little to big... Thanks
HTML

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Call B&W, they most likely will send you new uprights.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Try eating your Wheaties. I have removed the base and the head for storage and never had a problem removing the head from the base for reinstall. Accually don't eat Wheaties myself prefer saugage, eggs, grits and biscuits.

Hey... this thing is sitting on my work bench... makes the release handles chest high... check to ensure the locking pins are pulled out... in a micro burst of screaming and lifting, the whole hitch raises about 1" ... get out the pry bar and wedges... gave up wheaties when Bruce started wearing skirts..
HTML

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Try eating your Wheaties. I have removed the base and the head for storage and never had a problem removing the head from the base for reinstall. Accually don't eat Wheaties myself prefer saugage, eggs, grits and biscuits.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
You are supposed to lube the top of the rubber mounts with White Lithium grease periodically. Don't forget the grease ZERK on the bottom side of the head. I also place a thin film of grease on the jaws or kingpin surface the jaws clamp around.

Signed your B&W "HeavyWeigh FanBoy" Club President

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine has always come apart with no serious effort on my part. I do keep the rubber cushions well greased.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Are you saying you cleaned the grease coating off, before installing head? You are supposed to lube the poly cushions with lithium grease before installing head. They do fit snug, and maybe with grease, cause a little suction, while lifting off, but first I've heard of extreme difficulty. A call to B&W will give best answer.

Jerry

Yes, I lubed it before installation... thought maybe the lube was causing a suction effect... cleaned the bushings off, which had no effect on removal effort.
HTML

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Are you saying you cleaned the grease coating off, before installing head? You are supposed to lube the poly cushions with lithium grease before installing head. They do fit snug, and maybe with grease, cause a little suction, while lifting off, but first I've heard of extreme difficulty. A call to B&W will give best answer.

Jerry

Toolguy5
Explorer
Explorer
I have the B&W companion slider. Going on 3 years now. The head or top part comes off real easy. I just pull the two cotter pins hold the locking pins and pull up on the arms and it lifts right off. I use white lithium grease on the rubber bushings like the manual suggest.
I probably have removed mine about 50 times or so over the years.

B&W can be very helpful when having issues. Maybe worth a call to them.
Dan & Patty
Miss Pickles the Pomeranian Princess Rainbow Bridge 8/8/2023
2020 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali 6.6 Duramax / Allison tranny
2021 Jayco Eagle 319MLOK
BWRVK 3710 companion
Maddy the Pampered Pom @ Rainbow Bridge 12-3-2013

tfdcc
Explorer
Explorer
I would first call the folks at B & W Hitch, they will bend over backwards to help and are very knowledgeable. I've had two companion hitches, one with the B&W mount and the one now has the Ford puck system. Both are very good hitches, but the one now is hard to separate the head from. It has to be mounted in the truck to get it off. I don't see any abnormal wear or feel any problem when towing.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
CumminsV12 would be best to answer this. I have the Patriot (new last year) and no problems.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"