cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Good MI camping w/motorcycle?

Rinehart
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about an August week of RV camping in Michigan with full hookup, good motorcycle riding, and good beeches to walk. No kids, just the wife, me, toyhauler and motorcycle. Any suggestions? We’ve never rv’d north. Thanks.
Larry and Phyllis
2015 Jayco Octane ToyHauler
2003 GMC 1500HD Crew Cab
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic
13 REPLIES 13

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
The whole Leelanau Peninsula in northern Michigan is gorgeous with quaint little towns and meandering roads. Nice beaches and Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore - Platte River campground.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anywhere north of Muskegon on the Lake MI shoreline - Traverse City is nice, so is Petosky.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
You would enjoy driving through thr "tunnel of trees" N of Harbor Springs. Also the drive to Northport in Leelanau County.

You will find plenty of less-busy paved county roads in the northern counties. The most sandy beaches are along the west side. So maybe get a good map and look at the NW part of the lower peninsula, and look into some of the numerous cgs in that area.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
For a really pretty, well maintainted and full hook up resort type rv park in northern Michigan that would allow you some nice roads to travel and explore check out Pere Marquette RV Resort in Baldwin. You would never expect to find this caliber of park in the woods like this. Here
Then you can ride to Lake Michigan and walk the shore at the Ludington city park right on the lake.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Rinehart
Explorer
Explorer
Great information! Thank you all. The motorcycle is a touring Harley Davidson (2010 Ultra Classic). All road riding, not an extremely loud bike. Thanks again!
Larry and Phyllis
2015 Jayco Octane ToyHauler
2003 GMC 1500HD Crew Cab
2010 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, the KOA chain has an open door policy for motorcycles. Other campgrounds have "just "in and out" restriction for motorcycles, still others don't want them at all.

Check the CG first.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
The Traverse City State Park is almost in downtown Traverse City ! Not the place to go for QUIET, but they do have a very nice beach ! August is still "prime" vacation time, but the last week things really start to slow down. Many places are DEAD after Labor Day.

A bit farther north on the west cost is Wilderness State Parks. The have several camping areas, including some that are "rustic" (pit toilets, no electricity).

I have not been there in a quite a few years, but along US2, just west of the bridge, there are many pull out right next to the beach. They used to allow overnight dry camping. Someone needs to update this ! Everything else you requested is there.

There are DOZENS of state and national forest campgrounds. Almost all are rustic.

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
SidecarFlip wrote:
North of the bridge (Mackinaw). The roads are bad south of the bridge and way too many 'idiots' in cars south of the bridge. N

Sorry Sidecar you're entitled to an opinion but this statement is just not true.....

I've lived in this state for 40 years and made many trips up north (we own ground up north) so I find driving on bombed out roads and inconsiderate speeding drivers in the lower to be the opposite of the upper where, because of Michigan's Lane Mile road formula, the roads are better maintained and fewer people means fewer idiot drivers plus the general lifestyle is more laid back.

Whether you think it's true or not is not germane. Just check the MDOT stats for your answers.

Forums are about someone's opinion and experiences. You gave yours, I gave mine but I can back mine up with hard stats that you can go look at as well, if you want to.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Jim549
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest the Traverse City area as a base for camping. There are a few very nice full hookup campgrounds in this area. And from there you can ride north or south along the lake shore. We spend many hours riding in this area and really enjoyed the ride.
The Haights
Jim & Nancy
Bear (our little furry Shichon)
Home State: Michigan
HOC #3976
2017 Pioneer QB300

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
If you just want nice rides out in the country, I would draw a line west from the thumb and anything north will have plenty of options. Even lots of areas south but more likely to have to deal with traffic.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
North of the bridge (Mackinaw). The roads are bad south of the bridge and way too many 'idiots' in cars south of the bridge. N

Sorry Sidecar you're entitled to an opinion but this statement is just not true.....
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

SidecarFlip
Explorer
Explorer
North of the bridge (Mackinaw). The roads are bad south of the bridge and way too many 'idiots' in cars south of the bridge. Nice 2 lane riding in the North as well. Not sure about campgrounds, when we go we camp disbursed. If you have an ADV bike be sure to get an RV/ATV sticker and display it. The DNR will be out and checking. I run stickers on my ATV bike, my quad and my RV. They are available at Cabelas in Dundee, Michigan (off 23 in the way up).
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

bid_time
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on what kind of motorcycles your talking about. Trail bikes, dune climbers, cruisers, loud obnoxious?